IGNORED

"FC Business" magazine article on Bristol Sport

ChippenhamRed

6 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Interview with Andrew Billingham - an interesting read (from page 61 onwards)....

https://cloud.3dissue.com/6374/7271/131371/FCBUSINESS91/index.html

A well-worn topic I know, but the philosophy of Bristol Sport makes sense to me as described in this article.  Something to embrace rather than fear, in my opinion.

I agree. 

But let's be honest with ourselves. MA isn't exactly going to spill the beans on the negatives in an article like this is he? I'm not sure what the other side to the debate is, but if you were to only listen to MA then you'd get a very one sided view. 

13 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I agree. 

But let's be honest with ourselves. MA isn't exactly going to spill the beans on the negatives in an article like this is he? I'm not sure what the other side to the debate is, but if you were to only listen to MA then you'd get a very one sided view. 

Of course.  But the only negatives I hear tend to be accusations about a loss of identity, which I just don't subscribe to at all.  Everything in the article makes sense to me.

I'm still to be convinced that it's a good thing, and as a non Bristolian I couldn't care less about the other parts of BS. In the back of my mind I can still see the rugby club being the main toy in a year or two, and that worries me

I guess we won't know how it's going to pan out for another 5 to 10 years, so I'm hoping that I'm wrong and I'll gladly eat some humble pie as and when required to do so

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

I'm still to be convinced that it's a good thing, and as a non Bristolian I couldn't care less about the other parts of BS. In the back of my mind I can still see the rugby club being the main toy in a year or two, and that worries me

I guess we won't know how it's going to pan out for another 5 to 10 years, so I'm hoping that I'm wrong and I'll gladly eat some humble pie as and when required to do so

To me I'm only interested in Bristol City too, not interested in any of the other sports being "tagged on"

Of course we have every right as City fans to be cautious, as it states in the article this has not been done in the UK before so who knows how it will work

To me if it was "that" successful and pioneering why would we be the first in this country to use this business model?

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

To me I'm only interested in Bristol City too, not interested in any of the other sports being "tagged on"

Of course we have every right as City fans to be cautious, as it states in the article this has not been done in the UK before so who knows how it will work

To me if it was "that" successful and pioneering why would we be the first in this country to use this business model?

Because if someone else had done it already it wouldn't be pioneering?!?  Just because we're the first to do it doesn't mean it's a bad idea.  It has every chance of being a success and lets be honest, Barca isn't a bad role model for us to look at, really.

4 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

I just don't get this suggestion that the rugby will become the main priority.  It will never get crowds like a successful football team would, or indeed ever generate the same revenue.  Bristol Rugby averaged less than 10k when the were last in the Premiership. 

I also don't understand why that might be the case "in a year or two" if it isn't now.  Just how much more money does Lansdown have to pour into the football team to convince us he is serious?!

6 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I just don't get this suggestion that the rugby will become the main priority.  It will never get crowds like a successful football team would, or indeed ever generate the same revenue.  Bristol Rugby averaged less than 10k when the were last in the Premiership. 

I also don't understand why that might be the case "in a year or two" if it isn't now.  Just how much more money does Lansdown have to pour into the football team to convince us he is serious?!

I'm sure I read somewhere, although other posters have claimed otherwise, that SL was more of a rugby man than football, and JL dragged him along. Whilst I agree you can't make the same amount of money in rugby you can still operate a club at the top end and make money, not lose it, like he does with City

As for the 'pouring of money' - I understand all of that, but at some point he will have to walk away, for his own sanity. No matter how much money he has got, football is a bottomless pit, unless you crack the big time (see the other thread about Barca and their EPL whinges / wildcard claims)

12 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

I'm sure I read somewhere, although other posters have claimed otherwise, that SL was more of a rugby man than football, and JL dragged him along. 

SL himself has claimed otherwise in a recent interview. He made it quite clear he has always been a football man, and that while he's into the rugby, he doesn't really understand it as he does football. 

That was the gist of it anyway, the implication being that City are his priority. I don't doubt this, personally. 

4 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

SL himself has claimed otherwise in a recent interview. He made it quite clear he has always been a football man, and that while he's into the rugby, he doesn't really understand it as he does football. 

That was the gist of it anyway, the implication being that City are his priority. I don't doubt this, personally. 

You must be the 5th or 6th person to correct me, Rocker, I should maybe let go of this one!!

• Admin
52 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Because if someone else had done it already it wouldn't be pioneering?!?  Just because we're the first to do it doesn't mean it's a bad idea.  It has every chance of being a success and lets be honest, Barca isn't a bad role model for us to look at, really.

Indeed a valid point - but just think what the reaction would be if a third tiered side in Spain suddenly started talking about following the business model of Manchester Utd - they'd get laughed at !

Like above I'm only concerned with the football and have no interest in any of the other sports - whether we get anything out of it that we wouldn't have done if the same time and money had been put into the football club only time will tell

52 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

I'm sure I read somewhere, although other posters have claimed otherwise, that SL was more of a rugby man than football, and JL dragged him along. Whilst I agree you can't make the same amount of money in rugby you can still operate a club at the top end and make money, not lose it, like he does with City.

