IGNORED

the other lot ain't happy with local radio coverage

Never to the dark side

Okay  normally the away Bristol club gets the 94:9FM frequencey which HAS  to be the freeview game on the telly

radio caller said he was unhappy that City had the 94:9 frequencey and he could not listen to the Dark sides game

In my opinion the caller must live a fair way outside of the Bristol aerial not to be able to pick up Radio Bristol as their game

was on DAB in the Bristol aerial

Simple stats are: 7,000 at the dark sides home games and 14,000 at City home games MAJORITY WINS, ITS THAT SIMPLE.

36 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

Okay  normally the away Bristol club gets the 94:9FM frequencey which HAS  to be the freeview game on the telly

radio caller said he was unhappy that City had the 94:9 frequencey and he could not listen to the Dark sides game

In my opinion the caller must live a fair way outside of the Bristol aerial not to be able to pick up Radio Bristol as their game

Simple stats are: 7,000 at the dark sides home games and 14,000 at City home games MAJORITY WINS, ITS THAT SIMPLE.

The other frequency for home matches is 95.50, but since they have scrapped MW, that is impossible for me to pull in any home commentary, I get good FM but nothing on DAB, you would think with digital I could get it anywhere, we are so behind other countries in this respect, but BT do tell us what a superb job they do...No They Don't, that's why they have been told to open up their infrastructure to other operators.    

53 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

No presenter didn't say that.now MW is gone and if and when both Bristol teams are away we have to take it in turns to be on 94.9FM.I like others haven't got DAB

1 hour ago, Never to the dark side said:

Probably in Raqqa.

People will always call in to moan.  The away Bristol club gets the best frequency, simple as.

I liked the featuring of Bristol Manor Farm yesterday, they've been on a cup run.  They also heavily featured Mangotsfield a few years back when they had a cup run.

In all the years I've listened to Radio Bristol football in my opinion they make a huge point of not being biased to any club, they provide exceptionally good coverage and I've got other local radio stations to compare them against.  Having the evening dedicated slots is an amazing level of covering local football. Well done Geoff and the team.

6 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Having the evening dedicated slots is an amazing level of covering local football. Well done Geoff and the team.

Yep, taking his playing career aside, Twentyman deserves a lot of credit for his work at Radio Bristol. A very good broadcaster. 

However, Geoff's quest needs to be locked in room 101.

5 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

Lets be honest DAB is pretty rubbish and with the eventual demise of traditional radio frequencies BBC local radio is going to have to find a way to broadcast football commentary online within its geographical area.

It should all be broadcast online anway.  The money in football rights is in watching it, not listening to it.

I don't expect the figure to be released but I wonder what the club makes from Player after all costs are deducted.  Not enough to make it worth bothering would be my guess.

17 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

It should all be broadcast online anyway.  The money in football rights is in watching it, not listening to it.

I don't expect the figure to be released but I wonder what the club makes from Player after all costs are deducted.  Not enough to make it worth bothering would be my guess.

I would guess that there are probably a couple of thousand Player subscribers for City, but the contract would be across the whole league, so extend that to all 72 clubs and give them a few extra to be generous and that would give you 200,000 subscribers in total. A fiver a month would mean income of £12million a year. I wouldn't imagine any more than 50% would go to the clubs, so £6million / 72 = £83K per team per year. Not exactly a lot but better than a kick in the teeth. Those figures are extremely generous in my eyes so it's probably nowhere near that.

4 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I would guess that there are probably a couple of thousand Player subscribers for City, but the contract would be across the whole league, so extend that to all 72 clubs and give them a few extra to be generous and that would give you 200,000 subscribers in total. A fiver a month would mean income of £12million a year. I wouldn't imagine any more than 50% would go to the clubs, so £6million / 72 = £83K per team per year. Not exactly a lot but better than a kick in the teeth. Those figures are extremely generous in my eyes so it's probably nowhere near that.

Fair play for having a go though Rich.

Taking your £83k, what then is the price of paying the commentators and transporting and setting up the equipment, as well as buying it in the first place so annual depreciation.  Say £40k?

So we're down to £43k before overheads, or 1.5% of Kodjia's transfer fee.

Seriously, sell the rights to the local radio stations and be done with it.

1 hour ago, Cider red said:

Fiver a month and you can listen yo whatever commentary you like... People will moan about anything!

On the rare occasions when it works, that would be? I had player, but it is so incredibly unreliable that I gave up on it :( 

3 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Fair play for having a go though Rich.

Taking your £83k, what then is the price of paying the commentators and transporting and setting up the equipment, as well as buying it in the first place so annual depreciation.  Say £40k?

So we're down to £43k before overheads, or 1.5% of Kodjia's transfer fee.

Seriously, sell the rights to the local radio stations and be done with it.

It doesn't cost the club hardly anything as it's radio Bristol's commentators and equipment so they pick up all the costs. Ironically RB also have to pay the club for the right to broadcast the matches on the radio. Seems a bit odd! 

29 minutes ago, redmycolour said:

Yes but if you listened yesterday not allowed to broadcast live football on freeveiw TV on Saturdays according to broadcasting rights

I was actually on about radio on freeview bud even though the same rule applies I guess.

Ten minutes of rough:

95.5 frequency is used solely for Yeovil town.  If Yeovil town are not in action 95.5 is used for one of the Bristol clubs.

Red my colour:

a couple of  things its unusual for both Bristol teams to be away on the same day DAB is a very unstable format.

Freeview is allowed to be used for football commentaries and is not subject to internet blocking.

Bristol City's radio commentary against Notts forest was the game on freeview channel 719.

4 hours ago, Dynamite Red said:

Lets be honest DAB is pretty rubbish and with the eventual demise of traditional radio frequencies BBC local radio is going to have to find a way to broadcast football commentary online within its geographical area.

I do find it ridiculous that I`m around 30 miles as the crow flies from a point where I can get RB coverage (Tiverton is where it runs out) but can`t listen online due to `contractual issues`.

28 minutes ago, Never to the dark side said:

Red Right Hand

Could I make a suggestion to you.

If you get a new aerial for BBC West and get it  pointing towards the Mendip transmitter (50 miles away)

you should the transmissions from the west region  which should include radio Bristol

I watch/listen via Sky, laptop or a portable radio so don`t think that would work would it? If there is a way, I`d be grateful.

Archived