IGNORED

How Long until Johnson is Sacked?

Bowie

How Long will Johnson last? - POLL  

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, Bowie said:

I don't want to debate....I've asked a few questions via a poll to let fans express their views quickly and easily without reading a 20 page thread which goes around in circles.

if anyone is getting attacked it's me, but it's just a bunch of people on an Internet form, it's not life or death.  Relax 

Not seen anyone attack you; point it out and I'll apologise, but just seen people question your comparison of LJ with Pulis.

Suprised you'd find that an attack; nothing particularly aggressive in it.

Sorry if people not agree with you upsets you.

Just now, samo II said:

Not seen anyone attack you; point it out and I'll apologise, but just seen people question your comparison of LJ with Pulis.

Suprised you'd find that an attack; nothing particularly aggressive in it.

Sorry if people not agree with you upsets you.

The only person who is suggestion attacks is you.

Jesus...chill out.  Go outside, get some fresh and do some gardening.

people agreed, people disagree. It's just a Internet forum.   Relax

16 minutes ago, London expats said:
Robbored in April last year posted this comment from late 2005 - What do we know about appointing managers ! 
He went on to give  us IMO some of the best years we have had for atmosphere and fun.

'Much criticism was aimed at Gary Johnson at this time; the Chairman of Bristol City Supporters Club labelled him a 'Conference Manager' and contended that he was 'totally out of his depth'.

Ah good old Robbored. How can we forget...fairly sure I heard it on Radio Bristol in 05-06, whenever.

Question itself, jury out on Johnson hope he's a success, fair chance etc but his lack of experience in a relegation scrap concerns.

Just now, Bowie said:

The only person who is suggestion attacks is you.

Jesus...chill out.  Go outside, get some fresh and do some gardening.

people agreed, people disagree. It's just a Internet forum.   Relax

Perfectly relaxed, pal, but thanks for checking.

And not really the weather for gardening where I am just now, unfortunately.  Good suggestion otherwise.

19 minutes ago, Ciderhead433 said:

What a sad poll

Typical of the attitude of a lot on here, many would love to see him fail, City get relegated just to prove how astute they were in having a negative opinion on LJ. We already know what Bowie thinks of LJ, why he even called another poster an imbecile just because he was positive about LJ

I know it is banded about on here the accusation that 'you don't support the club' however in this case you Bowie are an imposter, and you are not City, how about you do a poll on that, and when the majority agree that indeed you are a fraud, you sack yourself from here?  

I can't see this club ever being successful with Lansdown as owner, no matter how much money he pumps in.  The club seems to be a plaything for his whims.

Johnson is NOT the answer to our survival.  I hope he keeps us up - he may well do, but to think we could ever challenge in the top half of the Championship with him at the helm is pie in the sky.

We built up a good head of steam when promoted as Champions last season, with the ground being re-developed, everything looked rosey.  But we've ground to a pathetic halt because Cotterill didn't have the foresight, persistence or cash to strengthen the team in the summer, when everybody and his dog knew that it would be essential to keep the momentum going. Poor vision, scouting and a reluctance to pay the going rate has led to where we are now.  I do not accept that good players will not come here - it needs someone to sell them a vision and offer a package they will accept.

Poor management.

14 minutes ago, Bowie said:

I don't want to debate....I've asked a few questions via a poll to let fans express their views quickly and easily without reading a 20 page thread which goes around in circles.

if anyone is getting attacked it's me, but it's just a bunch of people on an Internet form, it's not life or death.  Relax 

IGNORE HIM!!!

I don't see any value in writing Johnson's obituary before he's even managed one game.

To those talking in terms of "when" he fails, rather than "if"....you don't know how this is going to go. There is no certainty that he will fail any more than there is a guarantee of success with an "experienced championship manager".

We've seen Pemberton enjoy relative success here in just four games, revising the formation and tightening up the defence. He had no prior experience as a number one. Better still, he's staying to work with Lee. If Pemberton can succeed on his own, then I see I reason why Johnson and Pemberton can't work together to succeed too. We can build on what Pemberton has achieved while adding in Johnson's new ideas and fresh impetus. I'm very optimistic.

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I don't see any value in writing Johnson's obituary before he's even managed one game.

To those talking in terms of "when" he fails, rather than "if"....you don't know how this is going to go. There is no certainty that he will fail any more than there is a guarantee of success with an "experienced championship manager".

We've seen Pemberton enjoy relative success here in just four games, revising the formation and tightening up the defence. He had no prior experience as a number one. Better still, he's staying to work with Lee. If Pemberton can succeed on his own, then I see I reason why Johnson and Pemberton can't work together to succeed too. We can build on what Pemberton has achieved while adding in Johnson's new ideas and fresh impetus. I'm very optimistic.

Modern day football sadly.... It's always a WHEN

Arsene Wenger is probably only manager in the country, if not Europe who is safe in his job.

