IGNORED

Love away days...home from match.

cityexile

Good away win!

Funny first half really. I thought we looked very comfortable, without creating very much really, half chances at best. Can see how MK have picked up points - well orgainsed and niggly at the back, hard to play through. Had very little going forward. A ref as ever who seemed to be watching another game. 

However, if you are set up that way, the one thing you do not do is give away a silly goal, which they managed just before half time. Second half MK had more of a go, but we still looked dangerous, Kodjia gets a one on one and finishes very well I thought. Good times. Vyner had a poorer second half, but played his part in a clean sheet. Flint must have got very close to giving away a penalty, would want to see it again.

Thought MK in fairness to them kept going, and the stats maybe do not show a couple of scary moments they had. Not a great team, but seem to be making the best of what they have. The first goal was key, and can see how they grind out results. Equally, one of the big changes in the way we play is continuing to push rather than just sit back when up, and could easily and maybe should have had a third.

Maynard was given a hard time, great fun, apparently his daughter is Bristolian. Equally had explained to my daughter who I dragged down about our ex players, who then gave a big 'boo' when JETs name was read out and got some odd looks from the City fans around us. Apologies, do not think she quite got in!

Big big season saving run we are how on. Four more wins and a couple of draws I reckon!

PS, safe trip to all of those with a little further to travel.

As an aside, last three games, Charlton, Ipswich, MK.

First time round, nine points turned in to three by sitting to deep with knackered players late late on, in all three games.

This time, kept nine points through a much more balanced approach. Three draws on a row turned in to wins. Big big difference.

15 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Good away win!

Funny first half really. I thought we looked very comfortable, without creating very much really, half chances at best. Can see how MK have picked up points - well orgainsed and niggly at the back, hard to play through. Had very little going forward. A ref as ever who seemed to be watching another game. 

However, if you are set up that way, the one thing you do not do is give away a silly goal, which they managed just before half time. Second half MK had more of a go, but we still looked dangerous, Kodjia gets a one on one and finishes very well I thought. Good times. Vyner had a poorer second half, but played his part in a clean sheet. Flint must have got very close to giving away a penalty, would want to see it again.

Thought MK in fairness to them kept going, and the stats maybe do not show a couple of scary moments they had. Not a great team, but seem to be making the best of what they have. The first goal was key, and can see how they grind out results. Equally, one of the big changes in the way we play is continuing to push rather than just sit back when up, and could easily and maybe should have had a third.

Maynard was given a hard time, great fun, apparently his daughter is Bristolian. Equally had explained to my daughter who I dragged down about our ex players, who then gave a big 'boo' when JETs name was read out and got some odd looks from the City fans around us. Apologies, do not think she quite got in!

Big big season saving run we are how on. Four more wins and a couple of draws I reckon!

PS, safe trip to all of those with a little further to travel.

Back home as well (trudge back to CMK).

I was in the MK end and their fans thought ref was giving everything our way first half (in fairness thought Tomlin lucky not to be booked for persistent fouling). Think he evened things up thereafter, but wrong most of the time in both directions.

Not sure which Flint one you mean, but if bottom left hand corner (from City fans) 2nd half, don't think it was, MK player fell over (not a dive, just a coming together).

Agree re Vyner, overall really good, but a few bits and bobs to work on that he probably gets away with normally because too good. 

Other three at the back and O'Donnell pretty rock solid.

Smith definitely getting into much more advanced positions recently, Pack solid.

Freeman didn't do much early on, but got into the game as it went on.

Kodjia looked leggy from after approx 10 mins, but kept harrying them and first goal was clearly massive for him. 

Tomlin often seemed to be a bit peripheral, but quality obvious for first goal and generally did sensible things with the ball.

Bryan looked much better, benefiting from having Golbourne behind him and great ball for the second (think it was Bryan)

MK pretty poor, not sure where their midfield was and created very little. But our pressing game makes a big difference and totally agree with comments about substitutes, well timed and allows Wilbs and Agard to run themselves into the ground for 20 minutes.

Finally, decent noise throughout from City throughout, thought MK okay but gave up after second goal.

4 minutes ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

Back home as well (trudge back to CMK).

I was in the MK end and their fans thought ref was giving everything our way first half (in fairness thought Tomlin lucky not to be booked for persistent fouling). Think he evened things up thereafter, but wrong most of the time in both directions.

Not sure which Flint one you mean, but if bottom left hand corner (from City fans) 2nd half, don't think it was, MK player fell over (not a dive, just a coming together).

Agree re Vyner, overall really good, but a few bits and bobs to work on that he probably gets away with normally because too good. 

Other three at the back and O'Donnell pretty rock solid.

Smith definitely getting into much more advanced positions recently, Pack solid.

Freeman didn't do much early on, but got into the game as it went on.

Kodjia looked leggy from after approx 10 mins, but kept harrying them and first goal was clearly massive for him. 

Tomlin often seemed to be a bit peripheral, but quality obvious for first goal and generally did sensible things with the ball.

Bryan looked much better, benefiting from having Golbourne behind him and great ball for the second (think it was Bryan)

MK pretty poor, not sure where their midfield was and created very little. But our pressing game makes a big difference and totally agree with comments about substitutes, well timed and allows Wilbs and Agard to run themselves into the ground for 20 minutes.

Finally, decent noise throughout from City throughout, thought MK okay but gave up after second goal.

Thanks for the clarification, yep, was the Flint one you mentioned. Far from a clear view, you obviously had a better one.

