IGNORED

Our January business, from a rivals perspective

brady bunch

Worth a read, they rate our business as the best and there was little old me being disappointed...... must be listening to all the moaners on here too much. :gasmask:

http://www.itsmillerstime.co.uk/2016/02/january-transfer-window-how-rotherhams.html

Bristol City

Ins: Scott Golbourne (Wolves, undisclosed), Lee Tomlin (Bournemouth, loan), Ben Gladwin (QPR, loan), Alex Pearce (Derby, loan), Richard O'Donnell (Wigan, undisclosed).

Outs: N/A

On paper it looks a stunning month for the Robins, who despite being managerless recruited top quality players right through the spine of the team. Richard O’Donnell was the best goalkeeper in League One last season, Derby’s Alex Pearce is a rock solid Championship defender, Ben Gladwin is a talented central midfielder and Lee Tomlin was a key player in Middlesbrough’s promotion bid last season which ended one game short at Wembley. Scott Golbourne is a talent at left-back and they also fended off interest in ex-Miller Kieran Agard. If all those signings gel, City should pull away.

Rating: 8/10

16 minutes ago, brady bunch said:

Worth a read, they rate our business as the best and there was little old me being disappointed...... must be listening to all the moaners on here too much. :gasmask:

http://www.itsmillerstime.co.uk/2016/02/january-transfer-window-how-rotherhams.html

Bristol City

Ins: Scott Golbourne (Wolves, undisclosed), Lee Tomlin (Bournemouth, loan), Ben Gladwin (QPR, loan), Alex Pearce (Derby, loan), Richard O'Donnell (Wigan, undisclosed).

Outs: N/A

On paper it looks a stunning month for the Robins, who despite being managerless recruited top quality players right through the spine of the team. Richard O’Donnell was the best goalkeeper in League One last season, Derby’s Alex Pearce is a rock solid Championship defender, Ben Gladwin is a talented central midfielder and Lee Tomlin was a key player in Middlesbrough’s promotion bid last season which ended one game short at Wembley. Scott Golbourne is a talent at left-back and they also fended off interest in ex-Miller Kieran Agard. If all those signings gel, City should pull away.

Rating: 8/10

especially when compared to their ratings of the other teams…I think we did alright. Looking forward to seeing more Tomlin and Scotty, and the others. 

Disappointed we didn't get manage to get an extra striker and centre midfielder but overall we've had a decent transfer window.

We've signed some good solid championship players who've been there and done it at this level and look so much stronger as a squad than we did before the window.

I've seen Charlton fans online complaining that our business has been a lot better than their's as well so it's definitely not as doom and gloom as some people on here like to make out.

City's signing look good on paper but there are still flaws. Pearce is undoubtedly a good player, but unless Flint or Baker are injured, how often will he play? He'll probably provide backup, which is good, but won't improve the team on a regular basis. Gladwin seemed to be a good signing but he only played 60 minutes against Leads and was kept out of the team by Bobby Reid against Birmingham. He may not be match fit, and may improve in time, but time is something we haven't got. 

The one signing it's obvious we need, and didn't get, is another forward. 

I have to agree with most of the posts above. Unfortunately, our rivals haven't noted our lack of goals. We can be as solid at the back and that is good to see but 0.0 draws aren't going to keep us up and there will be times when we will need maybe 2 or 3 goals in a game to get 3 points. I just can't see that happening at the moment with our current squad.

I think if they looked at the bigger picture maybe our transfer window dealings don't look quite so rosy. I'm not complaining by the way, but maybe the other teams don't realise what a stuff-up we made of the last window. Yes we looked to have strengthened strongly now, but only because we failed so spectacularly before. If we had done our business fully and properly back in July/August we wouldn't need to be desperately plugging the gaps now.

6 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

City's signing look good on paper but there are still flaws. Pearce is undoubtedly a good player, but unless Flint or Baker are injured, how often will he play? He'll probably provide backup, which is good, but won't improve the team on a regular basis. Gladwin seemed to be a good signing but he only played 60 minutes against Leads and was kept out of the team by Bobby Reid against Birmingham. He may not be match fit, and may improve in time, but time is something we haven't got. 

The one signing it's obvious we need, and didn't get, is another forward. 

