IGNORED

Watch Cole and Jacki tear Cardiff apart in 92

ashton_fan

1 hour ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Is that the game where it kicked off behind the open end at half time?

Yeah it was. I couldn't see exactly what was going on but from Dolman just remember both ends emptying and just the roar of fans going up. 

Great clip there. Thanks for posting. That was my first ever city match. Me and a mate went not supporting city at the time but went away hooked. Can't believe 24 years ago... I remember on the way there was loads of fans sprinting across the park. Was an electric night that had me hooked forever!

Cole was a different class. I can't remember him missing many chances. I think that only changed once he left Newcastle for man yoo, I think he got a bit complacent with the amount of chances created for him.

I know people think she was arogant etc etc but he is far and away the best finisher I have seen at the gate in my years supporting city.

1 hour ago, Flagon said:

Yeah it was. I couldn't see exactly what was going on but from Dolman just remember both ends emptying and just the roar of fans going up. 

Yeah that's what I saw from the Eastend, both the home and away areas on the open end disappearing off the terrace presumably to join the action out the back.

Gate was forced open I believe.

32 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Yeah that's what I saw from the Eastend, both the home and away areas on the open end disappearing off the terrace presumably to join the action out the back.

Well.....not quite forced.......There used to be massive corrugated iron gates which were usually padlocked, of course,

A Welsh friend of mine, who we gave a lift to, didn't want to wait for the toilet queue and had to relieve himself against said gates......In the action of doing so he said he rested his arm against them , in the time honoured fashion of male relief, and to his surprise they pushed apart.....only slightly , so he pushed a bit more, curious to see what was the other side.... he really is an all round nice innocent chap, believe me, so he was totally shocked to see an equally long queue of reds a few feet in front of him and quickly he tried to close them before he was spotted.....Unfortunately a few taffys had noticed and promptly said "well done butt. ..you opened the gates" before storming through.......still talks about it today , whenever we bump into each other. ...I believe him...

17 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Yes, the 3-3 match. Looked like it was raining seats in the Dolman.

Absolute carnage in the corner.  Guy Whittingham got the first 3 of his 40 odd goals for Pompey that season. Ended up with 88 points and finished third! Would love that game to crop up on YouTube one day 

Yes, Cardiff forced the gate open, but they didn't seem too keen to come through, once they did they soon realised they had bitten off more than they could chew, and couldn't wait to get back behind it!

57 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Yes, the 3-3 match. Looked like it was raining seats in the Dolman.

Yeah that one I was closer to being in Dolman. Crazy scenes. Before the kick off I think. Remember the ground chanting Come on Dolman Come on Dolman as Pompey came up the steps and got battered back down them

54 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

West Ham at home that season was pretty lively too wasn't it. All went off in the Williams of all places 

Was that the night game we lost 5-1? I'm sure that game was the one where an announcement went out on the PA about 21:20 to say that the club had received info from British Rail that the last train back to London had been cancelled and the only train to Paddington was leaving in 10 minutes or something?

57 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Was that the night game we lost 5-1? I'm sure that game was the one where an announcement went out on the PA about 21:20 to say that the club had received info from British Rail that the last train back to London had been cancelled and the only train to Paddington was leaving in 10 minutes or something?

Ha. I remember this too. Always made me laugh. Sure they were getting soaked too...

:laugh: that is funny

brilliant find, been trying to find this for years. Was a thrilling atmosphere and a rampant display of attacking football. The forwards were on fire, and Jacki totally mesmerizing. One story related to the trouble that has always stuck with me, i remember someone telling me that a few cardiff tried to rush the tea stand to nick the till - they met unlikely resistance from the tea lady mind who emptied a load of boiling water on them. I was up in the Dolman that night and remember seeing the ends practically emptying. A few cardiff did get as far as the open end itself and i can vividly recall them getting pursued right into the corner where they received what can best be described as an utter pasting. 

As for West Ham that season, i think the rumour was they had attacked a kid in the grandstand. A school friend of mine got chased to long ashton by a car full of west ham later and spent what he says felt like half the night hiding in a bush :D 

12 hours ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Defo remember it being 5-1 but not the train stuff. Arf

13 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Yes, Cardiff forced the gate open, but they didn't seem too keen to come through, once they did they soon realised they had bitten off more than they could chew, and couldn't wait to get back behind it!

Ye that is what I remember most about the gates opening is the taffs after all their bravado not really fancying venturing through to the waiting City fans

14 hours ago, Fodbarmyarmy said:

Well.....not quite forced.......There used to be massive corrugated iron gates which were usually padlocked, of course,

A Welsh friend of mine, who we gave a lift to, didn't want to wait for the toilet queue and had to relieve himself against said gates......In the action of doing so he said he rested his arm against them , in the time honoured fashion of male relief, and to his surprise they pushed apart.....only slightly , so he pushed a bit more, curious to see what was the other side.... he really is an all round nice innocent chap, believe me, so he was totally shocked to see an equally long queue of reds a few feet in front of him and quickly he tried to close them before he was spotted.....Unfortunately a few taffys had noticed and promptly said "well done butt. ..you opened the gates" before storming through.......still talks about it today , whenever we bump into each other. ...I believe him...

Me & my brother were getting a cuppa when saw the gates open slowly then the Cardiff fans poured through. I thought we were in for a good hiding but they ran straight past us on to the terrace. Then a huge roar went up & they came running back followed by half the open end. To say they got slaughtered would be an understatement. Brings back good memories 

Archived