IGNORED

Cardiff highlights - empty seats

samo II

Was watching the highlights of the Cardiff game against Brighton this morning in order to see how our next opponents fared, and kept getting distracted by the rows upon rows upon rows of empty seats, making it at times and from some angles look as if they were playing a behind-closed-doors match.

Cardiff actually played quite well, and Brighton's defence was shambolic (good news for us), but unbelievable how few fans were there.

Official attendance  14,143  but actually less than 10k according to their fans.  They regularly get many less than the quoted figures.

Add to that the extended stand which gives them a 33k capacity but is closed due to lack of demand and it is going to look a bit empty.

Mind you,it was raining so much yesterday it was tempting to stay indoors.:badmood:

Do we think Brighton will be stung into action for Tuesday?

16 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

No doubt at all.  

The positive to take from the highlights I saw is they looked very disorganised at the back, but think it is more of a bad day in the office than a constant, so will be hard work. 

2 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

We do.. it will not be 4-1

Agreed.

Another case of keep it tight and see what we can get from there.

20 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

Official attendance  14,143  but actually less than 10k according to their fans.  They regularly get many less than the quoted figures.

Add to that the extended stand which gives them a 33k capacity but is closed due to lack of demand and it is going to look a bit empty.

Mind you,it was raining so much yesterday it was tempting to stay indoors.:badmood:

I assume they incease the attendance so they can pay more tax, no it doesnt make sense. What's the benefit in over exagerating your attendance figures?

I should imagine the top tier of the Williams will remain shut most of next season so i dont think we can mock them just yet.

8 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I assume they incease the attendance so they can pay more tax, no it doesnt make sense. What's the benefit in over exagerating your attendance figures?

I should imagine the top tier of the Williams will remain shut most of next season so i dont think we can mock them just yet.

To be fair; a top tier being empty is a bit different than what I was watching there - once watched highlight of a European match played behind closed doors and reminded me of that.

I'm not crowing, just shocked.

15 minutes ago, Pezo said:

They make losses so they don't pay tax. As for why might they inflate attendance figures, sponsorship is easier to sell. 

44 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I believe they include a lot of season ticket holders in the total, regardless of whether they attend. As many season tickets have been sold on multiple season deals there are probably many glory hunters included.

37 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Definitely remember seeing those sort of figures. Maybe not all the time, but I don't think they have the solid core of support that we have.....I think we are too self critical sometimes.

For sure they have never had the averages City have. They are, let us not forget, essentially a franchise club parading as Cardiff so it will take them decades to build the true core support of a proper club if they ever will; right now it simply is not in their DNA. I say that with no hint of sarcasm whatsoever.

31 minutes ago, BobbyC said:

12 years ago it was said they could be bigger than Barca and now they're a bit bigger than Barking.

I am glad you used Barking; madness to think they could ever sustain a top flight team.

8 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

For sure they have never had the averages City have. They are, let us not forget, essentially a franchise club parading as Cardiff so it will take them decades to build the true core support of a proper club if they ever will; right now it simply is not in their DNA. I say that with no hint of sarcasm whatsoever.

I am glad you used Barking; madness to think they could ever sustain a top flight team.

Surely more Barmouth?

22 minutes ago, Cider red said:

In their last season at Tinnion park they regularly got 8k crowds in the championship. Now the new stadium has worn off they are back to their 'core' support.

Sorry, but that's utter bollocks. Stop making up statistics just to support your argument. They averaged 18,000 in their final season at Ninian.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008–09_Cardiff_City_F.C._season

7 minutes ago, Cider red said:

In their last season at Tinnion park they regularly got 8k crowds in the championship. Now the new stadium has worn off they are back to their 'core' support.

Not quite true - their last season there saw a 19k sell out almost every week on the back of them selling season tickets in order to get cup final tickets. 

The last time they got 8k for a home league match was against Ipswich in 2005. I know this because I regularly argue the attendance toss with a Cardiff fan....

The mixture of Tan's strange regime and a set of supporters not known for their loyalty are the reason that their recent attendances have dropped so drastically in recent times 

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Sorry, but that's utter bollocks. Stop making up statistics. They averaged 18,000 in their final season at Ninian.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008–09_Cardiff_City_F.C._season

You should know by now, Chippenham R,  that 72.7% of all statistics on OTIB are made up. Fact.

1 minute ago, Iron Man said:

Yet their still having a half decent season and by the looks of their highlights against Brighton got some very good players. Their club is literally dying on it's arse and I do feel sorry for them as we've had some great tussles with them over the years

Bloody hilarious, eh?

At the end of the day they can still attract good players to their club, have been in the Premier League, played in two cup finals and have a realistic chance of making the play offs regardless of how nutty their ownership appears. And their academy have churned out better players than we can.

I'd take some of their recent history over ours any day.

10 minutes ago, Loderingo said:

Their average for the season is 14,492 vs. 15,098 for us.  The red shirts saga didn't hurt them in the Prem but  has caught up with them now.

Seeing as they are not far from the playoffs and we've been bottom five all season in a ground that currently is only three sided that tells you all you need to know.

13 minutes ago, Iron Man said:

Yet their still having a half decent season and by the looks of their highlights against Brighton got some very good players. Their club is literally dying on it's arse and I do feel sorry for them as we've had some great tussles with them over the years

I don't feel sorry for them at all. They embraced Tan and his rebrand when they were on the way up and only opposed his regime in meaningful numbers when they were on the way down.

You reap what you sow.

Archived