IGNORED

Moyes on Danny Baker's show

Zed@BCFC

Has anyone listened to Moyes' interview on Radio 5 this morning?  I think this sums up the unrealistic talk that has been going around the forum since we have been looking for a new head coach.  I suppose it is two sided, firstly the club let us wallow in our dreams and secondly the fans want to believe City are big.

Not once did Moyes talk himself down, he talked premier/ Spanish football, these managers only want to be involved at the top otherwise they prefer to stay out of a job.  We will only recruit an experienced premier quality manager on the way down otherwise we need to go with managers with a growing reputation, and that is why we go for people such as LJ.

As a fan I enjoy the talk re big names but I know it is not real, sometimes I think the board could be a bit more honest and express their expectations but they are in a difficult situation.  Listening to the radio just bought it home -we need to be realistic.

We can dream about being a bigger club but that is all it is a dream.  Let's live for the now and get behind the new coach, team and club and enjoy the journey to becoming a bigger club in the future and then we will be able to listen to managers such as Moyes talking about and wanting to come to City.

funny that - just listening to Pearson on BT sport. He looks happy and healthy and doesn't look like he has a care in the world - spent the winter watching sport in a warm climate and isn't interested into stepping into another job unless its the right one for him.

These people have already earned f off money as copout once said and have nothing to prove at our level - you can't just give them more money it doesn't allow them to do anything that they can't already do so it's not worth anything to them. It's like trying to offer SL a job in a bakery he might do it as a hobby but as soon as you tell him he is doing it wrong he will tell you to f off and walk out the door.

We can only get people that want to prove something at this level (remember it's not like LJ needs the money) and no amount of money is going to change that. I bet LJ would love to manage at a higher level than his dad did so has his motivation right there.

17 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I bet LJ would love to manage at a higher level than his dad did so has his motivation right there.

There I think is one reason for this being a good appointment. The argument that he is a good up and coming manager who seems well thought of and speaks well has been done to death.

Ignoring last season's huge success, the most successful we have been, certainly in my lifetime is when we were within touching distance of the Prem. Who was in charge then? If/when LJ takes the job, the comparisons with his old man will start straight away. He will rest on his laurels to be as successful as his dad, and definitely won't want to be deemed a failure in comparison either. He will want to surpass GJ and actually do what his dad couldn't quite do - reach and manage in England's elite.

Of course it might not work out, but you can bet your life that because of that last sentence in my previous paragraph Lee Johnson will be doing his utmost to make sure that he beats his dad. 

9 minutes ago, Taz said:

There I think is one reason for this being a good appointment. The argument that he is a good up and coming manager who seems well thought of and speaks well has been done to death.

Ignoring last season's huge success, the most successful we have been, certainly in my lifetime is when we were within touching distance of the Prem. Who was in charge then? If/when LJ takes the job, the comparisons with his old man will start straight away. He will rest on his laurels to be as successful as his dad, and definitely won't want to be deemed a failure in comparison either. He will want to surpass GJ and actually do what his dad couldn't quite do - reach and manage in England's elite.

Of course it might not work out, but you can bet your life that because of that last sentence in my previous paragraph Lee Johnson will be doing his utmost to make sure that he beats his dad. 

Is now really the time for " good up and coming manager" ? Staying in this league is utterly vital, we can't assume if we go down that we will automatically get back up regardless of who the manager is.

Now is the time for experience as Mr Ashton himself stated!! But what we appear to be getting is a novice with ZERO management experience in this division - those are the facts. If you were to look at this from a neutrals view you would certainly question the ambition and decision making of the club. I would go as far as to say the other teams at risk of going down will be very happy with this potential appointment.

Had we failed to go up last year and were not looking good for promotion this season then maybe then take the risk on LJ, but now is not the time for risks. I hope it works out, but I simply can't see it, what I can see is us this time next year is us mid-table in League 1 and looking for a new " head coach".

Totally agree with the points regarding Moyes and Pearson, money would not be any incentive for them to come to AG and in our current predicament it would be a risk that both of them, especially Moyes, don't need. 

Just now, ScottishRed said:

Is now really the time for " good up and coming manager" ? Staying in this league is utterly vital, we can't assume if we go down that we will automatically get back up regardless of who the manager is.

