IGNORED

Nigel Clough , irony .

Major Isewater

49 minutes ago, sodburyred said:

They wouldn't be where they are now if he was in charge at the beginning of the season. Awful manager overrated manager.

They are a football league club due to him.  JFH got them into and to the top of League 1.  The credit for Burton's rise should be shared by them.  We'll see how JFH does at car crash QPR.  I suspect it will be a similar story to Clough at Derby, Sheff U etc.

Hasselbaink also inherited Rowett's squad in the first place, they're just a very well ran club that have made some good managerial appointments.

Also can't discredit Clough. SOD hasn't been able to keep Walsall as high up, at least not to the degree Clough has at Burton.

2 minutes ago, The Bard said:

They are a football league club due to him.  JFH got them into and to the top of League 1.  The credit for Burton's rise should be shared by them.  We'll see how JFH does at car crash QPR.  I suspect it will be a similar story to Clough at Derby, Sheff U etc.

could JFH claim for whiplash?

2 hours ago, sodburyred said:

They wouldn't be where they are now if he was in charge at the beginning of the season. Awful manager overrated manager.

Bit harsh, he took Burton from the Northern Premier League all the way up into the Football League, winning titles on the way.

As we've seen with Cotts, everyone has their level as a manager, so yes you can say X is an awful manager at X level, but to write someone off as 'awful' overall is a bit harsh when they've proved their ability as Nigel Clough certainly did. 

The fact Burton Albion is a football league pro-club is entirely down to him...

I think Gary Rowett is the main reason behind Burtons surge. He's done a pretty impressive job at Birmingham - surprised he's not getting more plaudits. 

10 minutes ago, Ian M said:

I heard a rumour that JFH is not enjoying life too much at that club and may or may not have spoken to us before we appointed our current head coach.

I think in fairness, it's a hard job for any manager / head coach to have to walk into any job & to be told that they have to make cut backs, which inevitably means from the playing staff.

Look at McInnes whining about what he had to do here!!

If you look at QPR & think that you're going to have Austin, Sandro & Fer etc to play for you but then get in there & find you have deal without them, life becomes a little more difficult!!

Looks can be deceiving at some clubs!!

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Bit harsh, he took Burton from the Northern Premier League all the way up into the Football League, winning titles on the way.

As we've seen with Cotts, everyone has their level as a manager, so yes you can say X is an awful manager at X level, but to write someone off as 'awful' overall is a bit harsh when they've proved their ability as Nigel Clough certainly did. 

The fact Burton Albion is a football league pro-club is entirely down to him...

Awful may be harsh. But he is overrated by many. He took burton to the top of the conference not to the football league.(he left before promotion) failed at Derby despite having very patiant backers at the time and then failed miserably with Sheffield United. Fair play to him for keeping the momentum going at burton this season though. 

14 minutes ago, sodburyred said:

Awful may be harsh. But he is overrated by many. He took burton to the top of the conference not to the football league.(he left before promotion) failed at Derby despite having very patiant backers at the time and then failed miserably with Sheffield United. Fair play to him for keeping the momentum going at burton this season though. 

Ok but he left Burton 13 points clear at the top of the conference....

19 minutes ago, sodburyred said:

He managed to take Sheffield United to semi finals in both the FA Cup and the League Cup - the sort of miserable failure we'd all be ecstatic about...

• Admin

Long standing posters will know I don't particularly rate Clough but he may just be one of those managers that excels on a shoestring but can't handle any significant form of transfer budget. Plenty of them about. 

3 hours ago, BCFC Jordan said:

Also can't discredit Clough. SOD hasn't been able to keep Walsall as high up, at least not to the degree Clough has at Burton.

2 points gained from the last fifteen available for SOD, they were in with a decent chance of automatic promotion when he took over, I think they'll only just scrape into the playoffs now..

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Ok but he left Burton 13 points clear at the top of the conference....

Yes he did well at conference level and left them in a good position for promotion. He'd of been a solid appointment for rovers last season.

1 hour ago, Calculus said:

He managed to take Sheffield United to semi finals in both the FA Cup and the League Cup - the sort of miserable failure we'd all be ecstatic about...

Yes I'm sure we'd be very happy. Doesn't take away the fact they are one off cup games and where it mattered in the league he failed. League one on the whole was poor last season yet he and the team with the biggest budget were no where near winning it. 

Archived