Can't believe this had been posted before the bloke had even had a press conference or taken a bloody training session let alone got a few results under his belt. And comparing his appointments with Pulis' is just inflammatory.  You know it.  

The situation would be the same with any manager that came in - no one comes with any guarantees. We've just won a massive game, we've kept the blokes who have started the turnaround on board and have appointed a young, hungry evidently switched on and talented coach who fits in with where the club wants to go. Why don't you just get behind the manager and the club and the appointment.  If it goes tits up so be it. We go again. But give him a chance at least!!

8 minutes ago, ten minutes of rough said:

Typical of the attitude of a lot on here, many would love to see him fail, City get relegated just to prove how astute they were in having a negative opinion on LJ. We already know what Bowie thinks of LJ, why he even called another poster an imbecile just because he was positive about LJ

I know it is banded about on here the accusation that 'you don't support the club' however in this case you Bowie are an imposter, and you are not City, how about you do a poll on that, and when the majority agree that indeed you are a fraud, you sack yourself from here?  

boring-screenwriters-403x400.jpg

43 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I think you`ll find it`s not that many, just a lot of posts on the same subject from the same few `supporters`.

I agree. And most of those have no idea about LJ's ability as a manager/head coach. Just because he was a lower league player doesn't mean he won't become a top notch manager. Arsene Wenger is a classical example of that.

A couple of observations:

1. The comparison with Pulis is bizarre. Pulis played for the Gas and never appeared to relish being with us. LJ was a key player in our most successful team in modern times, his Dad was our most successful manager. That alone leaves me prepared to give him a chance.

2. Interesting to see that despite suspicion that this poll is an opportunity to stick the boot in, a comfortable majority approve the appointment or are undecided.

Considering SC was i think in the top 10 of longest serving managers and currently there are only 13 managers (according to wikipedia) that have served longer than 3 years it takes a miracle for any manager to see out his contract.

In each season only 10% of managers get champions league spots or get promoted, 80% do something between good and poor and another 10% get relegated. That's an awful lot of clubs that want to be in the top 10% of each league but can't be so 90% of managers will technically fail every season.

I hope he's one of the 10% but likelihood is that he will be in the 90% and that will eventually lead to him getting sacked.

There is no proven formula and no guarantee of success, i hope he does well for us and goes on for a long career with us but statistically he doesn't have a very good chance.

As I don't claim to be able to tell the future,  I won't take part in this poll. 

I was pretty dischuffed with LJ as our choice, but accept that he may be the best we could get under the circumstances.  

As with most of us posters, he now starts with a blank slate as far as I'm concerned : what he's done in the past is irrelevant as is his performance when he was a player.  All I'm going to judge the guy on is what he does here, now.

C'mon Lee, show us what you can do and let's get this great club back to a force to be feared.

PS:  If you are reading this, my daughters estimated your age at 46 or 50, so that beard is probably not doing you any favours!

Welcome Lee.  Really looking forward to Championship football in August in our brilliant new Premiership stadium.  I'm delaying my holiday next weekend just so I can be there to support you and the team.  The very best of luck. 

1 hour ago, Big Red Rich said:

By Christmas. I bloody hope he's a success but I just can't see it. 

Agree he`s on a hiding to nothing and completely in-experienced at champ level even if we survive; although a yes man SL has made a mistake and this may give LJ up to a year.

Nothing will change even if we do survive, if we are not going to compete with top championship teams and the salaries they pay, at best it will be same as, same as next season.

Should have got Pearson and dropped MA.

3 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Should have got Pearson

I don't think we were ever close to appealing to Pearson; out of our league as things stand, in my eyes.

He showed last year he has the ability to keep a low resourced team in the Premier League, and the foundations he established at Leicester have given them the platform to challenge for the title; I'd wager he is keeping his powder dry till the summer, when he'll undoubtedly have a shot at a top level job, as the closer the Foxes come to achieving something amazing, the more his stock grows, even though he's relaxing away from the game.

Not sure being unable to attract someone of his calibre and reputation is the fault of the board; we may as well complain we couldn't attract Guardiola.

57 minutes ago, Sydneybcfc said:

Considering SC was i think in the top 10 of longest serving managers and currently there are only 13 managers (according to wikipedia) that have served longer than 3 years it takes a miracle for any manager to see out his contract.

In each season only 10% of managers get champions league spots or get promoted, 80% do something between good and poor and another 10% get relegated. That's an awful lot of clubs that want to be in the top 10% of each league but can't be so 90% of managers will technically fail every season.

I hope he's one of the 10% but likelihood is that he will be in the 90% and that will eventually lead to him getting sacked.

There is no proven formula and no guarantee of success, i hope he does well for us and goes on for a long career with us but statistically he doesn't have a very good chance.

If 13 managers have lasted over three years in their current job, how could Cotts have been in the top 10?

He did December 2013 to January 2016 with us didn't he? So a smidge over two years?

Archived