While I understand what you're saying, we now have a squad and we can rotate a little and rest players.  Against Brum we proved we can make chances and I believe the goals will come, with a win and some confidence it will get easier. If we can add another striker the team will look stronger, and it may be easier to get a loan in than a permanent at probably the worst time of the year to get a goalscorer ..... fingers crossed :fingerscrossed: 

If , and this is a huge if , we get a top striker in on loan then i think we can say that the recruitment team earned their corn .

We had goals in the team last season , we have goals in the team now .

If Tomlin lives up to his reputation then we'll have more chances and hopefully Kodjia , Wilbs and co can go on a goal scoring roll.

From the sound of those ITK.....

The final loan slot is going to be taken up with a top class striker. (if and when found!)

I don't think money will be an object with this. as it will only be wages needed and without goals we are likely to go down (as supercidered mentioned, lots of 0-0's will not save us...)

5 minutes ago, brady bunch said:

The final loan slot is going to be taken up with a top class striker. (if and when found!)

I don't think money will be an object with this. as it will only be wages needed and without goals we are likely to go down (as supercidered mentioned, lots of 0-0's will not save us...)

I think I might gamble on all our remaining matches being 0-0 would be enough. Just.

47 minutes ago, RedM said:

I think if they looked at the bigger picture maybe our transfer window dealings don't look quite so rosy. I'm not complaining by the way, but maybe the other teams don't realise what a stuff-up we made of the last window. Yes we looked to have strengthened strongly now, but only because we failed so spectacularly before. If we had done our business fully and properly back in July/August we wouldn't need to be desperately plugging the gaps now.

Absolutely right, but also the fact that we were so abject in transfer dealings and yet are still ahead of Charlton and Bolton and close enough to another 5 or 6 teams to have them realistically concerned must form part of that 'bigger picture'. Our dealings were bad, we are plugging gaps, but even without that we were always in touch of safety. So all in all it does seem rather rosy to me :) 

I reckon when gladwin gets match fit he will chip in with a few goals. I can see why people are a little despondent having not signed a proven goal scorer for the second time! However, on the whole our squad is now considerably stronger than it was 4 weeks ago so well done JP and co for addressing that issue.

2 hours ago, brady bunch said:

It shouldn't be, we haven't exactly broken the bank this have we

I think the lack of a marquee striker has clouded the perception of this window. When the reality is, as has been nicely summarised above, we've had a good window. Yes we're still playing catch up, but at least we're moving in the right direction and the impact of Ashton seems positive so far.

I think it's lazy to say we haven't splashed the cash. As proved by the business of teams around us, it is very tough going in the transfer market at the moment. Championship players moving between championship clubs for in excess of £10 million. Crazy. Value for money is hard to come by.

Two other points, firstly if reports are correct, we did try and get a bid for Dack accepted. If £2mill plus add ons was correct, that would probably make it one of the top 10 most expensive league one signings. 

Secondly, yes some of our rivals have got in some strikers, but would you really want any of them? The love affair with JET isn't helpful (3 goals in 13 apps for QPR) and Alex Revell?!? No thanks. None have proven championship calibre, the only would be Yaya Sanogo at Charlton, but his goal scoring record is hardly exciting. Hasn't scored in three years, yet to score at Arsenal and didn't hit the net in 10 appearances for Palace last season.

All this talk of missing out on a striker, but are people genuinely disregarding the fact that 1 injury to Korey Smith (or possibly Pack) and we are in a world of trouble?  If Smith picks up even a minor injury resulting in missing 3 or 4 games, that could be goodnight for Championship survival.

The lack of a new centre midfielder coming in is as big a problem as the lack of a Striker,  

The business that has been done and players coming in has been good, however after last summers abomination, the 5 signed in January was probably not enough, making it an ok transfer window, but certainly nothing better than that.   

The unknown factor in all of this is the departure of Steve Cotterill.

While in a different bracket to us, look at Chelsea's performances and results since Jose left - they are a different team, playing with confidence and belief.

We seem to have tightened up at the back and Tomlin's introduction will surely give  a more creative spark in midfield. If we concede less ( remember at the start of the season we need to keep scoring 2/3 just to secure draws!) there is less pressure and if confidence returns then perhaps we will get sharper in front of goal. 1-0 wins are worth just the same as 3-2 victories.

While we would all have loved a proven goalscorer to join last month, our goalscoring could improve just as a result of new additions, different formation, players more confident and just playing better all round.

Fingers crossed.

Archived