IGNORED

Nick Carle - over-rated and lucky to get a contract?

Tomo

3 minutes ago, super slick said:

Thought Nick Carle was massively overrated, he was overhyped because he replaced the scapegoat of the season, Lee Johnson

His manager didn't consider Lee to be a scapegoat though. He even moved the Championships best midfielder to full back to accommodate him at Wembley.

Water under the bridge but Carle was the real deal in my opinion but not everyone else's perhaps.

7 minutes ago, Super said:

He would walk into this team now.

A few of the playoff final team would walk into the current team (if they weren't 8 years older!)

Basso, Orr (Johnson 45), Carey, Fontaine, McAllister, Noble (Sproule 63), Elliott, Carle (Byfield 76), McIndoe, Adebola, Trundle.

3 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

A few of the playoff final team would walk into the current team (if they weren't 8 years older!)

Basso, Orr (Johnson 45), Carey, Fontaine, McAllister, Noble (Sproule 63), Elliott, Carle (Byfield 76), McIndoe, Adebola, Trundle.

Its funny though because even that team suffered in a way the same as the current team is and that is scoring goals.. Neither Trundle or Adebola were out and out goal scorer's.. We did have the likes of Mcindoe and Sproule chipping in though i suppose!

Basically the original Freeman at this level.

Seems that a lot of our fans get duped by players that flick their wavey hair about and can drop their shoulder from time to time.

Yes, he could hold the ball and do a decent Cruyff turn but other than that, like Freeman, he had next to no end product at this level.

Most definitely over-rated as can be seen by some of the gushing comments on this very thread. Horrible buy from Colin as any Palarse fan would tell you.

7 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Seems that a lot of our fans get duped by players that flick their wavey hair about and can drop their shoulder from time to time.

Yes, he could hold the ball and do a decent Cruyff turn but other than that, like Freeman, he had next to no end product at this level.

Most definitely over-rated as can be seen by some of the gushing comments on this very thread. Horrible buy from Colin as any Palarse fan would tell you.

In your opinion of course.

29 minutes ago, bris red said:

Its funny though because even that team suffered in a way the same as the current team is and that is scoring goals.. Neither Trundle or Adebola were out and out goal scorer's.. We did have the likes of Mcindoe and Sproule chipping in though i suppose!

I think that was the key - no prolific goal scorers but a players scattered around the team who each contributed the odd goal here or there. 

31 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Completely disagree here to be fair mate. Freeman is clearly a class above some of the players here, and while he does need a bit of development mentally, his physical ability while on the ball and his ability to hold possession will definitely have other clubs sniffing. Has the joint-most assists in our team, the latter of which we can all agree is not quite good enough. A couple more finishes from Jimmy and Freeman would be up there in joint 3rd in the league! A Guardian journalist once referred to him as a 'budget David Silva', and that's exactly what he is. Given that his job is to make incisive passes that will more often than not fail to come off, it is much more difficult to shine in his role (not unlike how it's difficult to shine in a DM role a la Carrick), so to some he might look a bit disjointed, but I think he's got great potential.

Nope, he wasn't. Considering where he came from he settled very quickly and showed some nice touches and got stuck in too. There was more to his game than 'dropping his shoulder' - wasn't it him getting his head stuck in which fed Noble the goal away at Palace? 

He wasn't the finished product by any means; he was rash and he did overplay it. And we did well selling him for double our outlay six months on. 

But equally let us not forget he was an attacking midfielder in a team where our top scorer got 8 wasn't it and consisted of attempts to assist (from the centre), dele, trundle, Byfield and occasionally Tamas Vasko!!!! 

I thought he was a good player. Not remarkable, by no means poor. 

I thought he was pretty good when he played for us and I remember him putting in a few crunching tackles in the play-off games against Crystal Palace.

I recall being a bit surprised that Palace were prepared to fork out £1 million for him, though - it felt like he was still finding his feet at Championship level.

7 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

Completely disagree here to be fair mate. Freeman is clearly a class above some of the players here, and while he does need a bit of development mentally, his physical ability while on the ball and his ability to hold possession will definitely have other clubs sniffing. Has the joint-most assists in our team, the latter of which we can all agree is not quite good enough. A couple more finishes from Jimmy and Freeman would be up there in joint 3rd in the league! A Guardian journalist once referred to him as a 'budget David Silva', and that's exactly what he is. Given that his job is to make incisive passes that will more often than not fail to come off, it is much more difficult to shine in his role (not unlike how it's difficult to shine in a DM role a la Carrick), so to some he might look a bit disjointed, but I think he's got great potential.

I still think he's got potential but most of his assists are set pieces where he takes the majority. Those incisive passes? He makes them about 3 dribbles too late. That's why he's got potential. If he learns to play it quicker then we've got a real player. That and a bit of composure finishing. With his set piece ability and some of the positions he's been in, he should be around the 6-7 goals scored mark. 

Very good player. Comparing him to Freeman is laughable considering many of Carle's best strengths were doing the dirty work. Notably being able to put in a proper hard tackle which Luke Freeman is incapable of, unless of course it involves drop kicking them in the head.

I thought he was excellent for us, the problem was that he was one step ahead of the players around him at the time.

One of those players that always had time on the ball, also very good at finding space. Shame we sold him for a quick profit, as he could have had a few good years here. One problem was that the manager at the time had a son who played in the same position...........................

Archived