IGNORED

Comparisons to Eddie Howe?

reformed_red

I often read, but don't post based on the fact I don't have time to check often and engage in discussion.

HOWEVER; after today's revelation about LJ being approached, I couldn't keep my opinions under wraps any longer.

A quick into for anyone interested (or who feel a new poster must surely be a WUM); I have been a ST holder at AG on and off for over 15 years. Following a long spell away from the Gate for varied reasons and a move down to Bournemouth, I got a ST this season, and travel up each home game and sit in the new family section with one of my daughters, who makes sure I am behaving, :laugh:.

My wife asked me recently why I don't just save the time and diesel and watch Bournemouth; my reply was, "It just doesn't work like that, babe." I love this club, and used to travel both Home and Away; and I love sharing the experience with one of my little girls - it's awesome. 

Anyhow, recently I have been dreaming of Moyes, or Pearson, and even made a perfectly sane rationale arguing the fact that Jose Mourinho would be a realistic target.

Having woken up from this unrealistic stupor, it's time to accept any of the above, or any of such ilk are unlikely to arrive at AG. Also; I don't buy into the club PR - you can't spin a win / draw / loss. It's results that count, no matter what dossiers and structures the club wish to implement, or claim they are implementing, you live and die by results. Hence my non-reaction to; "you'd be surprised by who is interested....".

I genuinely think that LJ could be an extremely shrewd acquisition. A talented player (IMO), articulate, ambitious. Knows the club. Football management is changing, and with it is the pre-requisite for the requirements of the attributes of the manager (sorry head coach). LJ, like him or not, fits the new model that seems to be the description for modern managers. To be fair, this scenario is not that dissimilar to appointments like Martinez (when first at Swansea - whose model seems to be working), Rogers (when first at Watford - their model seems to be working). Both of those were prior to getting promoted, granted, but it perhaps signals a longer-term bigger picture, with real vision and a proper plan?

Talking of which, my hometown (based upon the town where I live, NOT my real hometown), Bournemouth, seem to be making the same model work. And I can't help but feel from knowing Eddie Howe, LJ seems to be a similar sort of guy?   

Long post to make a simple point I know, future posts shall be less detailed, given the nature of introduction to the forum in this one.

A very well structured and reasoned post. It hasn't escaped my notice either that it was only a few years ago that AFC B was having to do everything possible just to stay alive in the league. Weren't they the first team to set up the now all too familiar Community Liaison Trust thingy? Even if the answer is another team,  there were enough tv and radio slots which made mention on how bad a state they were in. Look where they are now in 2016?

They had a really young manager that steered them to greater things. If Eddie can do it, why not Lee?

The difference being that Bournemouth, being a small club, on the verge of going out of the league, didn't have so many supporters with sky high expectations. They were happy for the club simply to remain in business and delivering that gave Howe the time to build something bigger.

I'm not saying that's an easy thing to do: I bet he'd rather have had the resources of City behind him, but in some ways Lee Johnson is doomed before he even starts by fans who are upset that he's not somebody else. A look at Soccerbase tells me that Howe lost his first 3 games at Bournemouth. If Johnson does that at City he'll have people calling for his head.

LJ's appointment is a pretty accurate barometer of where our club actually sits.  I for one think its not all bad.

He is not the "cheap option", as I am sure there will be compensation paid to Barnsley.  Have a look around at clubs, similar in stature to ours that have done well on the back of a relatively untried and tested young managers.

Only time will tell whether this works out.  But we are Bristol City, and we have landed possibly  one of the best up and coming managers in the Country. We actually should be pleased rather than underwhelmed. There is a blue print for success that has worked at Swansea, AFC Bournemouth, Burnley to mention a few, that is geared around a younger generational manager.

We now have ours. 

Its time to put the enduring speculation to one side of who or who may not becoming in.  Some have had dared to dream too big, and anyone other than Pearson, Moyes etc are going to be deflated today. Flip that around and we have a young manager, that has had two teams under his stewardship that on reflection has made better, on very small budgets.

Here, at least he will be backed.  Financially by the board and hopefully spiritually by us fans.

