IGNORED

North Korea

Wanderingred

All jokes about my username aside, I'm wondering if any other City fan has ever been there or would consider going there?

I've just got back from a five day tour. It's a shithole, a real sorry place but a fascinating and eye opening experience. I was there when the rocket was launched and whilst the rest of the world was up in arms, we were watching the celebrations in the central square.. fireworks and dancing.

Some people say that tourism just lines the pockets of the regime but I really don't see it that way. The more interaction they have with the outside world, the more open they will hopefully become.

23 hours ago, Kim_il_sung said:

All jokes about my username aside, I'm wondering if any other City fan has ever been there or would consider going there?

I've just got back from a five day tour. It's a shithole, a real sorry place but a fascinating and eye opening experience. I was there when the rocket was launched and whilst the rest of the world was up in arms, we were watching the celebrations in the central square.. fireworks and dancing.

Some people say that tourism just lines the pockets of the regime but I really don't see it that way. The more interaction they have with the outside world, the more open they will hopefully become.

Very interesting @Kim_il_sung what took you there? It must be incredibly weird to go to such a fascinating place. 

2 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Very interesting @Kim_il_sung what took you there? It must be incredibly weird to go to such a fascinating place. 

Morbid curiosity really. Unfortunately though, we weren't allowed to interact with the regular everyday people so I have no more insight into what their everyday lives are like than I did before.

I would LOVE to visit North Korea. The closest I'll ever get to experience the great Soviet states I've read so much about (OK, I think it's a different form of communism but it'll do).

One things for sure, when it collapses, which it will, the psychology studies of subjects learning their entire life they've been lied to will be fascinating.

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 08:19, Barrs Court Red said:

I would LOVE to visit North Korea. The closest I'll ever get to experience the great Soviet states I've read so much about (OK, I think it's a different form of communism but it'll do).

One things for sure, when it collapses, which it will, the psychology studies of subjects learning their entire life they've been lied to will be fascinating.

You mean the imperious leader didn't score a thousand against Australia not so long back? I'm guessing the football World Cup win was legit though, yeah?

1 hour ago, Woodsy said:

You mean the imperious leader didn't score a thousand against Australia not so long back? I'm guessing the football World Cup win was legit though, yeah?

The rumour about the North Korean authorities telling it's people they won the World Cup is false! I talked about football with our guides and they were aware that Portugal thrashed them 7-0. They said the game was even screened live on national TV. As backwards and repressive as the place is, there have been some stories fabricated by the western media, such as this one!

I'd love to go, money probably puts me off.  I've known a fair few people who've gone from the urban exploration scene and been a 'bit' naughty as guests when there - even going out to the much more deprived southern areas of the country. One day perhaps.. along with Famagusta if the Turks ever open it up again.

Remember seeing one rediculously crazy report from an explorer who seemed to get into some miltary tunnels in beijing.. full of old commy images/propoganda and AK47s.

On 2/15/2016 at 01:01, Kim_il_sung said:

Went with koryo tours. Very expensive but they are supposed to be the best!

Yeah, same here - Simon still doing the tours..?

Definitely with you on the idea of it becoming more open with more interaction. I know it's changed loads since we were there (back end of 2012, one of the last few groups that had phones etc. confiscated at the border - I believe they're allowed in now?), and it was interesting to talk about how different it was in the 90s when Koryo started doing tours.

Some of the rumours and Western propaganda about the country - as alluded to - seems such a shame, really, because nobody needs to fabricate anything, and, in doing so, I feel it takes "attention" (for want of a better word) away from the actual problems etc. People want it to be some creepy, conspiratorial, spy movie the whole time, when in reality it's just a massively struggling country, with an entrenched and brutal regime.

i.e. The radios aren't bugged - they're just crap.

On 14/02/2016 at 13:48, BS2 Red said:

I read Dom Joly's book "The Dark Tourist" a few years ago (great book btw!) and was fascinated by his experience in North Korea. I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to go, but I can see why people would.

