IGNORED

why the delay

Redmycolour

3 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Err, he has just replaced 1 apparently respected coach and an up and coming coach and could easily consult Mr Burt, Mr Ashton, Mr Tinnion, senior players and I would suspect that LJ knew quite a while before Saturday that he was going to become BCFC's head coach/manager.

He's also had little time to see the difference the loanees will make, Tomlin being the best example.

1 minute ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

17 league goals in 76 appearances, hardly a 'force'.

A coaches role is to develop and improve players and they do that in different ways. Wilbraham has had his day but Agard and Kodjia can still improve.

Please don't get me wrong, it is clear we need a striker, but I can see why LJ wouldn't be desperate to get one in before the weekend. Apparently according to some reaction after the window closed, we needed a new striker for Charlton or we would definitely lose....

1 minute ago, City169 said:

So why are you trying to use this to have a go at LJ? 

I don't think that anybody is having a go at LJ, most people are merely pointing out that unabated optimism that somehow BCFC will unearth a loan striker who will manage to do what it says on the tin are slim to none, firstly take a good luck at our history in that department and secondly the realism of our position in being able to attract a suitable striker in an emergency loan window.

4 minutes ago, Red Army 87 said:

A coaches role is to develop and improve players and they do that in different ways. Wilbraham has had his day but Agard and Kodjia can still improve.

Please don't get me wrong, it is clear we need a striker, but I can see why LJ wouldn't be desperate to get one in before the weekend. Apparently according to some reaction after the window closed, we needed a new striker for Charlton or we would definitely lose....

OK 15 games left after Saturday and you believe that a coach can work that amount of magic in that short space of time? and please don't even try to use Saturday's result (as great and as welcome as it was) as an advert for the fact that we might not even need a striker, we played a worse team than us, defended incredibly well (something we have been doing for a while now), had a penalty that on another day might not have been given and the penalty itself would have normally been saved 9 times out of 10.

OK 15 games left after Saturday and you believe that a coach can work that amount of magic in that short space of time? and please don't even try to use Saturday's result (as great and as welcome as it was) as an advert for the fact that we might not even need a striker, we played a worse team than us, defended incredibly well (something we have been doing for a while now), had a penalty that on another day might not have been given and the penalty itself would have normally been saved 9 times out of 10.

read my post again re: needing a new striker.

6 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I don't think that anybody is having a go at LJ, most people are merely pointing out that unabated optimism that somehow BCFC will unearth a loan striker who will manage to do what it says on the tin are slim to none, firstly take a good luck at our history in that department and secondly the realism of our position in being able to attract a suitable striker in an emergency loan window.

This I agree with regarding the paucity of decent options in the January window.

1 minute ago, Red Army 87 said:

read my post again re: needing a new striker.

I read it and the last sentence as nothing to do with strikers at all, we deservedly won but not because of our strikers.

The only work a coach can do now IMO is to work with hopefully a new striker (if one can found in this desperate situation) in conjunction with what LJ has at his disposal and hopes it clicks quickly because to be honest the only pairing that has even looked marginally like working was Kodjia and Wilbraham, which is doomed to failure because of the age and fitness of one of them.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yeah he did, as it should be. The press conference on player is well worth a watch if you have a spare hour, he's great to listen to. Articulate, bright and self deprecating.

Been meaning to get around to it all week, been a busy one! I'll be trying my best again tonight to get there!

2 hours ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I can't wait for this one to pan out, apart from the possible hope of Matt Smith, Laverty or Bent possibly signing, who or what is going to be available within this loan window?, most likely the usual procession of BCFCesque type loan strikers, overpaid has beens, overpaid never were's, overpaid sick notes, somebody who played in the top flight a few times and scored a goal on MOTD once, it's a loan window what club will want to off load a striker who can score goals.

But as ever I always live in hope, there is always hope.

You forgot the ones that are prolific on FIFA16 or whatever is the in game for the kids these days :)

20 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

17 league goals in 76 appearances, hardly a 'force'.

Strangely though no other club in the bottom five has a striker with more league goals than Wilbraham, let alone Kodjia.

Perhaps a central midfield three (plus Reid) with a single goal between them all season might just be the actual problem?

35 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

Your missing the point mate, as EMB has just said, we can't score goals............evaluating isn't required.......we need a striker!!!!! He should know, he's clever, bright, articulate, has potential, has contacts.....

...but no proven record.

Your answer suggests we just get a striker in and everything will be solved, which kind of striker do we need for everything to be so great? I mean, they're all the same aren't they.

7 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I read it and the last sentence as nothing to do with strikers at all, we deservedly won but not because of our strikers.

The only work a coach can do now IMO is to work with hopefully a new striker (if one can found in this desperate situation) in conjunction with what LJ has at his disposal and hopes it clicks quickly because to be honest the only pairing that has even looked marginally like working was Kodjia and Wilbraham, which is doomed to failure because of the age and fitness of one of them.

My last sentence was more of a reaction to the hysteria on here when we didn't sign a striker in the Jan window.

I think it is more important that we work on getting goals from other areas of the team, our midfield goal return is woeful.

Regarding coaching and training a new striker with the rest, I think you're absolutely right. I just can see why LJ wouldn't be as desperate as OTIB to get one in before this weekend.