Its now time to embrace the new dawn. It can only go three ways, 1) He is the messiah we have all been waiting for. 2) We stagnate and don't move forward, possibly sacked in two years.  3) complete disaster sacked by the end of next season.

For one he has my backing until scenario 2 or 3 are reached.  Lets hope we can all afford him the time to grow into this role and take us to where we need to be.

Stevo

7 hours ago, BCFC_Dan said:

The difference being that Bournemouth, being a small club, on the verge of going out of the league, didn't have so many supporters with sky high expectations. They were happy for the club simply to remain in business and delivering that gave Howe the time to build something bigger.

I'm not saying that's an easy thing to do: I bet he'd rather have had the resources of City behind him, but in some ways Lee Johnson is doomed before he even starts by fans who are upset that he's not somebody else. A look at Soccerbase tells me that Howe lost his first 3 games at Bournemouth. If Johnson does that at City he'll have people calling for his head.

Yeah - extremely different circumstances, granted. I guess it was the comparison of personality of the managers and not the clubs I was highlighting. I think whoever comes in will be 'doomed' though, unless its Moyes / Pearson. Mind you, there will be sections who don't like them either!

6 hours ago, WayOutWest said:

LJ's appointment is a pretty accurate barometer of where our club actually sits.  I for one think its not all bad.

He is not the "cheap option", as I am sure there will be compensation paid to Barnsley.  Have a look around at clubs, similar in stature to ours that have done well on the back of a relatively untried and tested young managers.

Only time will tell whether this works out.  But we are Bristol City, and we have landed possibly  one of the best up and coming managers in the Country. We actually should be pleased rather than underwhelmed. There is a blue print for success that has worked at Swansea, AFC Bournemouth, Burnley to mention a few, that is geared around a younger generational manager.

We now have ours. 

Its time to put the enduring speculation to one side of who or who may not becoming in.  Some have had dared to dream too big, and anyone other than Pearson, Moyes etc are going to be deflated today. Flip that around and we have a young manager, that has had two teams under his stewardship that on reflection has made better, on very small budgets.

Here, at least he will be backed.  Financially by the board and hopefully spiritually by us fans.

Its now time to embrace the new dawn. It can only go three ways, 1) He is the messiah we have all been waiting for. 2) We stagnate and don't move forward, possibly sacked in two years.  3) complete disaster sacked by the end of next season..             

wouldn't that apply to any manager? I think the detractors main argument is he is not experienced enough and has never managed at this level. I don't agree with that, I think it is a mistake to recruit through fear of relegation and appoint an allardyce type, you will probably escape but then you have a defence minded boring team that may not survive the next season, as we ended up with when struggling to survive 11 through to 13.  I think he really wants this job and that is important, ambition can be more valuable than experience as the original poster said. 

12 hours ago, reformed_red said:

I often read, but don't post based on the fact I don't have time to check often and engage in discussion.

HOWEVER; after today's revelation about LJ being approached, I couldn't keep my opinions under wraps any longer.

A quick into for anyone interested (or who feel a new poster must surely be a WUM); I have been a ST holder at AG on and off for over 15 years. Following a long spell away from the Gate for varied reasons and a move down to Bournemouth, I got a ST this season, and travel up each home game and sit in the new family section with one of my daughters, who makes sure I am behaving, :laugh:.

My wife asked me recently why I don't just save the time and diesel and watch Bournemouth; my reply was, "It just doesn't work like that, babe." I love this club, and used to travel both Home and Away; and I love sharing the experience with one of my little girls - it's awesome. 

Anyhow, recently I have been dreaming of Moyes, or Pearson, and even made a perfectly sane rationale arguing the fact that Jose Mourinho would be a realistic target.

Having woken up from this unrealistic stupor, it's time to accept any of the above, or any of such ilk are unlikely to arrive at AG. Also; I don't buy into the club PR - you can't spin a win / draw / loss. It's results that count, no matter what dossiers and structures the club wish to implement, or claim they are implementing, you live and die by results. Hence my non-reaction to; "you'd be surprised by who is interested....".

