IGNORED

Have you ever played on those 3G pitches? not good news.

Never to the dark side

As much as I hate the daily mail. This is an interesting story. There may not be much substance to it but it raises a few open questions. Being a goal keeper that spent numerous seasons playing at goals north and Keynsham I don't have cancer but there's nothing saying it cant cause health problems.  To be honest though the biggest problem that 3g pitches cause are those ******* rubber crumbs that get everywhere, up your ass crack, all over your house. Probably more of a danger to hoovers.

1 hour ago, UncleAlbert said:

As much as I hate the daily mail. This is an interesting story. There may not be much substance to it but it raises a few open questions. Being a goal keeper that spent numerous seasons playing at goals north and Keynsham I don't have cancer but there's nothing saying it cant cause health problems.  To be honest though the biggest problem that 3g pitches cause are those ******* rubber crumbs that get everywhere, up your ass crack, all over your house. Probably more of a danger to hoovers.

Exactly. Those rubber bastards get everywhere. I once found some insidey work clothes. They had gotten into them from being sloshed around qith footy kit in the washing machine.

2 hours ago, UncleAlbert said:

Oh that brings back memories. P'in down rain, soaked through to the bone despite wearing jog bottoms, shorts and  boxers. Then as you say you get changed and the bloody rubber crumb is everywhere (you'd be surprised where it can go!!!). 

A story worth keeping an eye on I suppose, but as others have said, bacon and about a million other things have supposedly "caused cancer" over the years.

Ain't no point worrying about it. The next thing that they say causes cancer will be watching TV. ....

5 hours ago, UncleAlbert said:

Isn't the article saying it's the rubber crumbs that are the cancer threat...?

I do a lot of work in human health risk assessment from toxins/contaminants in the soil and I'll tell you right now this is bullshit. We could get into technical details (for a start lead and mercury are broadly speaking neurotoxins rather than carcinogens so wouldn't 'cause' cancer) or talk about the very limited exposure pathways in this particular instance (even if you're very keen at 5-a-side you might play 2 hours a day, 5 days a week. You'll ingest more carcinogens at a BBQ or on your morning toast), but my main point would be that this 'research' was conducted by the coach of a football team, rather than by an actual, qualified and resourced scientist. Because when actual qualified, resourced scientists looked at it, they found no risk

Archived