IGNORED

WiFi trial in South Stand

Red Necromancer

Bristol City fans are being given the chance to trial a free supporter WiFi service in the South Stand at Ashton Gate tonight.

Bristol Sport has installed a proof-of-concept WiFi deployment and need supporters to test the service with a packed stadium for the home game with Brighton & Hove Albion.

Fans simply need to search “Ashton Gate Fan WiFi” on their mobile device or tablet and connect for free via a simple holding page.

Bristol Sport needs to understand the type of internet speeds available and the stability of the connection – whether it will stand up to a busy South Stand on a matchday.

I applaud the club for this, but I fear that it will be like every other 'public' internet service.  The sheer weight of numbers will render it pointless and no faster than 3G/4G (i.e. pretty much useless on matchday).  You can forget streaming BT sport before kickoff!

2 minutes ago, Collis1 said:

I don't understand this? Why would people need WiFi in a football stadium?!

Whats happening to the world...!

So they can, like, keep abreast of what their friends are, like, having for lunch via Facebook and Instagram.

Keep up.

8 minutes ago, Collis1 said:

I don't understand this? Why would people need WiFi in a football stadium?!

Whats happening to the world...!

Agreed.. pointless. We need ALL people watching the match and supporting the action or at least not encourage them to do something completely different.

2 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Agreed.. pointless. We need ALL people watching the match and supporting the action or at least not encourage them to do something completely different.

I agree with the sentiment however for me I struggle to get a signal in here and like to check half times, any messages I might have had etc at half time. 

Wifi is a welcome addition and useful  

Whilst the game is on the phones away. 

Also there's a bloke who sits in front of me in the South Stand and judging by what I've read on his phone from over his shoulder (completely accidentally, of course) he's having an affair.

If the internet connection is more predictable, there's less chance of me missing anything juicy.

7 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Because 3G and 4G are useless at half time when everyone's trying to use it! Even on EE 4G, trying to get the scores etc. to load is pointless!

Wow OK. I mean when im in Ashton Gate the last thing I want to do is check my phone for anything but each to their own.

5 minutes ago, The Gasbuster said:

It could be a godsend for anybody with young kids; as keeping youngsters focused on the game for 90 minutes can be sometimes "challenging".

There have been a couple of 5-3-2 games this season where I have had trouble keeping myself focused they have been that poor :-)

Can tell who the old uns are on here! I use my phone anyway before the game, at HT and then walking out. It's like an extra limb, would be lost without it. Mainly to see how my bets are getting on, tweet to Geoff after the game, read Twitter etc. So I'll give this a go tonight. You need WiFi where ever you go now. It's just standard, need to move with the times. Put it this way if I was going on holiday and the hotel didn't have WiFi I wouldn't chose that one. We need this 

2 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

I applaud the club for this, but I fear that it will be like every other 'public' internet service.  The sheer weight of numbers will render it pointless and no faster than 3G/4G (i.e. pretty much useless on matchday).  You can forget streaming BT sport before kickoff!

Actually with the way WiFi deployments have changed for stadiums if deployed correctly should be a very good service.

They probably want to turn the web interface off to the public shop range. Otherwise people like me will sit there trying to hack the password all day....

speeds not the greatest either

26ms response

1.83 down

1.82 up. 

Also I Can scan all devices on he network. 

Need to to up their security

decent amount of addresses available though so connecting to the lan shouldn't be a problem. 

19 minutes ago, USA_Reds said:

Actually with the way WiFi deployments have changed for stadiums if deployed correctly should be a very good service.

I agree things have moved on but, unless restricted or on a paid-for basis, I'm not sure I've seen a single deployment anywhere that can cope with such a demand for data which is still rocketing. 

Let's imagine it's free, over the weeks and months just about every device would eventually be connected - probably up to 10,000 of them. 

Technically it could be done but at a massive, prohibitive cost I would think. Unless the service is massively throttled. 

1 minute ago, CotswoldRed said:

I agree things have moved on but, unless restricted or on a paid-for basis, I'm not sure I've seen a single deployment anywhere that can cope with demand for data which is rocketing. 

Let's imagine it's free, over the weeks and months just about every device would eventually be connected - probably up to 10,000 of them. 

Bollox. I got a 100mb lease line that copes with 20,000 devices simultaneously. As long as you prioritise the traffic type then it's not problem. 

Archived