IGNORED

Birmingham forum

Coombsy

What's being said in the forum now?
Click to join the Vital Birmingham forum!

After the busy December period, the games have now started to fall back into the routine whereby we have one game a week. This week it is the turn of Bristol City to host our Birmingham side.

Despite Bristol City struggling in the Championship, I have actually chosen their striker, Jonathan Kodjia as the one to watch this week. Now, Birmingham City have kept clean sheets in their last couple of games against the tough opposition that is Derby and Ipswich. However, if their strikers had been more clinical, this may not have been the case. We did defend well, and I am not questioning that, but we also let them have a few chances that they failed to take.

We cannot be as easy-going on Saturday though as Jonathan Kodjia is a very tough striker to play against. He has scored 10 goals this season which is remarkable considering how he hasn't had the service that he needs. He has also managed 34 shots on target, so he is clinical when given an opportunity. 

What I notice the most about Kodjia is that he is both fast and strong. Often, you get a player who is pacey but who cannot shoulder a defender off the ball. On the other hand, there are many strikers out there who rely on their strength but are slower than a tortoise. Kodjia reminds me of Ighalo, the Watford striker. He is pacey enough to go beyond the defence, but also has the physical side to his game, despite not necessarily looking the most powerful. 

For all the world, I love Robbo. I think he has been outstanding the last few games and has been a major contributor to our clean sheets. But he doesn't have the pace to match the young forward and I can only see this being a bad thing if Robbo was to start. The addition of Shotton today would add pace to the back four which is needed however, I doubt that Ryan is match fit and will come into the side straight away. So Spector would be my preferred option.

I just hope that we don't take our current form for granted. The opposition have decent players despite their injury struggles and have recently shown that with a victory and league high fliers, Middlesbrough. We have to start off fast and score early, and then it'll be a comfortable afternoon. If we do not, then they may sit deep and it'll be a whole lot tougher for Gary and his men.

Read more:  http://www.birmingham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=432586#ixzz3yeinIPqQ

4 minutes ago, Coombsy said:
What's being said in the forum now?
Click to join the Vital Birmingham forum!

After the busy December period, the games have now started to fall back into the routine whereby we have one game a week. This week it is the turn of Bristol City to host our Birmingham side.

Despite Bristol City struggling in the Championship, I have actually chosen their striker, Jonathan Kodjia as the one to watch this week. Now, Birmingham City have kept clean sheets in their last couple of games against the tough opposition that is Derby and Ipswich. However, if their strikers had been more clinical, this may not have been the case. We did defend well, and I am not questioning that, but we also let them have a few chances that they failed to take.

We cannot be as easy-going on Saturday though as Jonathan Kodjia is a very tough striker to play against. He has scored 10 goals this season which is remarkable considering how he hasn't had the service that he needs. He has also managed 34 shots on target, so he is clinical when given an opportunity. 

What I notice the most about Kodjia is that he is both fast and strong. Often, you get a player who is pacey but who cannot shoulder a defender off the ball. On the other hand, there are many strikers out there who rely on their strength but are slower than a tortoise. Kodjia reminds me of Ighalo, the Watford striker. He is pacey enough to go beyond the defence, but also has the physical side to his game, despite not necessarily looking the most powerful. 

For all the world, I love Robbo. I think he has been outstanding the last few games and has been a major contributor to our clean sheets. But he doesn't have the pace to match the young forward and I can only see this being a bad thing if Robbo was to start. The addition of Shotton today would add pace to the back four which is needed however, I doubt that Ryan is match fit and will come into the side straight away. So Spector would be my preferred option.

I just hope that we don't take our current form for granted. The opposition have decent players despite their injury struggles and have recently shown that with a victory and league high fliers, Middlesbrough. We have to start off fast and score early, and then it'll be a comfortable afternoon. If we do not, then they may sit deep and it'll be a whole lot tougher for Gary and his men.

Read more:  http://www.birmingham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=432586#ixzz3yeinIPqQ

What a rubbish write up, he never referred to him as "The Wheelie Bin" once 

Next up for Gary Rowett`s promotion chasing Blues is a trip to face relegation threatened Bristol City at Ashton Gate on Saturday afternoon.

A win for Blues will see them leap into the play off places but it won't be all that straight forward as The Robins will be hoping to secure a victory that sees them move out of the relegation zone.

Here's where I think the game could be won or lost for Blues�

Aerial duels�

Bristol City have some sizeable height in their side with the likes of Aden Flint, Jonathan Kodjia and Nathan Baker.

This could come in handy when it comes to set pieces so Blues need to be wary of this. They should take particular notice of Aden Flint who has been known for his goal scoring exploits over the past few seasons.

French striker, Kodjia, will also pose an aerial threat so preventing crosses from reaching him will be crucial.

The Blues rearguard did a great job in stopping Daryl Murphy last week against Ipswich so I am sure they will have completed their homework on Kodjia and will cope ok.

Run at the defence�

Bristol City have conceded a huge 47 goals this season which shows that their defence is very shaky. They are also quite poor at defending counter attacks which will be of great advantage to Blues.

Whenever our midfielders get the opportunity, they should look to run at the Bristol City defence. Whether that be Maghoma, Toral, Buckley or even new recruit Diego Fabbrini.

Our attacking players are in a rich vain of form at present and the Bristol City defence will not like the prospect of having to defend a one on one against the likes of Toral and Maghoma.

The Robins enjoy keeping possession and are good with the ball at their feet and I think this could play right into Blues` hands.

When an attack breaks down, Blues should look to spring a counter attack on them and get bodies in support of Clayton Donaldson so that we can maximise his output.

Key player for Blues?

I think this could be another game for Jon Toral to make an impact in. Bristol City`s defensive frailties should give Toral the opportunity to find pockets and work his magic in between the midfield and defence.

If the on loan Arsenal attacker can continue his fine performances then this will massively help Blues in their play off push.

Share article via email

Read more:  http://www.birmingham.vitalfootball.co.uk/sitepage.asp?a=432596#ixzz3yeo1M19B

17 minutes ago, Coombsy said:

The Robins enjoy keeping possession and are good with the ball at their feet and I think this could play right into Blues` han

In view of this , hopefully Pembo will tell the players to give the ball away,  so as not to play into Birmingham's hands! :)

2 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I said at the start of the season Kodjia would get as many goals as Gray did last season. I reckon with Tomlin here and more firepower supplying him he could manage 20 which is what Maynard got all those years ago. 

10 more in, what is it, 18 games? Thats a tall order.. hope you are right.

3 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Worth noting that as much as Tomlin is a goal scoring midfielder, some of the rueful comments from Boro fans on Twitter were remembering good passes he made last season. Could be exactly what we need.

He does make some lovely passes. Remember a lovely ball to Bamford in a big game against Derby. He will definately help us score more and I'm hopeful it is enough to keep us up. 

55 minutes ago, downendcity said:

In view of this , hopefully Pembo will tell the players to give the ball away,  so as not to play into Birmingham's hands! :)

When in their penalty box, playing it into their hands would be effective.....

Record breaking even. Imagine... 6/7 penalties in one game.

I hope Pembo and co are aware of this?!?

50 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I said at the start of the season Kodjia would get as many goals as Gray did last season. I reckon with Tomlin here and more firepower supplying him he could manage 20 which is what Maynard got all those years ago. 

Well Stanley,if he gets ten more we will be watching championship football next season...hope your right!....

Archived