IGNORED

The Official Charlton Athletic v Bristol City Match Day Thread

Good morning one and all from a soggy, overcast, typhoon ready Manila.

On the 28th of November 1931 Bristol City lost to Charlton Athletic in a Division 2 fixture at Ashton Gate by two goals to one. Not until October 1965, 34 years later, did the club beat the Addicks again with a four to one victory at The Valley. The thirteen unlucky matches in the intervening years were all defeats. Quite possibly one of the longest running sequences in Football League history.

One month earlier Stanley Baldwin had won a landslide election for the Conservatives in what has, to this day, been the last absolute majority to win power with 55% of the popular vote. Bizarrely Ramsey Macdonald remained Prime Minister in a National 'Unity' Government because King George V asked him to form such a coalition that would best be served to steward the country out of the Great Depression. An austere time for one and all.

The next time we won in October 1965 Harold Wilson was the Prime Minister and was only the 2nd Labour leader to hold office in a 'govern alone' Labour government since Clement Attlee in 1945. 

Four years later though City recorded their biggest ever league victory over the Addicks in a six nil thumping at Ashton Gate. And I have spent the last hour trying to find a video highlight of that match and who scored but alas I have come up short. So wherever the family of Idwal Robling is hiding, the probable BBC commentator for HTV West Big Match that day, please make yourselves known so we can have a look at those 6 goals going in.

But you could take a look at The Valley in 1969..

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/charlton-football-ground

We can always hope there will be a complete reversal to this sort of scoreline today...

Which of course was some sort of error or stunt!

And for those who would like a bit of a read of the opposite fixture on Boxing Day here it is..

All in all City have a rather putrid record against Charlton Athletic winning roughly half of the matches that they have. I know this thread is more than overshadowed by the impending arrival of a new manager so i will start ending my opening of this thread on a positive note and simply say whomever this club appoints I for one will be getting right behind him and I am sure the vast majority of us will do the same. I would like to think it will be a most rewarding feeling if the club explains itself these past few weeks into the bargain. :)

However, sanguinely, I am rummaging around for something better than a draw today but cannot find it which, I know, is really not going to help us stop the slide closer to the trap door; looking at the tally of 41 points we garnered in our last relegation battle we need to start picking them up rapidly whoever is in the hot seat. If its a Donald Duck character or a Messiah I will happily take route one to keep us in this division. Get yourself into that box Flinty.

Lee Tomlin might just score today but it might not be enough.

What a supreme effort for those going to South London today. Enjoy your day out and return home safe, sound and happy. :)

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 8

I live 20 minutes from the ground, have been waiting for this fixture all season.

Charlton are a very poor team so I'm hoping for a comfortable two goal lead by half time and then finish them off good and proper in the second half. Stocked up on cider to celebrate if we do win today!

COYR

• Like 2
1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

Good morning one and all from a soggy, overcast, typhoon ready Manila.

On the 28th of November 1931 Bristol City lost to Charlton Athletic in a Division 2 fixture at Ashton Gate by two goals to one. Not until October 1965, 34 years later, did the club beat the Addicks again with a four to one victory at The Valley. The thirteen unlucky matches in the intervening years were all defeats. Quite possibly one of the longest running sequences in Football League history.

One month earlier Stanley Baldwin had won a landslide election for the Conservatives in what has, to this day, been the last absolute majority to win power with 55% of the popular vote. Bizarrely Ramsey Macdonald remained Prime Minister in a National 'Unity' Government because King George V asked him to form such a coalition that would best be served to steward the country out of the Great Depression. An austere time for one and all.

The next time we won in October 1965 Harold Wilson was the Prime Minister and was only the 2nd Labour leader to hold office in a 'govern alone' Labour government since Clement Attlee in 1945. 

Four years later though City recorded their biggest ever league victory over the Addicks in a six nil thumping at Ashton Gate. And I have spent the last hour trying to find a video highlight of that match and who scored but alas I have come up short. So wherever the family of Idwal Robling is hiding, the probable BBC commentator for HTV West Big Match that day, please make yourselves known so we can have a look at those 6 goals going in.

But you could take a look at The Valley in 1969..

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/charlton-football-ground

We can always hope there will be a complete reversal to this sort of scoreline today...

Which of course was some sort of error or stunt!

And for those who would like a bit of a read of the opposite fixture on Boxing Day here it is..

All in all City have a rather putrid record against Charlton Athletic winning roughly half of the matches that they have. I know this thread is more than overshadowed by the impending arrival of a new manager so i will start ending my opening of this thread on a positive note and simply say whomever this club appoints I for one will be getting right behind him and I am sure the vast majority of us will do the same. I would like to think it will be a most rewarding feeling if the club explains itself these past few weeks into the bargain. :)

However, sanguinely, I am rummaging around for something better than a draw today but cannot find it which, I know, is really not going to help us stop the slide closer to the trap door; looking at the tally of 41 points we garnered in our last relegation battle we need to start picking them up rapidly whoever is in the hot seat. If its a Donald Duck character or a Messiah I will happily take route one to keep us in this division. Get yourself into that box Flinty.

Lee Tomlin might just score today but it might not be enough.

What a supreme effort for those going to South London today. Enjoy your day out and return home safe, sound and happy. :)

Condensed Version

Charlton

southern suburb full of skum

Having been truly awful, Sod's law they have found their scoring boots, 2-2 and 4-1 last two games. Charlton are the team at the bottom I have been most worried about, as they started the season with a long list of injuries, who are slowly coming back. In isolation, a draw is not to bad, but given our position, we really need some wins from somewhere. In the league, only scored in one of our last nine away games! Got to put that right. If we lose, think I will keep away from OTIB for a bit.

Really should be going for the double against them today, but hopefully we can nick it.

Edited by cityexile

Battery is flat after driver left the lights on. Jump leads fell apart. Eastville coach. All other coaches have left us. One is coming back and taking us. Hour there, hour back and then another hour to take us there. Looking at arriving at 4pm at best. Another coach coming from Bristol to take us home after