IGNORED

Lee Johnson - Managerial Record

Harry

1 minute ago, tts_city said:

Thats fair enough, but arresting the recent slide at Barnsley if there forum is anything to go by was a slide self inflicted but granted its all opinions. As I said if he is the one I will support him this season, if we go down yeah I will still be there, pissed right off but there none the less there.

Yeah, was going to reference him overseeing the slide as well - but then Pemberton has been here for the entire season slide, while also here for the slide under O'Driscoll, so (while obviously he was no.2 in that time) they're not too dissimilar.

Completely with you on your last point. We'll all be here. That's the beauty of it all.

Absolutely no idea if this is the best thread to offer this post-pub musing, we have so many threads all covering very similar things but it's open now so I'll dump this here.

Football has changed massively in the last ten years or so, gone are the days of the physio giving a player a painkilling injection so they could play without thinking what it might do to their long term health, gone also are the days of the working class hero who managed to avoid a life down the mines and became a footballer, these days players are highly trained athletes signed at a young age and developed under a sport science programme.

What a lot of players won't want, need or appreciate is some 'old school' type shouting on a daily basis.

Maybe someone who has played within the last 5 or 10 years and has a genuine appreciation of what it takes to be a modern footballer will be in a much better position to mentor and guide than someone who grew up playing under Mr Angry.

55 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Aah I see.

Near the bottom with 10 games to go is certain relegation.

Thanks.

Yep, 21st in the league, and had LOST 11 of their last 15 games.  They were on the slide Nick and looking doomed.
Were they "certs"?  Of course not.  But they were looking incredibly doomed based on their form.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2953091/Lee-Johnson-Britain-s-youngest-manager-33-Oldham-one-experienced.html

For those worried about a lack of experience, attached is a good article highlighting the difficulties of managing Oldham.  I believe his experiences in his first 3 years of management far outweigh anything the likes of Monk & Sherwood have experienced.

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yep, 21st in the league, and had LOST 11 of their last 15 games.  They were on the slide Nick and looking doomed.
Were they "certs"?  Of course not.  But they were looking incredibly doomed based on their form.

So "looking certain for relegation" and "heading only one way" doesn't mean "looking certs" then.

Come on mate no problem with you making a case for LJ even if I think its utter madness, but you have to admit, to spin being near the bottom on a bad run of form, as being "looking certain for relegation" is unjustified.

To put it another way, when we were not just near the bottom, but actually at the bottom, under O'Driscoll, were we "looking certain for relegation", then?

Just now, NickJ said:

So "looking certain for relegation" and "heading only one way" doesn't mean "looking certs" then.

Come on mate no problem with you making a case for LJ even if I think its utter madness, but you have to admit, to spin being near the bottom on a bad run of form, as being "looking certain for relegation" is unjustified.

To put it another way, when we were not just near the bottom, but actually at the bottom, under O'Driscoll, were we "looking certain for relegation", then?

Yes we were.  I'm not attempting to spin anything Nick, I think you're playing with semantics.  Oldham were 21st and had lost 11 of their last 15 games. That is a big big slide in anyone's terms.  So put it this way - it was certainly not looking at all positive for them.

Anyway - for the record, I'm not saying that I am totally convinced on LJ, nor that he'll be a great appointment.  It could easily be a total bust.  All I'm trying to do is add perspective to what seems an irrational outcry from a lot of folk who, mostly, are spitting feathers because of their own pre-conceived opinion of LJ the player.

23 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yes we were.  I'm not attempting to spin anything Nick, I think you're playing with semantics.  Oldham were 21st and had lost 11 of their last 15 games. That is a big big slide in anyone's terms.  So put it this way - it was certainly not looking at all positive for them.

Anyway - for the record, I'm not saying that I am totally convinced on LJ, nor that he'll be a great appointment.  It could easily be a total bust.  All I'm trying to do is add perspective to what seems an irrational outcry from a lot of folk who, mostly, are spitting feathers because of their own pre-conceived opinion of LJ the player.

Thing is Harry, as a consequence of my comments, you have gone from  "looking certain for relegation", to "not looking at all positive for them".

That's not semantics mate.

4 hours ago, Harry said:

I think most managers would have kept Oldham up that season, because;

Due to a freak of fixture compiling, Oldham had played most sides going for promotion twice before Johnson took over (hence the poor run) but then played sides near the bottom of the table after Johnson arrived.

Oldham had at least two games in hand on all their rivals, due to an FA Cup run - which included a Matt Smith-inspired win over Liverpool.

My take, for what it's worth, would be that there are parallels between our most successful recent signings - the best performers from the lower leagues - and appointing Johnson. 

There seems to be a broad recognition on here that the best players we've recruited over the past few years, and certainly those who helped us to promotion, were "young, hungry" etc. Players coming from smaller clubs, ambitious to work their way up to the top. Eg Smith, Freeman, Flint. None proven at higher levels when we signed them, all on their way up.

Indeed, this has led many to reject the idea of signing out-of-favour stars from higher divisions, as we have in the past. 

Strikes me that there are great similarities with the strategy that worked well for us in terms of players, and appointing Johnson as manager. Reading that Daily Mail article made me think he's had it pretty darn hard ta Oldham. I would be surprised if Barnsley was much more luxurious. Now, we're not the biggest fish in the world but I'd like to think it will be a step up for Johnson. If he sees it like that, he'll be excited and will throw his all in to this. Much the way e.g. Aden Flint has. 

I don't know if he'll be any good... maybe I'm just rationalising his appointment to myself. I do think it would be inconsistent of us as fans to love the success brought to us by signings of lower league players, but reject out of hand the idea of reapplying that strategy to our manager. 

But hey, we're fans, we're emotional, we're allowed to be inconsistent! 

11 hours ago, TRL said:

For me he was a good midfielder who was massively missed as our results faltered when he was out of the team injured while going for auto promotion to the prem

Agree with this. I've always felt that we would have been promoted in 2008 if LJ hadn't been injured. I've never understood the vitriol towards him. He did a decent job for us and always gave 100%. He contributed to our promotion from league 1 and helped us nearly get to the Premier League. He seems a decent guy. An easy target I guess just because his dad was manager. Odd given his dad did a pretty good job for us too. Perhaps people preferred Noble over LJ. I loved Noble too but he wasn't the perfect midfielder either. 

If LJ is appointed, I hope the fans treat him fairly and don't judge him just because he used to be picked by his dad. That is the past. 

I think LJ and Bristol City could be a good fit. No guarantees of course, but there would be no guarantees if someone like Pearson was appointed either. 

Archived