IGNORED

This move does not lack ambition

Red Rum

6 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

Those comments made by the club can be taken in many different ways. They have been warped and twisted by social media. The result is that many fans have expectations way beyond what is realistic.

Possibly. But when they are the very words coming out of the owner's mouth what other way can they be taken.

Or is he as guilty of spin as his new COO?

4 hours ago, Red Rum said:

I think you've hit the nail on the head in terms of fans' perception of both SC and MA. It's always going to split opinion. For some people those charectoristics that you've correctly called out in SC will be seen as slightly 'Tinpot'. Equally I can see that some people are naturally cautious of anyone in a suit. Especially with the COO job title!

Suit doesn't make such a difference...one of the worst managers I came across was at a place that was t shirt and jeans casual...for the industry it was in it was a tsd surprising but he was a total****.

Mind you in a normal place he would have been one of the 'suits'.

If Lee Johnson keeps us in the Championship, signs some good players and we progress next season then he will have been a brilliant appointment.

If we get relegated and spiral back down through League 1 then it will have been a disasterous choice.

Okay, I'm being an ar$e but basically, at this time, none of us have a clue about his potential. But we can all give him a chance.

As daft as it sounds, if he was a foot taller and didn't have to live with his dad's legacy I think we would be welcoming the new messiah. Let's keep an open mind.

Some of the comments on here beggar belief IMO, people who believe they know more than they actually do know and people speaking as if they personally know everybody who has been mentioned and people who believe that they actually are professional football coaches, who are somehow on a higher a plain than the rest of us mere mortals and even more than the people that do the job for a living.

Some of the personal remarks are not only shameful but probably actionable.

I don't know if LJ is the right man for the job, I sincerely hope that he is because I am a BCFC fan and unlike some of the surly comments from some people on this thread I want any and every BCFC manager to succeed, I believe that after an early appointment was not made Pemberton and Elliott could have been kept until the end of the season and had we still been in the championship SL could then have laid bare his lofty ambitions for the club, you know the official statement when SC was sacked and before the 'surprising' applicant list speech from Ashton and then gotten a more representative list of 'surprising' applicants rather than just unemployed failed managers, which is actually unsurprising.

I just have the same underwhelming feeling that I had after the past 5 BCFC manager appointments and only one managed to actually change my mind, I accept that he had run his course but I actually expected something a little more ambitious this time around.

The problems at BCFC run far deeper than just changing the manager and in the spirit of starting an urban myth to sit along side other BCFC urban myths started on this forum here's mine, we all know how gutted SL was when he had to sack GJ they were very close and SL appeared to just give up for a while especially when Coppell failed and he appointed Millen, people are calling for a new DOF so I propose GJ as the new DOF and uncle Pete as head scout.

The board have made a rod for their own back by talking up expectations. When Ashton says we've had some great people enquirer about the job, I was expecting someone with a better track record than LJ.

Wasn't that long ago that Lansdown said he was targeting promotion to the Premiership next season as well.

4 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Red Rum is right about social media causing problems. As well as raising expectations and spreading crazy rumours, it can be a platform for unjustified criticism. On the other hand it provides the opportunity for fans to share opinions, that wouldn't have been possible 20 years ago. On balance, I'd rather have the current state. Apart from when the insults flow back and forth I find the forum hilarious. Crazy rumours, "ITK" posts that aren't ITK and reminisces about players and matches forgotten. The forum is only a problem when it's taken seriously 

Exactly Pongo, I use it as a laxative to start my bowel motions off as at my age, Dulcolax dont work now and I'm on a pension :violin: and cant afford lots of cider to get them working. Keep posting Boys (and Girls). BBBB urnham on Sea Sewage Works is proud of you , keeping our drains free :source:

Just now, sirscrumpton said:

The board have made a rod for their own back by talking up expectations. When Ashton says we've had some great people enquirer about the job, I was expecting someone with a better track record than LJ.

Wasn't that long ago that Lansdown said he was targeting promotion to the Premiership next season as well.

Did we not have talk of being here for the long haul when SC took over ? I suppose that meant half a season after you get us promoted as champions in SC`s case.

As for LJ does not the apple fall far from the tree? he`s on a hiding to nothing really with no transfer window and just a few months to halt the slide, because make no mistake we are on the slide.

1 hour ago, Red Rum said:

Those comments made by the club can be taken in many different ways. They have been warped and twisted by social media. The result is that many fans have expectations way beyond what is realistic.