Just now, GrahamC said:

Strangely though no other club in the bottom five has a striker with more league goals than Wilbraham, let alone Kodjia.

Perhaps a central midfield three (plus Reid) with a single goal between them all season might just be the actual problem?

Could not agree more -- lack of from midfield is putting so much pressure on strikers. Opposition dont need to keep an eye on our midfield. Not sure why this is but it is a problem I would have thought could and should have been worked on.

26 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I don't see anyone suggesting that we will unearth a gem, just people saying we need someone who will help take some of the pressure from our current forwards and give Kodjia a break.

3 hours ago, redmycolour said:

There was the January window.NO striker.now the loan window open amd still no news of a striker that we desperately need to stay up.WHY? I know things take time but come on. yes we have a new coach but surely MARK ASHTON has told him who the targets are.number 1should be (well we all know who it should be)

New manager, new ideas. Give him a chance to get his feet under the table!!

Matt Smith will not be the answer to our goal scoring problem, a poacher is what is required. Smith would be last on my list as far better players are available if we are willing to pay decent dollar

2 minutes ago, Red Army 87 said:

My last sentence was more of a reaction to the hysteria on here when we didn't sign a striker in the Jan window.

I think it is more important that we work on getting goals from other areas of the team, our midfield goal return is woeful.

Regarding coaching and training a new striker with the rest, I think you're absolutely right. I just can see why LJ wouldn't be as desperate as OTIB to get one in before this weekend.

The bottom line for me is, maybe in the Ipswich game everything will come together and our strikers will score a couple each in a comfortable win and kick on from there, maybe we will unearth a loan and he will be a success or maybe the midfield will start weighing in, I don't really I just want one of those to happen and to happen quickly or maybe we will go down again and that is unthinkable.

The midfield discussion is very interesting to me, I have made comment all season about our midfield failures not only scoring but creating and woeful defending when we are under pressure, but the vast majority have said no it's the defence or no it's the strikers.

5 minutes ago, City169 said:

I don't see anyone suggesting that we will unearth a gem, just people saying we need someone who will help take some of the pressure from our current forwards and give Kodjia a break.

i'm sorry i'm struggling with this one, take the pressure off of our current forwards including Kodjia a pass that on to somebody else who presumably isn't scoring at this moment in time?.

i'm sorry i'm struggling with this one, take the pressure off of our current forwards including Kodjia a pass that on to somebody else who presumably isn't scoring at this moment in time?.

Not scoring for what reason though, are they not good enough, on poor form  or a young player not being given a chance, or being made to play a way they aren't suited too or even out of position? That is what LJ, Mark Ashton and whoever have to look at and work out who is the smallest risk to take. The pressure away from Kodjia is also to do with how often this season he has been making chances out of nothing- even if they get wasted. 

19 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

And that one goal (assuming you meant Freeman's at Ipswich) was heading for the corner flag before it's wicked deflection, throw in the fact that any combination of wing backs have hardly got a goal between them tells us that our lack of goals is a major issue all over the pitch, (thank god for Kodjia)

1 hour ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Err, he has just replaced 1 apparently respected coach and an up and coming coach and could easily consult Mr Burt, Mr Ashton, Mr Tinnion, senior players and I would suspect that LJ knew quite a while before Saturday that he was going to become BCFC's head coach/manager.

IMHO!    A long while.

1 hour ago, Red Army 87 said:

Not knocking the win but we scored a penalty. Against guff opposition. 

1 hour ago, Thatch35 said:

Your missing the point mate, as EMB has just said, we can't score goals............evaluating isn't required.......we need a striker!!!!! He should know, he's clever, bright, articulate, has potential, has contacts.....

...but no proven record.

our strikers have scored goals and are capable of doing it they've all proven that in the past, our problem is no goals from midfield and has been all season,

Andre Gray Burnley 18
2 Abel Hernández Hull City 15
2 Ross McCormack Fulham 15
3 Alan Judge Brentford 12
4 Nick Blackman Derby County 11
4 Fernando Forestieri Sheffield Wednesday 11
4 Jordan Rhodes Middlesbrough 11
4 Nahki Wells Huddersfield Town 11
5 Moussa Dembele Fulham 9
5 Gary Hooper Sheffield Wednesday 9
5 Jonathan Kodjia Bristol City 9
5 Chris Martin Derby County 9
6 Nélson Miguel Castro Oliveira Nottingham Forest 8
6 Tom Ince Derby County 8
6 Daryl Murphy Ipswich Town 8
6 Brett Pitman Ipswich Town 8
6 Chris Wood Leeds United 8
7 Tomer Hemed Brighton & Hove Albion 7
7 James Henry Wolverhampton Wanderers 7
7 Daniel Johnson Preston North End 7
7 Joe Mason Wolverhampton Wanderers 7
7 Lasse Vibe Brentford 7
7 Sam Vokes Burnley 7
7 Bobby Zamora Brighton & Hove Albion 7
8 Scott Arfield Burnley 6

2 hours ago, Thatch35 said:

...but no proven record.

Can I also point out that we finished 4th and got through to the play-off final with our top scorer only scoring 8 goals,

We could score 8 goals between now and the end of the season and still get 60 points

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Thank the Lord .... There is one out there with some actual sense! 

Archived