IGNORED

the good the bad...and the experiments

The Humble Realist

Am I the only one concerned that we have moved away from the back to basics approach adopted by pemberton that led the revival.  

Since LJ came in we have had an academy player cone in and cost us vs Brighton, a Joe Bryan centre mid experiment that disrupted shape significantly v Cardiff where poor marking from centre mid cost us the crucial first goal and then wagstaff playing v wolves when he wasn't good enough in league one. 

Why are we not sticking with basics and giving ourselves the best chance to get points ? Are these experiments really working or are they likely to cost us more points ? 

For balance I appreciate we did get a win with vyner at right back vs dons, a win with Bryan in center mid v forest and I'm not suggesting wagstaff is personally responsible for last night...im just concerned that we might keep experimenting and this might cost us valuable points ...possibly giving them to rivals  ! 

14 minutes ago, The Humble Realist said:

Am I the only one concerned that we have moved away from the back to basics approach adopted by pemberton that led the revival.  

Since LJ came in we have had an academy player cone in and cost us vs Brighton, a Joe Bryan centre mid experiment that disrupted shape significantly v Cardiff where poor marking from centre mid cost us the crucial first goal and then wagstaff playing v wolves when he wasn't good enough in league one. 

Why are we not sticking with basics and giving ourselves the best chance to get points ? Are these experiments really working or are they likely to cost us more points ? 

For balance I appreciate we did get a win with vyner at right back vs dons, a win with Bryan in center mid v forest and I'm not suggesting wagstaff is personally responsible for last night...im just concerned that we might keep experimenting and this might cost us valuable points ...possibly giving them to rivals  ! 

I see your point of view and to an extent i agree however how much of these " experiments " are the result of the coaches have an Archimedes moment and how much are imposed through having no other choice ? 

Vyner was thrown in the deep end because of injuries to Ayling and Little. We now have Matthews so that "experiment" isn't needed.

Bryan to CM was again due to Smith being injured. We have no-one else to play there. 

Being rather harsh overall my friend!

If we dropped our season pro's for kids or players out of position fair enough, but LJ's hand has been forced.

When you're better than the opposition you can stick rigidly to a plan and expect it to work, as it did last season.

When you're not better than the opposition and you try that you end up in trouble, as we did in the first half of this season.

We have to try different things and tailor the team and the tactics to suit the situation (including certain players being unavailable). That it didn't work last night is not necessarily down to the change. It may just mean that despite the change we weren't good enough.

3 hours ago, Selred said:

Vyner was thrown in the deep end because of injuries to Ayling and Little. We now have Matthews so that "experiment" isn't needed.

Bryan to CM was again due to Smith being injured. We have no-one else to play there. 

Being rather harsh overall my friend!

If we dropped our season pro's for kids or players out of position fair enough, but LJ's hand has been forced.

Matthews was so bad last night he hadn't to be put out of his misery and taken off.

On one occasion with no one on him he even let the ball go under his foot.

Horrific and an ebsolutely pointless signing when a central mid enforcer & striker are needed as we can't just rely on Flinty's goals.

35 minutes ago, PaulieBS5 said:

Matthews was so bad last night he hadn't to be put out of his misery and taken off.

Horrific and an ebsolutely pointless signing when a central mid enforcer & striker are needed as we can't just rely on Flinty's goals.

He's not fully match fit, I believe that is the reason why he actually was taken off.

He wasnt signed over another player. The striker to save all our problems is not available!

10 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Bizarre that we didn't see fit to sign a central midfield player in the summer. One injury there and we're pretty much forced to play people out of position.

Yes - not replacing Wade has been our biggest problem all season IMO. Someone who can read the game and break the opposition momentum before it starts + be a v good ball player.

1 hour ago, PaulieBS5 said:

I thought he was steady enough for a guy who was not match fit.  Made a great track back in first half.  No surprise he was subbed for Litts, and didn't think it was performance related.

i think every player in the world will have taken their eye off the ball and seen it roll under their foot at some point.

13 minutes ago, The Humble Realist said:

Well there have been other options...vyner didn't need to play v Brighton. ...Bryan didn't need to play centre mid as Reid about and why did wagstaff play last night....let's keep things simple n give ourselves best chance to get points 

I don't know. Vyner played against Franchise FC when Little and Ayling were unavailable and then continued against Brighton when Little wasn't considered to be 100% Not so unusual to keep an unchanged side after a win at any rate.

Bobby is no more of a conventional central midfield player than Joe in my opinion. I'd be inclined to agree about Wagstaff, I've never been a huge fan of his but I wasn't at the Wolves game so couldn't comment on how he played and at least he was playing in something like his normal position.

Whatever LJ would have done, with Little, Ayling and Smith out (and given the ridiculously small squad we've been lumbered with) it has forced him to stick players out of position and hope for the best. He's attempted to deal with the absence of Ayling by bringing in Matthews, let's hope that Smith is back sooner rather than later.

8 hours ago, The Humble Realist said:

They might have found a new and probably a better technique. And the only thing they could do to verify is to do experiments.

Archived