Interested to know how direct comments can be taken in different ways. Premiership ambition was quote made in response to SC sacking. We are looking at someone less qualified than SC. Maybe I'm missing something. So at time of sacking SC you would feel that Lee was premiership ambition. 

3 minutes ago, Dibdenred said:

Interested to know how direct comments can be taken in different ways. Premiership ambition was quote made in response to SC sacking. We are looking at someone less qualified than SC. Maybe I'm missing something. So at time of sacking SC you would feel that Lee was premiership ambition. 

Because some people seem to think that the comments refer to getting into the Premiership next season. Yes SC is technically more experienced than LJ, however SC's career has basically plateaued - it is hard to see that he will ever be a Premiership manager. We are getting LJ at exactly the right time in his career - he is on an upwards trajectory. As I said in my original post, yes it is a gamble. However, I firmly believe that we are more likely to make progress with our new set up (MA and LJ) than we would have done under SC.

41 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Some of the comments on here beggar belief IMO, people who believe they know more than they actually do know and people speaking as if they personally know everybody who has been mentioned and people who believe that they actually are professional football coaches, who are somehow on a higher a plain than the rest of us mere mortals and even more than the people that do the job for a living.

Some of the personal remarks are not only shameful but probably actionable.

I don't know if LJ is the right man for the job, I sincerely hope that he is because I am a BCFC fan and unlike some of the surly comments from some people on this thread I want any and every BCFC manager to succeed, I believe that after an early appointment was not made Pemberton and Elliott could have been kept until the end of the season and had we still been in the championship SL could then have laid bare his lofty ambitions for the club, you know the official statement when SC was sacked and before the 'surprising' applicant list speech from Ashton and then gotten a more representative list of 'surprising' applicants rather than just unemployed failed managers, which is actually unsurprising.

I just have the same underwhelming feeling that I had after the past 5 BCFC manager appointments and only one managed to actually change my mind, I accept that he had run his course but I actually expected something a little more ambitious this time around.

The problems at BCFC run far deeper than just changing the manager and in the spirit of starting an urban myth to sit along side other BCFC urban myths started on this forum here's mine, we all know how gutted SL was when he had to sack GJ they were very close and SL appeared to just give up for a while especially when Coppell failed and he appointed Millen, people are calling for a new DOF so I propose GJ as the new DOF and uncle Pete as head scout.

EMB, I have it on very good authority that OTIB is now a top recruiting ground to join The Flat Earth Society :whistle:

Very funny that, actually made me laugh. SC career plateaued and getting LJ at the right time in his career. Sorry, maybe I have missed something didn't SC win the league last year and when not backed struggled to get results with the smallest squad we have ever had.  LJ being at better time in his career is laughable. Cheap option and MA has obviously done a fantastic job if people believe him. Still MA wasn't the first choice for his position so I suppose it all fits together nicely.

10 minutes ago, Dibdenred said:

Very funny that, actually made me laugh. SC career plateaued and getting LJ at the right time in his career. Sorry, maybe I have missed something didn't SC win the league last year and when not backed struggled to get results with the smallest squad we have ever had.  LJ being at better time in his career is laughable. Cheap option and MA has obviously done a fantastic job if people believe him. Still MA wasn't the first choice for his position so I suppose it all fits together nicely.

That's a very negative/conspiracy theory type attitude. Do you really think SL, the Board and MA are out there to rip the club off and cut corners wherever possible?

I said LJ is on an upwards trajectory, not that he is already at a better time in his career than SC. I take your point about SC's success last season but go you really think he will move on to bigger and better things now? No one knows but my view is he won't. Would be delighted to be proven wrong though.

I cant get my head around why we are even talking to LJ top of the 1st div are his team?, (like SC had us when we were 1st div);

Should have gone for the likes of Pearson who dragged Leics City out of the mire, would have cost yes but a PROVEN manager at this level; that would have been ambitious.

Why cant fans see that we are going around and around? a decent stadium requires a decent proven manager and players to fill it, otherwise we will not go anywhere.

13 minutes ago, Red Rum said:

That's a very negative/conspiracy theory type attitude. Do you really think SL, the Board and MA are out there to rip the club off and cut corners wherever possible?

I said LJ is on an upwards trajectory, not that he is already at a better time in his career than SC. I take your point about SC's success last season but go you really think he will move on to bigger and better things now? No one knows but my view is he won't. Would be delighted to be proven wrong though.

Gas`s manager is on a upwards trajectory, maybe he`s 2nd in the queue

5 hours ago, Red Rum said:

No those comments we made in a live radio interview by Steve Lansdown on Radio Bristol

Archived