IGNORED

My favourite aspect of Saturday

The Nest Egg

Saturday was a great time to be at the Gate.My second game since I'd been at university, and one of my old teachers was in the away end. We'd been waiting for this game for quite a while and the performance and entertainment handed out really made the occasion memorable (especially for me thanks to Flint making Berra look like someone who colours in books in his spare time)

Anyway, this wasn't my favourite aspect of Saturday. Since there were little tickets left when I ordered them, I decided to go in the new South Stand- just next to the new family section. I was amazed by a huge new generation of City fans cheering their team on while proud parents watched. A U8 football team seated in front of me were given flags by the stewards and a little boy behind me was simply creating his own chants and screaming them in sheer excitement whenever we began to break Ipswich down. When I was watching the cup replay against West Brom my mate (a baggies fan) pointed out we seemed to have a bit of an older fanbase than what he had seen from following his team, and looking around I almost felt inclined to agree. Yet my time in the South Stand showed me how wrong I was, and how the club have managed to allow this crucial demographic to thrive. Perhaps I need to go back there after a 4-0 drubbing for a truly balanced study, but I hope the team produce performances that will keep the next generation of City supporters asking their parents if they can come back to AG.

4 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

Saturday was a great time to be at the Gate.My second game since I'd been at university, and one of my old teachers was in the away end. We'd been waiting for this game for quite a while and the performance and entertainment handed out really made the occasion memorable (especially for me thanks to Flint making Berra look like someone who colours in books in his spare time)

Anyway, this wasn't my favourite aspect of Saturday. Since there were little tickets left when I ordered them, I decided to go in the new South Stand- just next to the new family section. I was amazed by a huge new generation of City fans cheering their team on while proud parents watched. A U8 football team seated in front of me were given flags by the stewards and a little boy behind me was simply creating his own chants and screaming them in sheer excitement whenever we began to break Ipswich down. When I was watching the cup replay against West Brom my mate (a baggies fan) pointed out we seemed to have a bit of an older fanbase than what he had seen from following his team, and looking around I almost felt inclined to agree. Yet my time in the South Stand showed me how wrong I was, and how the club have managed to allow this crucial demographic to thrive. Perhaps I need to go back there after a 4-0 drubbing for a truly balanced study, but I hope the team produce performances that will keep the next generation of City supporters asking their parents if they can come back to AG.

You mean the colouring books used therapeutically by people with dementia to help reduce angziety/stress levels???........….

5 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

Short version:

Family stand was full............of families

I don't think you'll have much trouble when the time comes for your 15000 word dissertation.

Haha, I return to the forum because something interested me about the game

2 hours ago, CodeRed said:

Short version:

Family stand was full............of families

I don't think you'll have much trouble when the time comes for your 15000 word dissertation.

So something interests me about the game, and the first thing that comes to your mind is cynicism. Yes, it sounds simplistic at first, but having sat in the Atyeo family stand before it seems like in the SS we have a completely different, more child-friendly culture than we did before and I just wanted to point it out.

Or you can just be like that. I don't mind, I'll just leave this old boys club to talk and argue amongst themselves if my presence is really irking you that much...

4 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

So something interests me about the game, and the first thing that comes to your mind is cynicism. Yes, it sounds simplistic at first, but having sat in the Atyeo family stand before it seems like in the SS we have a completely different, more child-friendly culture than we did before and I just wanted to point it out.

Or you can just be like that. I don't mind, I'll just leave this old boy's club to talk amongst themselves if my presence is really irking you that much...

Take no notice, it was good to read a well constructed articulate reply for a change, actually there are some very good wordsmiths on here, so don't give up, Bristol sense of humour can be a bit dark ...

1 hour ago, Newquay-Red said:

Or you can just be like that. I don't mind, I'll just leave this old boys club to talk and argue amongst themselves if my presence is really irking you that much...

I actually read the reply as quite humourous and typical of our Bristolian sarcasm, taken from Tonys' 'condensed' versions of Havanas' excellent match day thread openers. I really wouldn't be overly concerned Newquay-Red.

1 hour ago, Newquay-Red said:

having sat in the Atyeo family stand before it seems like in the SS we have a completely different, more child-friendly culture than we did before and I just wanted to point it out.

Not sure if it's you being amusing now and  sending me up ?

