IGNORED

We buy CHEAP, We buy OFTEN

Tomo

Bottom Line - We buy cheap, we buy often,

Steve Lansdown is one of the richest guys in the UK - but doesn't want to spend his wealth to achieve "what we all want"

It's just another business,,,,full stop, albeit a business he likes BEING THE MAN AT THE TOP!

If we employ Little Lee, then it's probable we will yo - yo as we always have done between tier 2 and 3! 

Nice stadium though!

1 minute ago, tomo said:

Steve Lansdown is one of the richest guys in the UK - but doesn't want to spend his wealth to achieve "what we all want"

It's just another business,,,,full stop, albeit a business he likes BEING THE MAN AT THE TOP!

If we employ Little Lee, then it's probable we will yo - yo as we always have done between tier 2 and 3! 

Nice stadium though!

Since when was 2 million go kodja and 50 million on the ground cheap?

Just now, bristolcitysweden said:

He has already wasted more than £50,000,000

Please don't be blinded ?

SL is such a successful businessman, his 50 million is hardly a gift, it will all be tied up in business loans etc etc, so if we should ever (unlikely) hit the big time, he will recoup his investments!

Problem is - he may never recoup his investment totally as he doesn't thing BIG enough in terms of his previous management appointments and the one to follow!

The Stadium will look fantastic - just remember guys, Mr SL is one of the richest guys in the UK, (for a reason) - nothing is wasted, albeit nothing is really spent, it's all about business, Not FOOTBALL! 

23 minutes ago, tomo said:

Please don't be blinded ?

SL is such a successful businessman, his 50 million is hardly a gift, it will all be tied up in business loans etc etc, so if we should ever (unlikely) hit the big time, he will recoup his investments!

Problem is - he may never recoup his investment totally as he doesn't thing BIG enough in terms of his previous management appointments and the one to follow!

The Stadium will look fantastic - just remember guys, Mr SL is one of the richest guys in the UK, (for a reason) - nothing is wasted, albeit nothing is really spent, it's all about business, Not FOOTBALL! 

He wrote it off you idiot

When you get to be a billionaire £50M is a drop in a very big ocean. 

I work with one and trust me he'd spend £10M to make £1M, for him it's about the game of making a million. 

To us mortals it looks like massive money because in relative terms it is.

In relative terms (% of wealth) this is nothing to them. 

Does it still sting when they lose money, of course but in my experience he's not bothered that much. 

1 hour ago, tomo said:

Nice stadium though!

Van Gaal wasn't exactly a cheap option for Man Yoo, look how that has gone, over a quarter of a billion spent with transfer fees by him and they are battling West Ham for a Europa League spot. Spending big won't guarentee success and spending less doesn't guarentee failure.

1 hour ago, tomo said:

Nice stadium though!

What do you want? No benefactor? Someone with no money? Come on, don't be shy tomo.

To be fair. If hes wasted money anywhere its on the rugby. For what hes spent for top coaches and players, not to get out of a more tin pot rugby-equivalent of League 2 is disastrous. 

I fear we are a mini arsenal. Spend money on the ground then spend many years 'paying it off' as such whilst spending as little as possible on the team. However, i'd be perfectly happy with championship mid table for a few years so not got too much issue with that. 

5 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

I love how one minute everyone wants us to be a sustainable club the next everyone wants our owner to chuck millions and millions at it.

Depends what you want for the club i guess.  I'd be happy with the sustainable route and steering away from premiership football as I loathe iit

8 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

I love how one minute everyone wants us to be a sustainable club the next everyone wants our owner to chuck millions and millions at it.

After last summer's pinball transfer policy carry-on, is it any wonder some of our less thoughtful (shall we say) supporters are not 100% clear on this?

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

He wrote it off you idiot

I believe he converted the debt into equity (shares) - there is a difference and it's not written off as such. 

If he sold the club (however unlikely) he'd look to recover this in the sale of shares in the company in which he has a majority holding. More an accounting/ balance sheet exercise. It is still welcome though.

1 hour ago, tomo said:

Nice stadium though!

As you seem to know

Please tell me the following

(1) How much must we pay Barnsley to pay off LJ?

(2) What are we paying LG per year?

(3) How much did the other names (Pearson,Moyes and Jose)ect want per year?

If you know all the FACTS let us know then we can all say it the cheap way out

If you dont know the FACTS shut the duck up

If everybody is so keen to blow multi millions on players, feel free to contribute your millions. If SL chooses to be a bit more restrained that's his choice, he's given us a decent ground, now he seems to have the sense to want to make the club sustainable, especially after spending about £50M to go from League One to League One recently.

