IGNORED

City fan

Coombsy

Aden Flint
Centre-back Aden Flint scored 14 league goals for Bristol City last season

Lee Johnson got off to a winning start as Bristol City boss as Aden Flint's double gave them victory over Ipswich.

The centre-back rose highest to head in off the post from Luke Freeman's pin-point corner to open the scoring.

It was 2-0 when, in similar fashion, Flint nodded in Freeman's delivery for his fourth league goal of the season.

Ex-Robin Brett Pitman scored for Ipswich with a low finish, but City held on for back-to-back wins and moved five points clear of the drop zone.

Johnson played for the Robins from 2006 to 2012 and will be delighted with his start after joining from League One side Barnsley on 6 February. 

The first half could have yielded more goals for the hosts as Ipswich goalkeeper Bartosz Bialkowski made an excellent one-handed reaction save from Korey Smith's deflected shot. 

Ipswich also had chances, with home goalkeeper Richard O'Donnell saving well from Daryl Murphy's six-yard header midway through the second half. 

The hosts nearly extended their lead but Bialkowski made a low finger-tip save from substitute Kieran Agard to keep it 2-1, before Tommy Smith's late drive flew wide. 

Bristol City manager Lee Johnson:

"There is still work to do, but it was a good start. A lot of what I saw really pleased me.

"We have some big lads to attack set-pieces and Luke Freeman's quality of delivery makes it easier for them.

"Aden Flint was brave with his headers. At half-time he told me he wanted to take a penalty if we got one - but I wouldn't have let him!

"The atmosphere created by the fans was tremendous and I really appreciated that. Now we have to maintain focus in and out of possession. If we do that we have the quality to hurt opponents."

Ipswich manager Mick McCarthy:

"We didn't defend the set-pieces well enough, but credit where it is due because the delivery and movement at the two corners was an example to any young players.

"Having gone behind, it was needs must and we switched back to 4-4-2, which I felt made us more effective.

"Brett Pitman wants more starts and he made us better when he came on. He doesn't like the tag of super-sub, but it was a great finish.

"We have been hit hard by injuries in midfield, which is not an excuse. I expect us to be challenging at the top of the table and can understand the fans' frustration."

Archived