IGNORED

It has to be given to JP...

WsM-Red

I, like many others on here, was convinced we'd start being left behind in the championship. Cotts sacked, club just lost at home to a team who came up with us last year, multiple stories of players turning us down, very small squad with the same 11 being played week in week out, and the number 2 throughout all this promoted to number 1 which I was very against.

Then we go and beat a team who hadn't conceded a goal in something like 12 hours of football, flying at the top of the championship and looked dead certainties to walk the league. All whilst we were in an awful run, conceding goals from the counter, late goals, just goals in general. Although they missed an absolute sitter and also had another half chance, we looked solid.

Thought it was just a fluke, players maybe excited about change and found some motivation from somewhere that all of a sudden the same 11 possibly wouldn't start week in week out and there was a chance for all. Although we looked poor against WBA, so did they, and they were a prem team full of current and ex internationals who needed 180 minutes of football to beat us by a single goal from a mistake by one of our defenders. I liked that JP mixed the team up, explaining he had one eye on Leeds on the weekend.

Then we lose by a single goal away at Leeds, when we looked like the better team for long spells of them game. But again, the old 3-5-2 was gone and we were looking far more solid.

Then the in form team in the championship come to town looking to enter the playoff places with a win against us. They looked second best throughout most of the game. We had 3 or 4 chances to score, good chance too. They only troubled our goal once to produce a very good save from ROD, but other than that I thought we looked like the better team.

When you also bear in mind that we have signed 4 good player since he's been in control (this may or may not have been him), this clearly shows that he isn't a stumbling block to players joining. He certainly tightened us up defensively which is what we needed to play like since the start of the season (look at Preston), he's changed the formation, he's bought in some good signings, he's given other players chances, he sounds very professional in the media and says all the right things, the players are clearly playing for him, he has recently said he is trying to help Kodjia and spend one-to-one time with him and a translator (Cotts for whatever reason didn't do this by the sounds of things), he knows this club and he knows the players he's got.

If someone else came in now, how long will it take until they get to really know the players, what they're good at, what the need to improve etc.? What if he upsets a few individuals by not playing them, changing things too much etc.?

In summary, pretty much everything has improved since he was thrown in at number one. I think bringing someone else in now may potentially rock the boat and I for one would gladly take him as manager until at least the end of the season.

The longer he is 'in situ', getting reasonable results and performances, it looks inevitable that Pemberton will be given the job, in my humble opinion. Had there been an external, incoming head coach, logically he would have been in place before the 'window' closes to assess the squad and make his own opinions known to the club's 'recruitment team'. Then again, it is City............

Figures can change a lot of things, for example we've got 4 points out of 9, the same as Cotts got against those 3 teams. 

Massive game Saturday, personally I'd think Pembo until end of season if we win there. Currently haven't given it much thought to be totally honest. 

14 minutes ago, Andy Horsman said:

The longer he is 'in situ', getting reasonable results and performances, it looks inevitable that Pemberton will be given the job, in my humble opinion. Had there been an external, incoming head coach, logically he would have been in place before the 'window' closes to assess the squad and make his own opinions known to the club's 'recruitment team'. Then again, it is City............

Yes I agree, I think if they had someone else lined up, he would be in the job by now so he could make signings of his own. That is of course unless Mark Ashton is now the person who will be deciding on all signings, regardless of what a head coach would think...

Happy enough with the job Pemberton has done, but I'm not quite sure why we're talking as if he's completely turned around our season.  We've scored 1 goal in four games and won once.  There were plenty of games under Cotterill where we "looked like the better team for long spells of the game".

Still think we'd be mad to appoint a rookie, should we have the opportunity to appoint an experienced Championship manager in the Warnock or Pearson mould.

Why did they not giving it to him sooner.  Incoming players then understand what the situation is.  The same can be said for the new manager with the window, time to bring in his own players.  Who is bringing in these players at the moment?  Who indentifies what we need.  Who we need.  Whos team is this.  ? 

There simply isn't anyone better right now that would want to take the job. Additionally, the job is a lot less glamourous as they won't get a transfer window.

To top it all off, our transfer dealings have been terrible in both windows, so why would you want to join a club with no ambition to spend money to stay in the league?

Swansea gave Alan Curtis 'til the end of the season and then very quickly reneged on it. I don't think we should clarify or put a time frame on it; when the right man is available we will hire him. That might be JP in the end, but until he proves himself - over more than a few games: see Swansea/Curtis - no need for such sweeping confirmation.

3 hours ago, EnderMB said:

There simply isn't anyone better right now that would want to take the job. Additionally, the job is a lot less glamourous as they won't get a transfer window.

