IGNORED

How many players to keep for next season

ORANGE500

If & it's still an If we stay up this season how many of the squad would you keep even if bids came in for some of them. I would keep O Donnell Golbourne Smith Tomlin(unlikely he would stay) & Baker the rest I would not be too disappointed if they left before next season need a big injection of quality 

There's not many I'd be happy if they left, we have a small squad but one that has proven it can compete on its day. We need to replace Baker, assuming he goes, and some other attacking options. I'd like us to be looking for some proper wingers in the summer, now we've been playing more 433 we need them.

Tomlin is someone we should go all out to try and keep.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

There's not many I'd be happy if they left, we have a small squad but one that has proven it can compete on its day. We need to replace Baker, assuming he goes, and some other attacking options. I'd like us to be looking for some proper wingers in the summer, now we've been playing more 433 we need them.

Tomlin is someone we should go all out to try and keep.

SL said at the Nottingham Q & A that it's unlikely we will sign Baker, I'm guessing that if we are paying all of his wages he is being paid more than our wage cap allows.

IF we stay up and want to move forward next season we need to make quite a few additions. We need quality in depth and serious competition for places. I personally think LJ needs to be ruthless. Lots of changes needed. It doesn't matter if they are a 'good group' as quite a few in this group are not good enough.

I think Frankie will move on personally, O'Donnell has more about him as our No.1 IMO and Frankie is too good to fill a bench.

Only other departures we should entertain are El-Abd, Osborne & Wilbraham I think.

As for the rest, we should only entertain decent bids as they are all good players in this league to have in and around the match day squad, an injection of 3 or 4 quality players and we'll be set.

From memory, out of contract players are 

Reid, Burns, Osborne, Wilbraham, Wagstaff, Williams

Players who will only have a year left

Ayling, Smith, Freeman, Pack, Little, Agard, El Abd.

Everyone out of contract bar Williams & possibly Burns if he does well for the rest of the season I'd let go of. 

Worrying that we could have a Maynard situation with Smith in the sense that he'll only have a year left & we could see him go for free the summer after (or a cut price in January) We need to offer him a new deal asap. Unsure why it hasn't been done already.

We could do with 5 new signings plus a couple of loans.Whether we will be able to do this in one window I don't know, but we can't afford to start the season with a threadbare squad like we did this one.

I would only let Wilbs and the loans go back, still hope Baker may not fancy the lunatic asylum at Villa park.

Archived