IGNORED

Promotion or competing?

BigAl&Toby

I see lots of questions on other threads about whether "LJ the muppet or puppet" will ever get us promoted. Set my mind thinking........

Will anyone ever get BCFC promoted? Should that be our aim? Is promotion to the promised land as good as it gets? Will we ever be able to compete at that level? What would it take? Is that really achievable?

Now I know that some of the "muppet bashers" will talk about Swansea, Norwich and others. Interesting though to see that Hull were well beat last night.

Personally I'd rather compete and compete well in whatever division we find ourselves in, rather than aim or dream for something that I suspect will be unattainable or won't be sustained. And I think LJ with others around him is well capable of doing that.

I didn't watch the Hull game, but you have to wonder if the financial rewards of being in the Premier are more important to most clubs than winning the FA Cup.

With Arsenal looking increasingly an outside chance for the title, the cup has probably become a more important competition for them than it was, and with players, managers and club owners all wanting to compete in the top flight you have to wonder if the huge financial rewards are more important than a medal.

8 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I didn't watch the Hull game, but you have to wonder if the financial rewards of being in the Premier are more important to most clubs than winning the FA Cup.

With Arsenal looking increasingly an outside chance for the title, the cup has probably become a more important competition for them than it was, and with players, managers and club owners all wanting to compete in the top flight you have to wonder if the huge financial rewards are more important than a medal.

No question about that on,e the League all the way, the clubs have admitted so. The FA cup was finished the day Man U was excused, the Europa League, and the League Cup are far worse though. 

19 minutes ago, ten minutes of rough said:

No question about that on,e the League all the way, the clubs have admitted so. The FA cup was finished the day Man U was excused, the Europa League, and the League Cup are far worse though. 

I wonder if success payments rather than qualification payments in the European competitions would make a difference.

So rather than getting however many tens of millions for qualifying for the CL, qualification came with no reward but payments were made based on result.

Still a great incentive to qualify from the clubs perspective, but it might refocus players efforts on domestic honours.

1 hour ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

I see lots of questions on other threads about whether "LJ the muppet or puppet" will ever get us promoted. Set my mind thinking........

Will anyone ever get BCFC promoted? Should that be our aim? Is promotion to the promised land as good as it gets? Will we ever be able to compete at that level? What would it take? Is that really achievable?

Now I know that some of the "muppet bashers" will talk about Swansea, Norwich and others. Interesting though to see that Hull were well beat last night.

Personally I'd rather compete and compete well in whatever division we find ourselves in, rather than aim or dream for something that I suspect will be unattainable or won't be sustained. And I think LJ with others around him is well capable of doing that.

What would you class as competing well. I'd consider that to be top 6, which then in turn would bring opportunities for promotion. I would say that aiming for 'promotion' and 'competing well' are essentially the same thing.

I am almost at the point of wishing for a boring season next year.  Winning most home games, losing most away.

An opportunity to relax for once supporting City.

But I am guessing that next year will also be a struggle whatever league we are in for the same old problem failing to invest when we are on the up and panic buying when on the down

4 hours ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Interested to know what this confidence is based on.

LJ has only a 6 game record of competing in the Championship, with mixed and declining results, and 'those around him' mostly give little cause for optimism.

You could say you hope LJ and others will prove capable of competing whatever division we find ourselves in, but we're in the Championship and need to compete here and now, and to actually be confident of doing that can only be based on wild optimism and blind faith as things stand.

As for 'promotion or competing' you could say the same about our present circumstances - BCFC are entertaining, score loads of goals, win lots of games and are enjoyable to watch in L1, but seemingly can't sustain any of that in the Championship.

If we get a manager who realises our limitations and tries something different to try and make our mark on this league we sack him.

I've no doubt LJ could be reasonably competitive with BCFC's resources in L1, but the board surely haven't appointed him to settle for that have they? :dunno:

Archived