IGNORED

Rotherham : Redfearn out / Warnock in (MERGED)

HoldenBall

1 hour ago, cityloyal473 said:

Quick question: If LJ had not been appointed City manager - do you think Rotherham would have considered/approached him?  If not, why not?

That's a good question. Rotherham have taken the "experience" option in order to try and stay in this league, we have chosen a hugely inexperienced head coach to try and achieve the same purpose. I doubt they would have went for LJ as apparently they had 3 experienced managers on their shortlist, so that was their policy.

Time will tell which "option" was best, maybe both will succeed , maybe both will fail.

1 hour ago, formerly known as ivan said:

What is long term in football nowadays?

Relegation this season, bad start to next and he will be gone by Christmas (hoping this isn't what happens, just one possibility).

If we are relegated, it would need a very strong start to next season or he would be gone, but that would be the same at most clubs.

4 hours ago, cityloyal473 said:

Quick question: If LJ had not been appointed City manager - do you think Rotherham would have considered/approached him?  If not, why not?

Brilliant question.

I think not, but then neither do I think that this amounts to we should not have. I don't think they would have because he's still building a name for himself and still building experience. I doubt they'd have had such a 'beady eye' on his development and neither would they have had the benefit of seeing his preparations for the Oldham interviews etc. We may have unearthed a gem who is under the radar. We may not have mind.

2 hours ago, chipdawg said:

As I've said elsewhere, Warnock has more of a track record of getting teams relegated than keeping them up and his last two permanent roles have resulted in sackings and teams battling relegation- both of whom improved significantly after he left

He's got two relegations on his CV - both from the top tier - and seven promotions.

Saved QPR from relegation to div 3 and promoted them to the premier league as champions the next season, some turnaround...

25 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

He's got two relegations on his CV - both from the top tier - and seven promotions.

Saved QPR from relegation to div 3 and promoted them to the premier league as champions the next season, some turnaround...

The number of promotions he's had is irrelevant to Rotherham or indeed our situation. Warnock's talent (and a talent which appears to have faded in recent years) was for building a team over a summer and then getting them in promotion contention. Other than taking over QPR, where he spent A LOT of Tony Fernandes' money, he hasn't turned a team around, especially in a short time frame on a small budget

Not saying they won't have a better chance with Warnock than Redfearn, who seems out of his depth, just that he isn't tailor-made for the role as some would suggest 

3 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

What is long term in football nowadays?

Relegation this season, bad start to next and he will be gone by Christmas (hoping this isn't what happens, just one possibility).

He'll be gone at the end of the season regardless, he's only gone there to try and save them, He's 67 now and has been looking to retire for a while according to him

17 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

The number of promotions he's had is irrelevant to Rotherham or indeed our situation. Warnock's talent (and a talent which appears to have faded in recent years) was for building a team over a summer and then getting them in promotion contention. Other than taking over QPR, where he spent A LOT of Tony Fernandes' money, he hasn't turned a team around, especially in a short time frame on a small budget

Not saying they won't have a better chance with Warnock than Redfearn, who seems out of his depth, just that he isn't tailor-made for the role as some would suggest 

Fair enough but I was just responding to your quote that 'Warnock has more of a track record for relegating teams than keeping them up..'

I don't agree with that. Two relegations in a 36 year management career at mostly unfashionable clubs just doesn't seem like a track record of failure to me...

6 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fair enough but I was just responding to your quote that 'Warnock has more of a track record for relegating teams than keeping them up..'

I don't agree with that. Two relegations in a 36 year management career at mostly unfashionable clubs just doesn't seem like a track record of failure to me...

What I meant by that was that Rotheram's situation is not what Warnock has built his career on. It's not that he has a track record of failure, it's that he doesn't have a track record in keeping clubs in this situation up

It's an interesting appointment but it's worth remembering that Warnock hasn't had a great season for 5 years and that neither Leeds or his return to Palace worked out.  He's also done most of his good work with Mick Jones (he'd managed Sheffield United for 6 years before Mick Jones joined him and that season they were promoted.  Jones was also there at Palace and QPR and most of his other successful jobs.  There's no confirmation if he's joining them.

The other issue is that Warnock succeeded at QPR and Palace (the first time) by getting underperforming players to perform for him.  I'm not convinced that Rotherham are underperforming and I'd question whether, even if Warnock is able to get the best out of that team, there's enough quality to compete in this division. 

53 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Actually I can count at least 3 relegations and that's not counting the times he was sacked with his teams in the relegation zone.

2 hours ago, Big C said:

Actually I can count at least 3 relegations and that's not counting the times he was sacked with his teams in the relegation zone.

Go on then, he took Notts Co from the old third div to old div one in successive seasons and he was relegated with them in the last season before it became the premier league.

He relegated Sheff U in 2007 from the premier league.

And that's it - so name your 'at least three'...

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Go on then, he took Notts Co from the old third div to old div one in successive seasons and he was relegated with them in the last season before it became the premier league.

He relegated Sheff U in 2007 from the premier league.

And that's it - so name your 'at least three'...

Well its 4 then because I didn't even count Notts Co:shifty:. He also relegated Oldham and Bury

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

He didn't relegate Oldham, they finished 13th in his season in charge there. But I'd forgotten Bury, so fair play and apologies..

Oldham were relegated at the end of the 1996/97 season. Warnock was appointed 21/2/97. A bit like Rotherham have done now they appointed him to save them, so that bodes well for us

3 minutes ago, Big C said:

Oldham were relegated at the end of the 1996/97 season. Warnock was appointed 21/2/97. A bit like Rotherham have done now they appointed him to save them, so that bodes well for us

Blimey you may be right again! I thought he was only there for the 1997/98. As he joined in Feb '97 you could say the damage had been done? I mean, if we go down this season is it Cotts' fault or Lee's?

Archived