I'm not sure if that's true. Not on any insider information, but SL could have saved a lot of blood, sweat, tears and money investing in the rugby club sooner - especially when they were in the Premiership - than he has in his years at City. He wasn't even an investor in Bristol Rugby until a couple of years before he took over, whereas he's been coming to City for years and been on the board for comfortably more than a decade.

1 minute ago, phantom said:

Indeed a valid point - but just think what the reaction would be if a third tiered side in Spain suddenly started talking about following the business model of Manchester Utd - they'd get laughed at !

Like above I'm only concerned with the football and have no interest in any of the other sports - whether we get anything out of it that we wouldn't have done if the same time and money had been put into the football club only time will tell

But then third tier in Spain is like sixth tier here, so not a fair comparison.  We're a medium sized club in a big City and so whilst not trying to emulate Barcelona (because, as you suggest, that would be ridiculous) aiming to take their lead in a business model which could ultimate benefit the football club and improve interest in sport in general in the region is not laughable.  In my opinion.

I also have no interest in the other sports (tried to get into Rugby several times, but failed miserably each time), but I can see where the shared costs of improved facilities and staff could have benefits, not to mention picking up some fans along the way.  No doubt some of the rugby club's fans have taken an interest just like some of ours have gone the other way.  With the exception of the pitch, which for some reason has struggled a little this season, I cannot think of any way in which we have been negatively affected by the advent of Bristol Sport.

We retain our identity, we remain in our ground (who give a monkeys who owns it?  We weren't owners of the ground per se for long before Bristol Sport came about), and the shared costs mean that the clubs outgoings are less, meaning that we can afford to put a little more in and not fall foul of FFP.  Add to that the fact that the more invested he is, the harder it becomes for SL to walk away, thereby safeguarding our financial future.  I would suggest that so far, only good has come from it so far in my eyes. 

53 minutes ago, City Rocker said:

My old man played football with him a few times.

SL loves his football don't worry about that.

1 hour ago, Steve Watts said:

A quick cursory look at Barcelona will inform people that Bristol Sport is not following that model. Not even close.

10 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Lando Norris seems to be doing ok though, just finished up winning a championship in New Zealand.

True, he seems a real prospect.

I hadn't realised there was anyone else, you prompted me to look.  Although looking at the BS website and Lando Norris' own website it is unclear what the connection is.  On his website BS are listed as a "Partner", which I assume BS are a subsidiary sponsor.

2 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

True, he seems a real prospect.

I hadn't realised there was anyone else, you prompted me to look.  Although looking at the BS website and Lando Norris' own website it is unclear what the connection is.  On his website BS are listed as a "Partner", which I assume BS are a subsidiary sponsor.

Yeah, it's clearly a bit of a different model from other sports. And not sure Bristol Sport Racing is big enough to enter as its own team in championships. Lando does seem to have something about him for sure though.

1 hour ago, Woodsy said:

You must be the 5th or 6th person to correct me, Rocker, I should maybe let go of this one!!

Wait until there are 10 people correcting you and then suggest it is a conspiracy.  That's my approach when I'm right.

2 hours ago, City Rocker said:

Exactly this. He's explained it more than once especially at length on the four part interview in Botswana . His exact words were " Bristol city will always be called Bristol city and will be the priority and Ashton gate will always be home "

2 hours ago, Drew Peacock said:

The only one I don't get is Zamparelli.

Pretty average racing driver, fairly invisible in the motor sport press and doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

To be fair, with motor racing held on circuits, the whole idea is not to be going anywhere. Driving straight on is usually disastrous. And painful.

I am a believer.  I have said many times the benefits to S Bristol include, increased revenue for local business due to a constant roll of events, a train station for local people, better access, a state of the art stadium, a new sports bar binding people closer to all the clubs, increased revenue and a higher profile. The synergies created by combining ticketing and facilities will help to cross support all the teams financially and the newer bigger stadium will in of itself attract larger attendances, at least for the medium term. (Providing we stay up)

we sell out every week at around 15500. It is likely next season attendances will increase, particularly now the bickering between staff, board and major shareholder has been put to bed at the FC. FINGERS crossed for Bristol rugby this season that they finally don't f U.K. It up again and get promoted which again will add to the revenues with bigger crowds and tv money. 

I have supported this club my entire life and I am well into my 50s now and I have a good feeling about this and the business case for it. Bristol City is my passion the stadium and the profile, revenue and the sundry benefits are gravy, but good gravy!

3 hours ago, Drew Peacock said:

The only one I don't get is Zamparelli.

Pretty average racing driver, fairly invisible in the motor sport press and doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

He's in GP3 to be fair, that's pretty damn high up. F1 has a huge career ladder of various formulae (not unlike football with its many divisions) if you're not a Hamilton or a Verstappen.

Archived