Now is the time for experience as Mr Ashton himself stated!! But what we appear to be getting is a novice with ZERO management experience in this division - those are the facts. If you were to look at this from a neutrals view you would certainly question the ambition and decision making of the club. I would go as far as to say the other teams at risk of going down will be very happy with this potential appointment.

Had we failed to go up last year and were not looking good for promotion this season then maybe then take the risk on LJ, but now is not the time for risks. I hope it works out, but I simply can't see it, what I can see is us this time next year is us mid-table in League 1 and looking for a new " head coach".

Totally agree with the points regarding Moyes and Pearson, money would not be any incentive for them to come to AG and in our current predicament it would be a risk that both of them, especially Moyes, don't need. 

No I completely agree with you, ideally we need someone with more experience, but how likely is that - whether that is because we are unattractive as a club, or because the board just won't pay the premium? 

Is there ever a time to be in a position to take a gamble on a manager though? I'm completely on the fence when it comes to whether LJ would be a good thing or not. The thing is as soon as we lose a couple or the performance isn't quite up to standard, the usual suspects will jump on his back. In fact they'll probably be waiting and rubbing their hands when it does happen!!!

I'm just trying to think of the positive aspects of the appointment. He may turn around and think sod it I'll take a chance and stay at Barnsley. I wouldn't blame him either to be honest, especially with the reaction of some on here yesterday!!

Just now, Taz said:

No I completely agree with you, ideally we need someone with more experience, but how likely is that - whether that is because we are unattractive as a club, or because the board just won't pay the premium? 

Is there ever a time to be in a position to take a gamble on a manager though? I'm completely on the fence when it comes to whether LJ would be a good thing or not. The thing is as soon as we lose a couple or the performance isn't quite up to standard, the usual suspects will jump on his back. In fact they'll probably be waiting and rubbing their hands when it does happen!!!

I'm just trying to think of the positive aspects of the appointment. He may turn around and think sod it I'll take a chance and stay at Barnsley. I wouldn't blame him either to be honest, especially with the reaction of some on here yesterday!!

We do have a good team/squad as well. Performances since Cotts left has illustrated that and if we get a striker on loan we should improve even more. It's not like LJ is coming in to deal with a squad like SoD inherited. It is more tinkering with what we have, than a total re-build. 

1 hour ago, Zed@BCFC said:

Has anyone listened to Moyes' interview on Radio 5 this morning?  I think this sums up the unrealistic talk that has been going around the forum since we have been looking for a new head coach.  I suppose it is two sided, firstly the club let us wallow in our dreams and secondly the fans want to believe City are big.

Not once did Moyes talk himself down, he talked premier/ Spanish football, these managers only want to be involved at the top otherwise they prefer to stay out of a job.  We will only recruit an experienced premier quality manager on the way down otherwise we need to go with managers with a growing reputation, and that is why we go for people such as LJ.

As a fan I enjoy the talk re big names but I know it is not real, sometimes I think the board could be a bit more honest and express their expectations but they are in a difficult situation.  Listening to the radio just bought it home -we need to be realistic.

We can dream about being a bigger club but that is all it is a dream.  Let's live for the now and get behind the new coach, team and club and enjoy the journey to becoming a bigger club in the future and then we will be able to listen to managers such as Moyes talking about and wanting to come to City.

Just like the club, managers talk themselves up. Its not always entirely based on fact. 

Baker's questions led him in that direction too. Even asked him about managing internationally. 

In summary - I'd manage in Spain, in England and internationally. I'm hungry and love football. Nothing new or surprising. 

I don't get the 0 experience thing. Everyone is inexperienced at one point. It'll either work out or it won't. Only thing different is that you can point to inexperience if he fails. What if Warnock, Pearson or Moyes failed here? What excuse then? Everyone reacts differently. LJ could have a statue outside AG one day. We don't know so why be so negative? There have been inexperienced managers who have failed and ones that have succeeded. Get behind whoever. Our bed has been made in terms of this season. No one we appoint is guaranteed to keep us up and that would include even Mourinho. Pep Guardiola went from youth coach to Barca manager to Bayern manager to Man City. LJ has done well at small clubs with no budget. It's not like we will be appointing some 30 year old from conference south division 

Archived