On 15/02/2016 at 01:01, Kim_il_sung said:

Went with koryo tours. Very expensive but they are supposed to be the best!

23 hours ago, RedYoshi said:

Simon is a friend of a friend and originally from Thornbury - small world eh!

He took Dom Joly on the tour that influenced his book. Simon used to be the only one doing tours into North Korea so he is very much regarded as the original and best. He ended up in that part of the world after going travelling with my mate on the trans Siberian railway and basically never coming back!

On 2/16/2016 at 20:36, RedYoshi said:

Definitely with you on the idea of it becoming more open with more interaction. I know it's changed loads since we were there (back end of 2012, one of the last few groups that had phones etc. confiscated at the border - I believe they're allowed in now?), and it was interesting to talk about how different it was in the 90s when Koryo started doing tours.

Some of the rumours and Western propaganda about the country - as alluded to - seems such a shame, really, because nobody needs to fabricate anything, and, in doing so, I feel it takes "attention" (for want of a better word) away from the actual problems etc. People want it to be some creepy, conspiratorial, spy movie the whole time, when in reality it's just a massively struggling country, with an entrenched and brutal regime.

i.e. The radios aren't bugged - they're just crap.

Simon is still the managing director but he doesn't go so often these days. The founder Nick is still around too.

Phones are allowed now but you aren't allowed to use them unless you buy a strictly monitored North Korean sim card (not worth it for 4 days) and they check all your photos at the border.

• Admin
On 2/14/2016 at 13:48, BS2 Red said:

I read Dom Joly's book "The Dark Tourist" a few years ago (great book btw!) and was fascinated by his experience in North Korea. I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to go, but I can see why people would.

Thanks for the heads up - will get a copy

On 2/17/2016 at 11:55, Kid in the Riot said:

Simon is a friend of a friend and originally from Thornbury - small world eh!

He took Dom Joly on the tour that influenced his book. Simon used to be the only one doing tours into North Korea so he is very much regarded as the original and best. He ended up in that part of the world after going travelling with my mate on the trans Siberian railway and basically never coming back!

Amazing. I do remember chatting about him being from round these parts - small world indeed! Definitely talked about Dom Joly's tour too, as we'd just read the book, and it was quite amusing to hear Simon's "yeeeeah, that's not exactly how it happened" take on it. Ha.

On 2/19/2016 at 08:05, Kim_il_sung said:

Simon is still the managing director but he doesn't go so often these days. The founder Nick is still around too.

Phones are allowed now but you aren't allowed to use them unless you buy a strictly monitored North Korean sim card (not worth it for 4 days) and they check all your photos at the border.

Ah ok - yeah definitely not worth it. I actually quite enjoyed not having phone/internet etc., was rather refreshing, if a result of all the wrong reasons.

Did you get anything deleted on the way out? They checked ours (on cameras, not phone), but didn't delete anything, and seemed to get bored halfway through - almost seemed like it was for show more than anything else. Others did get a fair few photos deleted though, so maybe we just got lucky with our guard.

6 minutes ago, RedYoshi said:

Amazing. I do remember chatting about him being from round these parts - small world indeed! Definitely talked about Dom Joly's tour too, as we'd just read the book, and it was quite amusing to hear Simon's "yeeeeah, that's not exactly how it happened" take on it. Ha.

Ah ok - yeah definitely not worth it. I actually quite enjoyed not having phone/internet etc., was rather refreshing, if a result of all the wrong reasons.

Did you get anything deleted on the way out? They checked ours (on cameras, not phone), but didn't delete anything, and seemed to get bored halfway through - almost seemed like it was for show more than anything else. Others did get a fair few photos deleted though, so maybe we just got lucky with our guard.

They didn't delete anything but they looked through pretty much all my pics, including ones from before my trip including a picture of a penis shaped ice-cream which put them into hysterical laughter. Another guy on our tour had the full batman animated movie on his laptop and two guards watched a good 15-20 minutes of it!

Interactions like that help a lot imho because it's a great way for them to get a picture of what the outside world is really like and see that we aren't all imperialistic devils!

Archived