I think if appointed we all need to get on board and support him………..elsewhere someone has made comparisons to Eddie Howe, who despite a few initial hiccups has turned out to be one of the finest young managers in the country, and u can be sure there were some Bournemouth fans accusing the board of taking the cheap option, AND with a manager with no experience.  I'd rather we take a shot with a bright young coach………..than go for some of the options suggested on here, including some dinosaurs that included Neil Warlock?!  There is a new wave of young manager/coaches making an impression at various clubs who have taken a chance, instead of using the conveyor belt of the same old, same old faces, Plus He's got the Johnson genes, and although his Dad failed at the final hurdle……maybe, just maybe the son will get us there.

53 minutes ago, Warwickshire Red said:

I believe he converted the debt into equity (shares) - there is a difference and it's not written off as such. 

If he sold the club (however unlikely) he'd look to recover this in the sale of shares in the company in which he has a majority holding. More an accounting/ balance sheet exercise. It is still welcome though.

You can only sell for what someone will pay.

Capital gains loss, not relevant as he's not UK resident.  

It was a write off. Converting into equity makes sense for various reasons. 

21 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I think if appointed we all need to get on board and support him………..elsewhere someone has made comparisons to Eddie Howe, who despite a few initial hiccups has turned out to be one of the finest young managers in the country, and u can be sure there were some Bournemouth fans accusing the board of taking the cheap option, AND with a manager with no experience.  I'd rather we take a shot with a bright young coach………..than go for some of the options suggested on here, including some dinosaurs that included Neil Warlock?!  There is a new wave of young manager/coaches making an impression at various clubs who have taken a chance, instead of using the conveyor belt of the same old, same old faces, Plus He's got the Johnson genes, and although his Dad failed at the final hurdle……maybe, just maybe the son will get us there.

Thanks Maxjaks I needed that lift. For a while I was getting depressed about this appointment. Maybe it will work out as you say.

The paper business men on here are amusing.

SL is finding out the hard way that Football is nothing like the business he knows. Whereas his fellow billionaires hire and fire, his approach is more measured, especially with managers. I personally like the more measured approach because longterm, it's the way to go.

As to the people who 'know' people, yeah I believe you, as much as I believe in Farther Christmas, the Easter bunny.

1 hour ago, maxjak said:

Eddie Howe has spent around £40M at Bournemouth including buying back Lewis Grabban for £8M after selling him for around £3M less than 2 years before.

He's done a great job at Bournemouth but in very different circumstances to our current situation.

12 hours ago, Xiled said:

Eddie Howe has spent around £40M at Bournemouth including buying back Lewis Grabban for £8M after selling him for around £3M less than 2 years before.

He's done a great job at Bournemouth but in very different circumstances to our current situation.

Yes they started to spend big (obviously) after they reached the Prem…………but their promotion squad was an array of bargain buys such as PUGH - 100K,  ARTER - FREE,  COOK -  150K  ELPHICK - 220K  DANIELS - 200K  -  ETC .   Yes they spent 3M On WILSON (We tried to spend 9M!)...but the majority of the team were purchased from the lower leagues and even non-league.  I think the comparison stands, as it was Howes ability as a coach that formed a team and a system that were greater than the sum of their parts.

21 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Yes they started to spend big (obviously) after they reached the Prem…………but their promotion squad was an array of bargain buys such as PUGH - 100K,  ARTER - FREE,  COOK -  150K  ELPHICK - 220K  DANIELS - 200K  -  ETC .   Yes they spent 3M On WILSON (We tried to spend 9M!)...but the majority of the team were purchased from the lower leagues and even non-league.  I think the comparison stands, as it was Howes ability as a coach that formed a team and a system that were greater than the sum of their parts.

It's Howe's second spell in charge at Bournemouth but that doesn't take away from his achievements.  I thought Bournemouth had spent more in their last season in the Championship but they (understandably) saved most of their spending for this season.  They certainly deserve their place in the Prem and I would like to see them stay there and consolidate.

I still think Swansea have better long-term prospects from an equally low recent history.  But to be honest, both teams have done more with less compared to us in recent years.

Why do people think throwing money at it will get success we should be proud of our club,great owner  (where would we be without him) great stadium and fans. Championship football what else do we want,and now hopefully a young and hungry manager, may be those experienced  managers actually didn't want to come. Will be there next week supporting the team and lj.....

Archived