IGNORED

Bristol Boys

ChubStixx

The result on Saturday was fantastic; but what was special for me was seeing four Bristol boys in the same match day squad.

Bobby Reid. Scott Golbourne. Joe Bryan. Zak Vyner.

I think what's great about our fans is that we really get behind our local lads and desperately want them to succeed.

How many local lads do people remember having in one match day squad??

Proud of all of the boys in their efforts in trying to turn this around. COYR! 

The last time that springs to might would have been (without looking it up, so could be wrong) didn't we have Phillips, Hill, Coles, Doherty, Burnell, Brown, Amankwah all in the same team at the same time? All Bristol (or thereabouts) boys..?

12 minutes ago, ChubStixx said:

The result on Saturday was fantastic; but what was special for me was seeing four Bristol boys in the same match day squad.

Bobby Reid. Scott Golbourne. Joe Bryan. Zak Vyner.

I think what's great about our fans is that we really get behind our local lads and desperately want them to succeed.

How many local lads do people remember having in one match day squad??

Proud of all of the boys in their efforts in trying to turn this around. COYR! 

Under Danny Wilson we had a lot of local guys in the squad...Danny Coles, Louis Carey, Marvin Brown, Aaron Brown, Matt Hill, Steve Phillips, Joe Burnell, Tommy Doherty...off the top of my head...

3 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

The last time that springs to might would have been (without looking it up, so could be wrong) didn't we have Phillips, Hill, Coles, Doherty, Burnell, Brown, Amankwah all in the same team at the same time? All Bristol (or thereabouts) boys..?

My God, how did I forget Carey!! Sorry Louis! 

15 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Fulham at home 1982, first game after we were saved from extinction and obviously 8 players light. If I remember correctly we had about 7 local lads in the team.

Paul Stevens,Russell Musker, Rob Newman, Ricky Chandler, Jon Economou, Gary Williams, Wayne Bray.

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I actually loved watching us under Danny, two third place finishes and lots of local lads. Still hated that horrible day in Cardiff against Brighton though....

Absolutely. Great team to watch and largely local as mentioned above. SO unprofessional though. 

I remember many nights out on the piss in town with the players and the Cardiff final was one of the most soul destroying let downs I've experienced and rightly cost Wilson his job. 

22 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I thought he might have been but he was from our accadamy. 

Next you'll be telling me that Scott Murray wasn't born in Bedminster!

Amankwah was from Academy, because I played against him in a summer tournament where City and Rovers put in young sides.  We beat Rovers on penalties in the semi (notched one of them), a team with Lewis Hogg in it.  We then played City in the final, and Amankwah marked me.  Thought I'd be able to use a bit of strength (weight!!!) against him, but he was very strong for a youngster.  Odejayi scored, who went on to play for Barnsley, scoring in a victory over Chelsea.  Lost 5-1, having gone 1-0 up.

Some great local lads in the Danny Wilson squad, however I respectfully give you...

Cashley, Merrick, Collier, Rodgers, Tainton, Fear, Garland, Cheesley. Add in Mabbutt and Pritchard. I know they didn't all feature in the same side at the same time, but nonetheless, what a fabulous squad of Bristolian talent we had back then, 

26 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

Some great local lads in the Danny Wilson squad, however I respectfully give you...

Cashley, Merrick, Collier, Rodgers, Tainton, Fear, Garland, Cheesley. Add in Mabbutt and Pritchard. I know they didn't all feature in the same side at the same time, but nonetheless, what a fabulous squad of Bristolian talent we had back then, 

Pritchard is Welsh!

13 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I remember some clueless git asking for the entire academy to be scrapped a month or two back 

Ah, you called? Actually, it was last month, probably the month before that and if I remember correctly about every year since its been established. 

At a guess, a conservative estimate at that, probably spent somewhere in the region of £10 million over the last 15 years on The Academy. Looks like Reid and Burns are on their ways at the end of the season. Vast majority of 'graduates' playing lower league amateur. Any youngster with the slightest potential creamed off by Cat 1 Clubs. 

So, value for money in the past? Nah. Money better spent on a decent scouting set up and buying in 'winners and fighters' from lower league clubs? Yeah.

Maybe though, just maybe, after many long and painful years The Academy has turned the corner and will now prove itself a worthwhile investment. Hope so. Truly do.  

Should think SL's patience in burning £50 notes on The Academy must have been getting severely tested so it owes him big time. Maybe now, belatedly, pay back time. Let's hope so. 

1 hour ago, City Rocker said:

Add Peter Spiring.Gerry Sharpe,Ray Savino,Brian Clarke.

Were they all Bristol boys? Bart?

We didn't have much luck in those days.

Alan Nicholls and Russell Musker were very promising players, both having become regulars in the first team before they were 20, but both suffering badly broken legs (Musker at Swindon iirc.)

Both departed AG as 21 year olds. Nicholls was forced to retire after making 76 appearances, and Musker was never the same again and moved on to Gillingham for a small fee after making 58 apps.

Archived