MK were not ok. Awful atmosphere. If that is Winklemans dream then i'd hate his nightmares. Soulless and soundless. Not even sure their fans know what football is. Watching Two women arguing in the car park afterwards over a near car crash showed more fight than their players and fans!!

thats yet another easily earned victory for us. Very very solid looking now. 10 points for safety. 44 will be plenty i reckon. None of thebottom 3 are getting near 44 IMO. 

Saying with friends for the weekend so I've just got back from Stadium MK too.

I thought that MK were abject from start to end. We pressed them high up the pitch in a very high energy performance. MK panicked under pressure and constantly over hit balls into touch. They didn't manage a single shot at goal which speaks volumes of the defence in which Flint was a rock. MK constantly played balls up thought the middle where Flinty headed everything clear, never losing a ball all afternoon.

had an impressive debut; in the first half, he misplaced just two passes with little impact other than which, he looked very calm and composed on the ball.; in the second half he got caught on the wrong sided of the attacker a couple of times allowing them to progress up the left wing towards the penalty area but the defence covered for him admirably. By er clearly has a very good future and I was pleased for him and for LLJ who had the balls to throw him tino the team.

Bryan was my choice for motm for his industry, anticipation, strength in the air and for his sublime interception and pass to Kodjia for his very well-taken second goal.

Listened to 3CR on the way back and a number of callers complaining of the performance by "Jumbo Jet". It's clear that they haven't warmed to him. In his interview, Karl Robinson refused to give City any credit for the win, claiming that both teams served up very poor fayre. That wasn't my view. MKD were right down there with Charlton as the worst teams I've had the misfortune to watch this season but City went there with a plan and every one of them stuck to their role, closed down quickly, won the ball back quickly and then broke at speed and in numbers. On another day, 0-2 could have been 0-4. Having said that, had MKD played until midnight they would have failed to score.

We should all feel proud of our team and it's back room staff today for a vital win in a crucial game.

6 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

Saying with friends for the weekend so I've just got back from Stadium MK too.

I thought that MK were abject from start to end. We pressed them high up the pitch in a very high energy performance. MK panicked under pressure and constantly over hit balls into touch. They didn't manage a single shot at goal which speaks volumes of the defence in which Flint was a rock. MK constantly played balls up thought the middle where Flinty headed everything clear, never losing a ball all afternoon.

had an impressive debut; in the first half, he misplaced just two passes with little impact other than which, he looked very calm and composed on the ball.; in the second half he got caught on the wrong sided of the attacker a couple of times allowing them to progress up the left wing towards the penalty area but the defence covered for him admirably. By er clearly has a very good future and I was pleased for him and for LLJ who had the balls to throw him tino the team.

Bryan was my choice for motm for his industry, anticipation, strength in the air and for his sublime interception and pass to Kodjia for his very well-taken second goal.

Listened to 3CR on the way back and a number of callers complaining of the performance by "Jumbo Jet". It's clear that they haven't warmed to him. In his interview, Karl Robinson refused to give City any credit for the win, claiming that both teams served up very poor fayre. That wasn't my view. MKD were right down there with Charlton as the worst teams I've had the misfortune to watch this season but City went there with a plan and every one of them stuck to their role, closed down quickly, won the ball back quickly and then broke at speed and in numbers. On another day, 0-2 could have been 0-4. Having said that, had MKD played until midnight they would have failed to score.

We should all feel proud of our team and it's back room staff today for a vital win in a crucial game.

Interesting comments on JET. We all know he is a big unit, but have to say he looked a few dozen pies off match fit. 

First game of the season for me, blame a run of injuries and illness (for me!)

As others have said, MK looked poor and despite the potential attacking threat of JET and Maynard, didn't offer very much.  Also didn't seem to make use of a nasty swirling wind in the first half, which City did take advantage of.

City's first was the sole highlight of a poor first half which we shaded, really shambolic play by MK who basically gifted City the ball, but a lovely cross and neat finish.

The second was a lovely goal, great through ball (wind assisted?) but Kodjia finished very tidily.  MK clearly deflated after that, we hit the post later on and also should have had another but Bryan did a baby giraffe impression!  MK keeper clearly crocked at end - pulled muscle?  With no subs had we floated in a cross he'd have been fduged.

Back 5 solid, Flint immense, apart from the possible penalty shout towards the end (I've seen them given).  Central midfield very solid.  Joe Bryan excellent, Freeman a bit hit and miss.  How they gave MoM to their LB is beyond me!  MK poor throughout the team, you could tell what a difference Dele Alli made to them (mind you, he is utter gold-plated class).

One final note, I was talking with my 10 year old daughter prior to the match about how football has improved and how little trouble there is now, and I thought it really positive that we had a ref with a disability (no, not eyesight!) and a black linesman but there was nothing said about it.  How things have changed for the better in the 30+ years I've been watching!

COYR!

2 hours ago, cityexile said:

As an aside, last three games, Charlton, Ipswich, MK.

First time round, nine points turned in to three by sitting to deep with knackered players late late on, in all three games.

This time, kept nine points through a much more balanced approach. Three draws on a row turned in to wins. Big big difference.

Very good point (no pun) :D

Just got back myself, must be one of the last ones back - stopped to see wife's family in MK.

Great awayday - Very comfortable win and the City players were great after the match signing autographs for my 12 y/o daughter. She thinks we should sing 'Your son's Bristolian' to my Mum when we see her tomorrow! Loved 'Right side, give us a Song' v 'Left side give us a song'.  Well done City fans - good numbers and good noise.

Archived