IGNORED

Korey Smith...

EmersonsRed

Easily our best player so far this season (for me) and the only player I believe we have that could step into the Premier League tomorrow and not look out of place. Worth noting he absolutely blossomed under Lee Johnson at Oldham, who in fact made him captain at Oldham aged 24. If LJ can get even more out of an ever improving Korey Smith we may have a seriously, seriously talented midfielder.

5 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

Easily our best player so far this season (for me) and the only player I believe we have that could step into the Premier League tomorrow and not look out of place. Worth noting he absolutely blossomed under Lee Johnson at Oldham, who in fact made him captain at Oldham aged 24. If LJ can get even more out of an ever improving Korey Smith we may have a seriously, seriously talented midfielder.

No doubt I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but didn't Lee Johnson actually sign Korey Smith whist at Oldham?

Now, if he can just find another couple of diamonds.......................................................................

I don't agree, at the time Wilbs was an experienced player , been there seen it done it etc, and we needed someone to pull a very young team together, which he has done and galvanised the squad, the fact that Cotts flogged him week in week out (when he was brought in to be an impact sub)  only serves  to prove what commitment he  has and therefore makes him the ideal candidate for captain.

Looks like KS went to Oldham on loan 3 days before LJ became manager....but LJ managed him and then certainly signed his permanently when Norwich let him go.  He then gave him his head as captain.  So there is gonna be a good bond between the two.

Gets a better appointment minute by minute.

7 hours ago, gas8er said:

I don't agree, at the time Wilbs was an experienced player , been there seen it done it etc, and we needed someone to pull a very young team together, which he has done and galvanised the squad, the fact that Cotts flogged him week in week out (when he was brought in to be an impact sub)  only serves  to prove what commitment he  has and therefore makes him the ideal candidate for captain.

Absolutely true and I would like him to be club captain a la Carey as he deserves it but with him inevitably getting less and less game time, Korey should be the man on the pitch. I honestly can`t remember what used to happen when LC was club captain on the rare occasions he played, did he automatically become the on-field captain or did whoever normally had that job (Sam Baldock?), keep it?

We still got to be the only country that thinks captaining the side is important! 

Everyone should be a leader on the pitch, captains shouldn't have to galvanise the rest of the team and pull them together they're professionals who have been playing football since the were kids and should know what to do!  

In Italy it usually goes to the player with the most caps and is not really seen as to being that important, whereas we give to the player with the highest media standing   (Not always but defiantly more recently we have)

Archived