IGNORED

Age and Stance

Nomad

LJ - Appoint or NOT ?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Do you think that your age categorises your stance on bcfc related subjects? The topic I created earlier "Get a Grip" (which I stand by) was informative - bear with me.....

This forum seems to have a lot (it may be disproportionate but I do not read any other teams forums) negative posts. Positive posts seem to be disproportionally "liked". I myself have created or contributed to so called 'negative' threads with little support (mainly anti-SC as I could not see how things would change under his management). 

Ok, enough of the background. I do believe that the age of the poster dictates which camp (generally - I do not not expect a 100% conversion rate) they belong too. I appreciate that all threads are different and fans views will swap and change. 

Anyway lets start this off with LJ - lets the board appoint and then decide or no, don't do it.....

I'm not sure you really followed up on the mention of age after the first line, but think there could be something in it. I'm a fairly negative person, but when it comes to BCFC I try to be a realist, and even seem to err on the side of positivity. Perhaps this is because at only 20 I haven't seen the club make as many mistakes as older posters have.

Funnily enough I just mentioned in another thread that from the personal reactions I've gathered amongst friends/family/colleagues, it seems to be that the prospect of LJ managing the club has gone down significantly better with the younger generation than the older generation.

For what it's worth I'm 30 this year and I'm supportive of the appointment, if made.

Most people of my generation that I know feel the same way, with the majority of 40/50+ people I know being quite negative about it.

A few things stick out for me as potential reasons why

• People of my generation have no notion of City outside of the top flight. We accept that the club isn't the massive draw that a lot of fans seem to think it is, and for that reason the likes of Moyes & Co. were never anything but deluded nonsense. We don't buy into the 'we're Bristol City, we can get anyone we want' mentality that a lot of people do. Not about accepting not being good, but accepting that it is at this point (and mostly, always has been) potential, completely unsupported by actual achievement.

• The younger set of fans are more likely to be abreast of events away from AG. Stereotyping massively here, so apologies, but I tend to find that fans of my kind of age and younger know a lot more about wider football than for example those of my Dad's generation. Perhaps down to familiarity with technology, and the fact that kids don't ever go outside anymore? My 9 year old nephew knows more about football than me, he knows what transfers have just gone through in the Ukrainian League and what ground Las Palmas play at. Probably all from playing FIFA. 

I think for that reason a lot of the younger fans have probably followed LJ's career closer than many older fans. 

• I guess the younger fans are more likely to buy into the 'new breed' managerial stuff. The Klopps, Guardiola's, Lee Johnson's of this world (well come on, one day the history books will just group them together as the most successful managers ever). What I mean by that is the articulate, intelligent manager with the emphasis on coaching, rather than the old school type of manager giving it the old hair dryer every time things go tits up.

On a personal note, I spent a good bit of time chatting with LJ at the club Open Day in the summer following the disappointment of the 07/08 playoff final. Even then as a 22 year old, I couldn't help but be impressed by how articulate and sensible he was, I was taken aback by it as it just wasn't what I expected from a football player, who tends to get tarred with the 'brain dead, can't string two words together' brush.

I had to go to Wikipedia to check that he was really still only 34. But then I realised that wiki isn't exactly the best place to look for facts.

I mean, it has him down as being 5'6" for Christ's sake.

That aside, I'm a big fan of little Lee. I appreciated what he brought as a footballer, and I am cautiously optimistic about what he will bring as a manager.

As a supporter for 43 years, I have seen my team nearly not exist anymore (82) and that after our most successful spell since not long after the league began. Success is not everything! Look at portsmouth, Bolton, Leeds, both sheffields Let's face it that successful team played defensive unattractive football as compared to other teams I have seen over the years. 

Being a city supporter for me is about enjoying moments. Expectations of premiership,  realistic or not,  detract from the game to game pleasure of supporting the team and I like the team we have and the way we play at the moment despite league position.  

Interesting observation and I suspect from my 50+ years experience may well be the case. Sat in the Dolman Stamd I can't believe some of the negative cr*p spouted by many around me even in the glorious year of last season. Strangely though I must be one who bucks the trend as I find with my length of years I have become more pragmatic in my outlook and perhaps more rose coloured . At the end of the day as others have said its my team and always will be and by Christ I will always back them regardless.

Having followed city for over 45 years I am now on my 22nd manager ( since Alan Dicks)

I have seen them come and seen them go , One thing is constant no matter how exited we fans are by the hype or expectation of a new manager, No matter what their experience it either works or it doesn't No amount of logic behind it

Gary Johnson had no experience at a high level but gave us the best years ever IMO

SOD had good experience but was awful

Remember 99% of managers available have been sacked by someone

Lets just support the club and enjoy 

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Funnily enough I just mentioned in another thread that from the personal reactions I've gathered amongst friends/family/colleagues, it seems to be that the prospect of LJ managing the club has gone down significantly better with the younger generation than the older generation.

For what it's worth I'm 30 this year and I'm supportive of the appointment, if made.

Most people of my generation that I know feel the same way, with the majority of 40/50+ people I know being quite negative about it.

A few things stick out for me as potential reasons why

• People of my generation have no notion of City outside of the top flight. We accept that the club isn't the massive draw that a lot of fans seem to think it is, and for that reason the likes of Moyes & Co. were never anything but deluded nonsense. We don't buy into the 'we're Bristol City, we can get anyone we want' mentality that a lot of people do. Not about accepting not being good, but accepting that it is at this point (and mostly, always has been) potential, completely unsupported by actual achievement.

• The younger set of fans are more likely to be abreast of events away from AG. Stereotyping massively here, so apologies, but I tend to find that fans of my kind of age and younger know a lot more about wider football than for example those of my Dad's generation. Perhaps down to familiarity with technology, and the fact that kids don't ever go outside anymore? My 9 year old nephew knows more about football than me, he knows what transfers have just gone through in the Ukrainian League and what ground Las Palmas play at. Probably all from playing FIFA. 

I think for that reason a lot of the younger fans have probably followed LJ's career closer than many older fans. 

• I guess the younger fans are more likely to buy into the 'new breed' managerial stuff. The Klopps, Guardiola's, Lee Johnson's of this world (well come on, one day the history books will just group them together as the most successful managers ever). What I mean by that is the articulate, intelligent manager with the emphasis on coaching, rather than the old school type of manager giving it the old hair dryer every time things go tits up.

On a personal note, I spent a good bit of time chatting with LJ at the club Open Day in the summer following the disappointment of the 07/08 playoff final. Even then as a 22 year old, I couldn't help but be impressed by how articulate and sensible he was, I was taken aback by it as it just wasn't what I expected from a football player, who tends to get tarred with the 'brain dead, can't string two words together' brush.

I also spent sometime chatting to Lee at this event, like you I was impressed by just how articulate and considered his speech was. It was clear to me then that this guy had a long term future in the game. Football whilst being a sport also has to be run very much like a business these days. Managers that understand this and can communicate effectively with the owner/chairman stand a far better chance.

Followed City since 1981, and most of it has been undiluted bilge. My emotions have wavered between utter despair "I've had it with this shit" to "yes, we're gonna hump this league". Overall my thoughts tend towards the jaundiced, but I have seen a lot of turd, and laid out a lot of spondulicks. I'm 50, missed out on Div1 days, so I think age and length of "service" are definitely contributory factors to a negative outlook!

A bit like naive youths joining CND, when they were 18 (me). Now I'm more of a General Marvin D Bombthebastards.

Archived