IGNORED

What type of club are we?

daored

As supporters of Bristol City Football Club, do we have to start to accept we're simply a very small club in respect of standings within the English football league?

This season we are competing against clubs with wealth far in excess of our own, flubs who have recently been in the Premiership and have payments following relegation, who we simply can't compete against.

This summer / January has seen us target players from the premier league, plus clubs such as gillingham, walsall and we simply for what reason can not attract players to play for us, be that wages or just not seen as an attractive proposition. 

We look like appointing a new manager with limited experience, and who hasn't managed at this level before, whilst reverting back to the DOF we had previously.

The club for me has no long term strategy, and seems to alter their approach to set up of the club on a regular basis. Now we have a DOF which I believe was scrapped following SC's appointment.

The club needs to decide how it wants to proceed, regardless of who the manager is and stick to that philosophy. The container changing of approach, pillars is becoming a joke. We need to set a identity of who we are and what we want to become 

1 minute ago, daored said:

Isn't that Mark Ashton's role , or have I mis-understood that ?

Chief operating officer / CEO roles will generally be different to a DOF. However, a job title can be misleading. Without reading the job spec I wouldn't want to speculate too much. Will he identify and bring in players if a head coach doesn't want them? I'd hope not as the head coach picks the team.

14 minutes ago, daored said:

As supporters of Bristol City Football Club, do we have to start to accept we're simply a very small club in respect of standings within the English football league?

Absolutely we do. Why would Steve Clarke come here with a West Brom sacking and Reading he burned bridges and wrote his own P45. 

Why would Pearson come here when he's basking in having built Leic squad - he's getting a lot of credit, rightly so.

Why would Moyes come here, he's built a super reputation at Everton and smashed it with a few silly moves: albeit no one can blame him going to man Utd  

Why would Monk come here, having been sacked from Swansea after being touted as promising could he cope with the risk of a championship relegation? That would put him many steps back  

All these managers could not afford to come here, with no transfers to make, with us in the relegation spots in the Championship. Reputation ally none could cope with a relegation and none would rebuild it by taking us up (if we dropped) or by saving us. It was a gamble none could reasonably take and neither could we expect them to take. 

In November maybe they would have. But without a chance to change the squad they are backing their own Midas touch. That makes the gamble a step too far. 

I'm gonna say it : with LJ forming a strong reputation he is taking as much a gamble on us as we are on him. Relegation would put him many steps back.  

Just now, 29AR said:

Absolutely we do. Why would Steve Clarke come here with a West Brom sacking and Reading he burned bridges and wrote his own P45. 

Why would Pearson come here when he's basking in having built Leic squad - he's getting a lot of credit, rightly so.

Why would Moyes come here, he's built a super reputation at Everton and smashed it with a few silly moves: albeit no one can blame him going to man Utd  

Why would Monk come here, having been sacked from Swansea after being touted as promising could he cope with the risk of a championship relegation? That would put him many steps back  

All these managers could not afford to come here, with no transfers to make, with us in the relegation spots in the Championship. Reputation ally none could cope with a relegation and none would rebuild it by taking us up or saving us. It was a gamble none could reasonably take and neither could we expect them to take. 

In November maybe they would have. But without a chance to change the squad they are backing their own Midas touch. That makes the gamble a step too far. 

To attract those managers , you would have to give total control, plus massive financial backing. Simply put the club appear reluctant to give either. 

The talk from the board of premiership football is pie in the sky. Unfortunately with modern day football to have ambition you have to have big money! We may have the ambition but we simply don't have the funds to back it up, or if we do, are reluctant to spend it. But as others have said its easier when it isn't your own!

1 minute ago, daored said:

To attract those managers , you would have to give total control, plus massive financial backing. Simply put the club appear reluctant to give either. 

The talk from the board of premiership football is pie in the sky. Unfortunately with modern day football to have ambition you have to have big money! We may have the ambition but we simply don't have the funds to back it up, or if we do, are reluctant to spend it. But as others have said its easier when it isn't your own!

I think irrespective of what we offered they weren't coming. Maybe they would if we stay up, maybe 3 months ago they would, mid January I think they wouldn't have responded to us. 

21 minutes ago, daored said:

This season we are competing against clubs with wealth far in excess of our own, flubs who have recently been in the Premiership and have payments following relegation, who we simply can't compete against.

This summer / January has seen us target players from the premier league, plus clubs such as gillingham, walsall and we simply for what reason can not attract players to play for us, be that wages or just not seen as an attractive proposition. 

We look like appointing a new manager with limited experience, and who hasn't managed at this level before, whilst reverting back to the DOF we had previously.

The club for me has no long term strategy, and seems to alter their approach to set up of the club on a regular basis. Now we have a DOF which I believe was scrapped following SC's appointment.

The club needs to decide how it wants to proceed, regardless of who the manager is and stick to that philosophy. The container changing of approach, pillars is becoming a joke. We need to set a identity of who we are and what we want to become 

How did you work that out then?

a brilliant one, and I wouldn't want to support any other!

the board don't always get it right, nor do the players. Nor do the fans either!  And that is something that is mirrored at every club in the world. But we are Bristol City.  The greatest football team the world has ever seen.

