IGNORED

Tony Pulis says match day tickets should be ten pounds

Never to the dark side

39 minutes ago, Nube Rojo said:

Great idea but the incredible wealth of the Prem needs to be shared more evenly first

Interestingly if you use the premise of an average price of £35 and an average Prem attendance of 30,000 x 20 home matches you reach £20 million receipts in a season; from season 2016-17 a club will receive a minimum media prize money award of £90 million. 

In short, while gate receipts are significant, they will represent less than 25% of the total take even before we consider the revenue from stadium facilities, food and drink which will vary widely.

If average ticket prices were reduced to £10, still way ahead of real inflationary prices of £7.50 vis a vis prices in 1990 the club take for gate receipts would reduce from 20 million to 6 million or 14 million less. From this season to next lowest prize money goes from 30 million to 90 million so the net gain, year on year, increases by 46 million instead of 60 million. This is a critical 12 months for all Premiership clubs and perhaps a one time opportunity to not only massively increase their revenue but also massively reduce ticket prices at the same time. It is a total no brainer and clubs, in my humbles, have an obligation, yes folks an obligation, to do the right thing. Pulis is bang on the money.

The Premiership and, more crucially, the rump Football League, clearly should have negotiated a fairer form of accelerator trickle down share to the FL72 that rose commensurately. As it stands right now the Prem can, if they wish, pay no solidarity payments whatsoever. The premiership, I know, held all the cards back in 1992 or so we are led to believe, but it is nothing short of criminal how they got away with it.

I think the new media deal might just tilt the balance so much so that it could have a hugely negative impact on the relationship with the FL72 and catapult the top 20, with the exception of parachute payment clubs and a few other canny ones, to a level no other clubs can ever reach. Only time will tell how damaging that will be to the FL72 and the completely alienated top flight as well.

Whilst I agree that Prem clubs could, and perhaps should, reduce ticket prices to £10, I fear for clubs like us in the Football League if it did happen. No doubt Prem clubs can afford to make a drastic cut in prices, but we couldn't and we'd be pretty much forced to do it regardless, as how could we justify charging more than Man U, Arsenal etc.

I can realistically see many League clubs going to the wall if such a cut ever takes place.....not that it ever will.

27 minutes ago, ooRya said:

Whilst I agree that Prem clubs could, and perhaps should, reduce ticket prices to £10, I fear for clubs like us in the Football League if it did happen. No doubt Prem clubs can afford to make a drastic cut in prices, but we couldn't and we'd be pretty much forced to do it regardless, as how could we justify charging more than Man U, Arsenal etc.

I can realistically see many League clubs going to the wall if such a cut ever takes place.....not that it ever will.

Very strongly agree. Let's take a family of 4, £10 each at Arsenal for example. Tank of petrol in a standard family hatch approximately  £45, total to travel to and watch £85.

Now presume the average FL club caps tickets at £25 for the same family of 4 it will cost £100, and we'll use a family living in Bristol who would like to support their local club as the example. It doesn't take a genius to work out that watching Arsenal would be quite attractive. 

It won't happen because there is no way they would allow the costs to drop that much, but if somehow somewhere it did happen, I agree lower league football clubs could die.

Am gonna suggest 10 pounds while great would have too much effect on those below top flight. Its a great idea though and something should be done about cost of football but 10 opens up a lot of issues. 

OTOH you could introduce it for specific games especially those where the club looks like a low low attendance, £10-15 something like. Across the board though? Unconvinced it's viable for football as a whole, knock on etc.

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Am gonna suggest 10 pounds while great would have too much effect on those below top flight. Its a great idea though and something should be done about cost of football but 10 opens up a lot of issues. 

OTOH you could introduce it for specific games especially those where the club looks like a low low attendance, £10-15 something like. Across the board though? Unconvinced it's viable for football as a whole, knock on etc.

Standing at Bath City is £12.00 so £10.00 would presumably see their finances pushed. Even more so if they then are pressured into reducing further to be lower than FL & PL teams.

2 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Standing at Bath City is £12.00 so £10.00 would presumably see their finances pushed. Even more so if they then are pressured into reducing further to be lower than FL & PL teams.

Wow. Nothing against Bath City but that's aan eye opener. £12 for standing in the Conference?? That's a symptom of how football has gone or is going, especially here.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Wow. Nothing against Bath City but that's aan eye opener. £12 for standing in the Conference?? That's a symptom of how football has gone or is going, especially here.

£12? You can get cocktails in Soho for that price, so I hear :ph34r:

What you need to remember at all these non league grounds, is they still need to pay rent/lease etc, utility charges, supplies (food, drink, loo roll!!) and at least try to make some sort of profit. 

The big problem over here is the fact that everything costs so much thanks to the taxman, as well as the costs for utilities. I work in a school and am shocked at the amount we pay for water, electric gas etc. The operating costs alone to run a small ground is probably a lot more than you would think. 

Some of the prices for non league mentioned above, did surprise me actually compared to league football, but when you sit back and think about it, should it really?

I think this just proves how much the money from the TV deals should be spread around better. Not just to the league clubs, but even further down. It will never happen but it's something that should be looked into I think.

6 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Interestingly if you use the premise of an average price of £35 and an average Prem attendance of 30,000 x 20 home matches you reach £20 million receipts in a season; from season 2016-17 a club will receive a minimum media prize money award of £90 million. 

In short, while gate receipts are significant, they will represent less than 25% of the total take even before we consider the revenue from stadium facilities, food and drink which will vary widely.

If average ticket prices were reduced to £10, still way ahead of real inflationary prices of £7.50 vis a vis prices in 1990 the club take for gate receipts would reduce from 20 million to 6 million or 14 million less. From this season to next lowest prize money goes from 30 million to 90 million so the net gain, year on year, increases by 46 million instead of 60 million. This is a critical 12 months for all Premiership clubs and perhaps a one time opportunity to not only massively increase their revenue but also massively reduce ticket prices at the same time. It is a total no brainer and clubs, in my humbles, have an obligation, yes folks an obligation, to do the right thing. Pulis is bang on the money.

The Premiership and, more crucially, the rump Football League, clearly should have negotiated a fairer form of accelerator trickle down share to the FL72 that rose commensurately. As it stands right now the Prem can, if they wish, pay no solidarity payments whatsoever. The premiership, I know, held all the cards back in 1992 or so we are led to believe, but it is nothing short of criminal how they got away with it.

I think the new media deal might just tilt the balance so much so that it could have a hugely negative impact on the relationship with the FL72 and catapult the top 20, with the exception of parachute payment clubs and a few other canny ones, to a level no other clubs can ever reach. Only time will tell how damaging that will be to the FL72 and the completely alienated top flight as well.

Condensed Version

The SYNT's are ripping the fans off

6 hours ago, View from the Dolman said:

I'm surprised Ken Loach stands for that (keep the red flag flying high; power to the people, etc etc)

Archived