To top it all off, our transfer dealings have been terrible in both windows, so why would you want to join a club with no ambition to spend money to stay in the league?

"Terrible in both windows".

This month we've permanently signed a goalkeeper who's already impressed, we've bought a Championship standard full back, and we've recruited three good quality loans - one of whom signed for a Premier League club for £3.5m at the start of the season and did very well at a promotion-chasing Championship club last year.  All of this without a manager, while in the relegation places.

What exactly would had to have happened for you NOT to have described this as "terrible"?

9 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

"Terrible in both windows".

This month we've permanently signed a goalkeeper who's already impressed, we've bought a Championship standard full back, and we've recruited three good quality loans - one of whom signed for a Premier League club for £3.5m at the start of the season and did very well at a promotion-chasing Championship club last year.  All of this without a manager, while in the relegation places.

What exactly would had to have happened for you NOT to have described this as "terrible"?

We let two players go to Championship teams that are above us. As I said in another thread, this fixes a problem from last year that shouldn't have happened in the first place. I would've understood this if we made decent money from these moves, but we didn't.

I can't knock our use of the loan system, but we seem utterly unable to land anyone on permanent deals. Kodjia and Golbourne are two outliers that indicate poor transfer activity from the club.

We're still two signings away from looking like the side we should have looked like at the start of the season. For this window not to be seen as terrible, we need to sign proven Championship quality on permanent deals.

7 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

We let two players go to Championship teams that are above us. As I said in another thread, this fixes a problem from last year that shouldn't have happened in the first place. I would've understood this if we made decent money from these moves, but we didn't.

I can't knock our use of the loan system, but we seem utterly unable to land anyone on permanent deals. Kodjia and Golbourne are two outliers that indicate poor transfer activity from the club.

We're still two signings away from looking like the side we should have looked like at the start of the season. For this window not to be seen as terrible, we need to sign proven Championship quality on permanent deals.

I have to disagree. Under the circumstances this window has been far from terrible and I dare say has exceeded most expectations.

Our aim first and foremost is to secure survival this season; to that end it makes little difference whether we sign permanently or on loan at this stage. Signing proven Championship quality on permanent deals is virtually impossible when you clearly cannot guarantee they will still be playing in the Championship next season. I would argue that bringing in five players of the quality we have - by whatever means - is quite an achievement in our position.

41 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I have to disagree. Under the circumstances this window has been far from terrible and I dare say has exceeded most expectations.

Our aim first and foremost is to secure survival this season; to that end it makes little difference whether we sign permanently or on loan at this stage. Signing proven Championship quality on permanent deals is virtually impossible when you clearly cannot guarantee they will still be playing in the Championship next season. I would argue that bringing in five players of the quality we have - by whatever means - is quite an achievement in our position.

While I agree, I still maintain that we shouldn't have been in this position in the first place. Our attempt at panic buying last window showed this, and ultimately made us look like laughing stocks nationally.

This window tells the same tales. Our frugality has resulted in clubs rebuffing our advances on certain players. Despite our status as relegation contenders, we could quite easily secure some solid Championship players on permanent deals if we were willing to spend some money. Look at Newcastle United in the Premier League; a similar position to ours, but they've spent to improve their situation.

The team after the last window looked weaker than the one that won League 1 mere months before. We look stronger now, but I fear the damage has already been done.

This is why I don't think Bristol City look attractive to potential managers. Money wise, we seem to be clueless, and when we didn't back the last manager to give us any kind of meaningful success, it leads potential suitors to believe that when the going gets tough our board won't pony up the cash for their first or second choice players.

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

Although performances have improved, results have not. 1 win in 4 so far for JP, would be great if he can improve on that... but until then no point in giving out a contract. Jury still very much out in my opinion.

Forget the cup....four points from three games and- one goal conceded,and have looked hard to beat...certainly a steadying of the ship..maintain that steady form and we shall dig ourselves out.

17 hours ago, Just Red said:

Not the answer at all. He's done ok to steady the ship but one goal and one win in 4 is not overly impressive tbh. Had it been 4 wins then yea maybe but we have been down this road previously with Millen. We need to really kick on and Pembo is simply not a long term solution.

Not necessarily long term, but I certainly think from now until the end of the season at least, we've gone too far to give it to anyone else now. We can then always look at a Pearson/Moyes/other manager on a permanent if we maintain our championship status.

If however he keeps us up and we push on, then why not keep him on?

My view on this is that we will keep Pembo in the job until the end of the season then bring in LJ. He may well have agreed to take charge next season whichever division we are in, a situation that may have stopped us getting a big name now, such as  Pearson/Moyes, both of whom wouldn't fancy div 1 if we go down. Just my take on it. I am not in the know.

Archived