Lets give LJ our full backing from the outset irrespective of your view, and if he fails, then so be it, I'm sure it won't be for the lack of trying on his part. 

Managers come, managers go. Us fans will remain (well, most of us anyway having read the other threads!)

COYR

6 minutes ago, lee67 said:

How did you work that out then?

I would suggest that for me, Derby, Boro, Brighton, QPR, Burnley, Wolves, Birmingham, Hull, Wednesday, are all clubs who are able to out bid us for players and also potentially be seen as a more attractive option.

7 minutes ago, SuperDziek said:

a brilliant one, and I wouldn't want to support any other!

the board don't always get it right, nor do the players. Nor do the fans either!  And that is something that is mirrored at every club in the world. But we are Bristol City.  The greatest football team the world has ever seen.

Lets give LJ our full backing from the outset irrespective of your view, and if he fails, then so be it, I'm sure it won't be for the lack of trying on his part. 

Managers come, managers go. Us fans will remain (well, most of us anyway having read the other threads!)

COYR

My point wasn't meant to be negative it was just a question in terms of where we currently are. I completely agree, I"m proud to call myself a city fan. I'm a Bristol boy and there was only two options available red or blue, I choose red and never looked back and never will. 

If LJ is appointed, he will have my full backing , just as any other manager would / player 

36 minutes ago, daored said:

My point wasn't meant to be negative it was just a question in terms of where we currently are. I completely agree, I"m proud to call myself a city fan. I'm a Bristol boy and there was only two options available red or blue, I choose red and never looked back and never will. 

If LJ is appointed, he will have my full backing , just as any other manager would / player 

Fair point, and not having a pop at you. More a response to all the anti-LJ stuff on other threads, and the thread title seemed appropriate!

The sort of club with a board that thinks this is good PR. From the BCFC website:

City given opportunity to speak with former player.

Bristol City FC can confirm it has been granted permission by Barnsley FC to speak to its head coach Lee Johnson.

The club will be making no further comment. 

ENDS

So not a club that values good communication, obviously. 

17 minutes ago, SuperDziek said:

Fair point, and not having a pop at you. More a response to all the anti-LJ stuff on other threads, and the thread title seemed appropriate!

None taken. I just think there has to an element of realism to what we can expect players and managers wise. Will LJ be a success, who knows? But he clearly has strong ties to the club and area , that surely isn't a bad starting point?

1 hour ago, lee67 said:

So what about the other 14 teams? we have got to have more funds at our disposal than the majority of them.

It's all subjective and I accept that. Players are attracted by funds and ambition, for some reason it appears players question ours. Dack, Bradshaw, from league 1. Gayle from the premiership and Gray who played for a supposedly smaller club than ours. 

18 minutes ago, ciderrider said:

The sort of club with a board that thinks this is good PR. From the BCFC website:

City given opportunity to speak with former player.

Bristol City FC can confirm it has been granted permission by Barnsley FC to speak to its head coach Lee Johnson.

The club will be making no further comment. 

ENDS

So not a club that values good communication, obviously. 

What would you be expecting them to say then?

Bottom Line - We buy cheap, we buy often,

Steve Lansdown is one of the richest guys in the UK - but doesn't want to spend his wealth to achieve "what we all want"

It's just another business,,,,full stop, albeit a business he likes and being at the helm!

If we employ Little Lee, then it's probable we will yo - yo as we always have done between tier 2 and 3! 

We all know that being a fan of a football club is a strange phenomenon especially those who are not glory chasers like ourselves. CTID is so real and I would never change being a BCFC fan.

I've said it before on other topic strings that we are not a sleeping giant but (at the moment) we are a club too big for League 1 but too small for the Championship.  I know people compare us with other clubs but until we think big from the board down and grow financially we will yo-yo between the two divisions.  People talk about the size of the city of Bristol but the attendance is not good enough.  I know people will say you need a team to watch but before this will happen we need a bigger diehard fan base - think Leeds etc.  

I don't want us to do a Pourtsmouth and so I want to see a sustainable and successful club.  Every year we lose millions and that has to stop and with the development we are moving in the right direction. Steve L's money has made a big difference but without him covering debt what would the figure be?

I'm afraid we are going to have to be content with appointments such as LJ for the foreseeable future.

Sometimes reality bites.

Zed

1 hour ago, lee67 said:

So what about the other 14 teams? we have got to have more funds at our disposal than the majority of them.

We only have better spending power and attraction then Rotherham maybe Brentford and mk Dons and Bolton because of their financial postion

thats it

18 minutes ago, daored said:

It's all subjective and I accept that. Players are attracted by funds and ambition, for some reason it appears players question ours. Dack, Bradshaw, from league 1. Gayle from the premiership and Gray who played for a supposedly smaller club than ours. 

We can't talk to players if their club won't accept a bid we offered 2 million for dack would you of oversee more for an unproven player at this level?

1 minute ago, Olympian said:

If you accept being a small club you will become one.

Exactly this, we have all the potential to be a large club but we refuse to grow with our success... We are simply a tinpot outfit, this is the only way to describe Bristol City FC and the mentality of a large proportion of its fans!!!

Archived