I genuinely think that LJ could be an extremely shrewd acquisition. A talented player (IMO), articulate, ambitious. Knows the club. Football management is changing, and with it is the pre-requisite for the requirements of the attributes of the manager (sorry head coach). LJ, like him or not, fits the new model that seems to be the description for modern managers. To be fair, this scenario is not that dissimilar to appointments like Martinez (when first at Swansea - whose model seems to be working), Rogers (when first at Watford - their model seems to be working). Both of those were prior to getting promoted, granted, but it perhaps signals a longer-term bigger picture, with real vision and a proper plan?

Talking of which, my hometown (based upon the town where I live, NOT my real hometown), Bournemouth, seem to be making the same model work. And I can't help but feel from knowing Eddie Howe, LJ seems to be a similar sort of guy?   

Long post to make a simple point I know, future posts shall be less detailed, given the nature of introduction to the forum in this one.

A good read. I look forward to reading more from you in the future. 

For every Howe there will be a Tinnion. Let's hope LJ is the former. 

AFC Bournemouth's rise isn't a rags to riches story unless you acknowledge the involvement of a Russian millionaire who liked the house he bought so much he decided to buy the local football club.

Eddie Howe has done extremely well but the backing his helped. Plus, they have spent over £40M this season (although the Premier League income will offset that).

Swansea's managerial choices and sustained growth are the model I would like to replicate.

Personally I don't think many would argue with the thrust of your remarks on LJ; nobody is really denying the guy fits the mold of the new era gaffer and for sure at this level and higher man management skills to overpaid zealots, as many would have them, is a tricky skill.

The first and most important question for me is can he keep us up? Yes i believe he can but then so too can Pembo and, could have, SC.

So i simply would have waited until the season ends when quite probably we have a lot more options.

6 hours ago, Xiled said:

AFC Bournemouth's rise isn't a rags to riches story unless you acknowledge the involvement of a Russian millionaire who liked the house he bought so much he decided to buy the local football club.

Eddie Howe has done extremely well but the backing his helped. Plus, they have spent over £40M this season (although the Premier League income will offset that).

Swansea's managerial choices and sustained growth are the model I would like to replicate.

Of course, Bournemouth have very wealthy owners and wealthy individuals around the club. But can we measure what would have been achieved without the money? That's hard - but I would mention Notts County. Bankrolled; even had Sven as their manager. Where did they get?

I think financial backing aside, LJ fills me with more optimism (should he actually get the job), than a Steve Clarke (for example). And that's based on the character and model of 'modern' and recent success stories, such as Howe. 

Of course, it may fail; our club is not Bournemouth, and LJ is not Eddie Howe. 

I just think the personality of a LJ I would take, even possibly over a Pearson-type, longer-term. 

6 hours ago, Xiled said:

Although the money did of course help, plenty of clubs (ahem) have had money thrown at them hand over fist and still not manage to achieve a fraction of what Bournemouth did.

Also, Bournemouth spent almost nothing getting to the Premier League, fair play to them for now doing everything in their power to stay there. Their accomplishments last season when you compare their squad with some of the other ambitious Championship clubs were remarkable.

EDIT - Great post reformed_red - I think once the dust settles there will actually be quite a solid base of supporters who feel that the appointment is a good one. From my own personal observations, the younger generation of supporters are certainly a lot happier about it than the older generation!

Some of our fans will only judge how good an appointment it is based on does he have a "name", how much does he earn, has he managed in the top flight and is he a shouty pointy person who wears a sheepskin jacket.

Unfortunately they have grown up on old football and have had their eyes closed to how football works over the past 20 years.

The comparison seems fair to me.

If LJ does become our next manager, let's hope he can have the same impact.

I have a lot of time and admiration for LJ - was in the camp who thought he was an excellent player for the club - just wished he had scored more goals.

My only concern is the threat to his reputation and stock as our manager if we are relegated this season.  We can talk about his past experiences at Oldham and Barnsley until the cows come home, but the simple fact is he has no managerial experience of the Championship, and the unknown elements could be too much for him.

In my ideal world we'd stay up with the interim duo, and LJ could take over in the summer.

If Lee Johnson does take the job and we survive this season, then he could indeed mirror Eddie Howe and give us managerial stability and longevity, which can only be to the benefit of the club.

Archived