IGNORED

What we need is a risk-free manager who is guaranteed to work out.

LondonBristolian

Anyone able to name one?

Nigel Pearson - great job at Leicester but volatile and fell out with board.  The resources we have are not comparable to the resources Leicester had and who knows whether he could do the same job in the Championship without money to spend?  You also have to wonder why nobody else has gone for him this season and whether he actually out of our reach or if other clubs know something we don't.

Garry Monk - promising but unproven beyond Swansea where it unravelled this season.

Warnock - Great past records but struggled toward the end in his last three jobs and not had a good managerial season since 2011/2012 and left Palace in the relegation zone and Leeds sinking fast.

Pemberton - steady pair of hands but lack of experience.  Who knows?

Moyes- not managed in the Championship for 16 years.  May not want to come and may be burned out following struggles at Man Utd and in Spain.

Anyone else?

If anyone can find a manager who wants to come here and is 100% guaranteed to work then brilliant but, if every potential appointment is a risk, shouldn't we just back whoever comes in and hope it's a risk that comes off?

10 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Anyone able to name one?

Nigel Pearson - great job at Leicester but volatile and fell out with board.  The resources we have are not comparable to the resources Leicester had and who knows whether he could do the same job in the Championship without money to spend?  You also have to wonder why nobody else has gone for him this season and whether he actually out of our reach or if other clubs know something we don't.

Garry Monk - promising but unproven beyond Swansea where it unravelled this season.

Warnock - Great past records but struggled toward the end in his last three jobs and not had a good managerial season since 2011/2012 and left Palace in the relegation zone and Leeds sinking fast.

Pemberton - steady pair of hands but lack of experience.  Who knows?

Moyes- not managed in the Championship for 16 years.  May not want to come and may be burned out following struggles at Man Utd and in Spain.

Anyone else?

If anyone can find a manager who wants to come here and is 100% guaranteed to work then brilliant but, if every potential appointment is a risk, shouldn't we just back whoever comes in and hope it's a risk that comes off?

What we actually need this time around is a manager that inspires the fans from day one and not one that looks as though he is a cheap option punt who will divide the fans from day one.

1 minute ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

What we actually need this time around is a manager that inspires the fans from day one and not one that looks as though he is a cheap option punt who will divide the fans from day one.

Frankly I couldn't give a stuff whether fans feel 'inspired'. The majority of fans were happy to stick blindly with Cotts despite form showing that we were sleepwalking towards certain relegation. 

I have never felt so deflated than when I learned Cotts was appointed. The shortly afterwards I experienced the most enjoyable football season I've ever had. 

Perhaps just once we could get fully behind the man in the hot seat regardless of our own preconceptions. Most football fans have absolutely zero idea about what goes on at a football club and whether a particular individual is the 'right' one. 

4 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I'd say what we really need is one that inspires and motivates the players. it would certainly be a huge help to have the fans onside but it's performances on the pitch I primarily care about. 

2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I don't mind if the new chap is a cheap option or not!  I only hope that he is able to take our club on to the next level after securing our place in the Championship.  Our club will have appointed a new head coach after much careful consideration - I can see no reason not to believe in them as opposed to the opinions on this forum - worthy though they may be.  If its Little Lee - lets give him and the team all the support needed to win matches and succeed!!

2 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I don't mind if the new chap is a cheap option or not!  I only hope that he is able to take our club on to the next level after securing our place in the Championship.  Our club will have appointed a new head coach after much careful consideration - I can see no reason not to believe in them as opposed to the opinions on this forum - worthy though they may be.  If its Little Lee - lets give him and the team all the support needed to win matches and succeed!!

Really?

While it's true that no manager is guaranteed to succeed in a new job, it's also true to say that some managerial appointments are more of a punt than others.

Last time we took such a gamble was bringing McInnes in. A hotly tipped young manager who had done well at a small club.

Unfortunately if anything undid Derek it was his lack of contacts in English football.  I hope this won't also apply to LJ. 

Archived