I mean - I dropped in at the pub last night and everybody was drinking - amazing!.........then on to a restaurant where each and every person in there was eating.  - now what are the chances of that?         Had to point that out or you'd never believe it

Almost as unlikely as the Family stand at a sports event being full of parents with kids

59 minutes ago, ciderup said:

I actually read the reply as quite humourous and typical of our Bristolian sarcasm, taken from Tonys' 'condensed' versions of Havanas' excellent match day thread openers. I really wouldn't be overly concerned Newquay-Red.

At least someone got the joke.

2 minutes ago, CodeRed said:

Not sure if it's you being amusing now and  sending me up ?

I mean - I dropped in at the pub last night and everybody was drinking - amazing!.........then on to a restaurant where each and every person in there was eating.  - now what are the chances of that?         Had to point that out or you'd never believe it

Almost as unlikely as the Family stand at a sports event being full of parents with kids

Whats that? Your last 'joke' bombed? That's alright, I'm sure we'd love another cynical comment maybe you'll squeeze that one past the goalkeeper.

But in more serious terms, my argument does have legitimacy and you trying to trivialise it like this is getting increasingly tiresome. I know you want to claim it's an obvious point, but I wasn't exactly aiming for some mind-bending theory in the first place, just a positive comment on what was a really fun day for me.
It's an area of interest for me because my nephew will soon approach the age when my brother and I will take him to his first City game. They live in Swansea, so we have a lot of work to do to try and get him into the joys of championship mediocrity as opposed to PL football. The old 'family stand' still had an uneasy crossover with fans who would sing chants that probably aren't appropriate for our little ones just yet, yet in the SS it's reassuring to know that when that big day comes we can take the lad somewhere where he can digest what is going on in an appropriate environment; even in the more likely event he chooses to ditch us and join the Jack Army!

We have had a young friend of the family in tow this season. he had never seen a live game before coming down. At the beginning of the season he was all about the Prem, "I support Arsenal"  and strangely asking me which team I supported, like I couldn't really support a team outside of the Premier League.:blink: Now he is wearing a city away shirt with Kodjia on the back and was as excited as the rest of us at Saturdays result.

There is a lot of peer pressure on him back in school (he lives in Burnham) to talk about and support Premiership teams, but it's looking like he is starting to become a fan despite that. :) 

1 minute ago, CodeRed said:

Ok Ok, I promise not to take the piss .....if you promise not to post another essay.

Needed a triple espresso to wake myself up after the last one

Large walls of text and words over three syllables a bit too difficult for you hey? I bet you're one of those people who say they go to the 'University of Life'.

3 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

Large walls of text and words over three syllables a bit too difficult for you hey? I bet you're one of those people who say they go to the 'University of Life'.

Well I've never seen him there,and I've been going for years.

3 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

Blimey Newquay, you seem desperate for a row with someone WTGR. Cool down mate, we're all City after all.

3 minutes ago, ciderup said:

Blimey Newquay, you seem desperate for a row with someone WTGR. Cool down mate, we're all City after all.

It's a good point, but in his defence he was just reacting to the insult aimed at him; but maybe if you post on a forum we all should ignore a lot of the crud that can be written in reply...................if only it was that easy sometimes ;)

11 minutes ago, Newquay-Red said:

I was simply responding to anything said. I hope my bickering hasn't diluted or spoilt my original point!

Not at all but you will need a thicker skin to be a regular on here. No offence intended. It seems to be a tad 'brutal' on these forums at times.

City's fan base definetly consists of the older generation due to our success in the 70s.

Its a good point to bring up as we we will have a 27000 capacity stadium to fill next year. The club should be doing there best to get supporters in.

Some say we're a sleeping giant but we need to back that up and fill the ground.

27 minutes ago, Griffin said:

I love the Atyeo, the abuse is great for the atmosphere!

One of my favourites is..

"You're singing now, I don't know why, cus after the game, you're gonna die!"

and of course you can't forget the simple..

"You're going in the river!"

The old retro chants are fun, of course in the old days that was less of a threat, more of a promise......

17 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

. Perhaps I need to go back there after a 4-0 drubbing for a truly balanced study, but I hope the team produce performances that will keep the next generation of City supporters asking their parents if they can come back to AG.

Let's hope you never get the chance to finish your study then.

Archived