IGNORED

Taking kids on holiday during school time

The Batman

As it says on the tin.

Me and the wife will be going on holiday with her family in a few years time. I said we'd have to save up a bit more to accommodate for the summer prices, she said we'll be going end September as it won't be a big deal taking a child out of school. (We have a niece who will be mid primary school age at the time we go)

What do people think of it and is it really a big deal. I remember going on at least 2 holidays during school time and neither did me any harm. That was a long time ago. 

I think it's probably OK as a one off. But start doing it every year and it could start to have an effect. 

With a teacher for a wife it's not something I'll ever have to consider. 

Expensive holidays are all I've ever known and all I ever will know!

You can put in a request in writing for the head to allow you to take them out without the risk of being fined. It depends on stuff like what their attendance is like usually. Most (but not all heads) are usually flexible and if you've run it past them, then a week or two off will be fine. 

Ask for the policy in school maybe first, and have a chat with the head to ask her/him how strict they are about enforcing the no holidays thing.

I did it last year but my boy was only 5 and it was fine, spoke to the head teacher and he was fine although he obviously couldn't give it the ok   And said I could face a fine (which I didnt). Probably depends on the age of the kids, something does need doing though as it is disgraceful how expensive holidays are.

It does depend on the age of the child.  If they are five then you will probably get away with it.  My personal view is that it shouldn't be done regardless of fines but I am sure not many will agree with me.  Important to teach children the importance of school and remain consistent with that message, in my opinion.  

43 minutes ago, RedDave said:

It does depend on the age of the child.  If they are five then you will probably get away with it.  My personal view is that it shouldn't be done regardless of fines but I am sure not many will agree with me.  Important to teach children the importance of school and remain consistent with that message, in my opinion.  

I've done it twice, once in the final week of school when my two eldest were both still at primary school, and watching videos all day, so no big deal

Done it last year, for a long weekend after we got married, was the first week back, so no issues at all with the schools either time

But I have to say, I do agree with your sentiments, Dave. Sets a good example, bugs the crap out of me seeing friends take their kids out for 2 weeks, when they've got 6 weeks off coming up in a months time

What would make life rather easier and less costly for us parents is if every school in the bleeding country didn't schedule their holidays at exactly the same time - creating the six-week "peak period".

Such an easy thing to implement,  but no, like Sunday trading hours, we are stuck in the past. Having the holidays based around August was "to allow children to help with the harvest".  No longer necessary. 

17 hours ago, The Batman said:

As it says on the tin.

Me and the wife will be going on holiday with her family in a few years time. I said we'd have to save up a bit more to accommodate for the summer prices,  

Aye, Clevedon can be a tad pricey

36 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Aye, Clevedon can be a tad pricey

Don't get me started on that.

Last year, her aunt wanted one last family holiday as she has terminal cancer. Of all the places she wanted to go back to, we had to go to Brean. Oh what a joyous weekend that was. 

Family time is important. I can't see an issue with taking primary school age kids out for a couple of weeks in a year, they probably lose that through work shy teachers striking anyway.

As for holiday companies being "forced" to lower their prices, why the hell should they? Supply and demand makes holidays outside of term time be worth more, and you can be sure those high prices make the in term time prices lower.

7 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

What would make life rather easier and less costly for us parents is if every school in the bleeding country didn't schedule their holidays at exactly the same time - creating the six-week "peak period".

Such an easy thing to implement,  but no, like Sunday trading hours, we are stuck in the past. Having the holidays based around August was "to allow children to help with the harvest".  No longer necessary. 

Some kids in my wife's village (deepest, darkest Somerset) were not actually sent to school in any event:  parents thought learning to drive a Massey Ferguson was more important than stuff like learning to read like what those town folk did.

5 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Some kids in my wife's village (deepest, darkest Somerset) were not actually sent to school in any event:  parents thought learning to drive a Massey Ferguson was more important than stuff like learning to read like what those town folk did.

Indeed, didn't happen historically, for lots of reasons.

P'raps a teacher on here can tell us the origin of compulsory education. 

I take my two out for a few days each year before Easter as that is when we have our main holiday (we're taking them out in just over a week).

We haven't been fined yet but have always said that if we were we would just pay up.

18 hours ago, frenchred said:

Yet teachers are allowed to strike during term time which is effectively the same as being absent so they should be fined as well.

Phone in sick from wherever you are, its what I do!

Are you saying teachers shouldn't be allowed to strike? They're like any other employee who has the right to withdraw their labour, just because it inconveniences a large amount of people doesn't make it wrong.

If you know a teacher who's been teaching for 5-10yrs+ go and ask them how they feel about their job now, i'll put serious money that the vast majority will tell you they don't like it. (BTW i'm speaking from experience i'm married to one)

Just from my wife's experience pupil assaults, arson(trying to set the classroom alight), parent assaults, vandalism to our car etc. not once reported to the police as the headteacher didn't want any bad press bought upon the school. So she quit, not our loss but a loss the the students of North Somerset and south Bristol and to the teachers in her subject as she was North Somerset's AST (advance skills teacher) and Leading teacher in her subject.

Oh and please don't come 'they only work 9-3', there's been many a night she's been up past midnight marking GCSE course work and homework and i've done my fair share in marking course work as well.

Back to the OP's post, if you want to take your kids out make sure their attendance is above 92% for the year with the holiday factored in, there is nothing stated in any legislation etc that you can't take your kids on holiday, it's about the average attendance. You will more than likely get fined but you'll have to go to Court and argue your case, or as above phone in sick.

1 hour ago, northsomersetred said:

Are you saying teachers shouldn't be allowed to strike? They're like any other employee who has the right to withdraw their labour, just because it inconveniences a large amount of people doesn't make it wrong.

If you know a teacher who's been teaching for 5-10yrs+ go and ask them how they feel about their job now, i'll put serious money that the vast majority will tell you they don't like it. (BTW i'm speaking from experience i'm married to one)

Just from my wife's experience pupil assaults, arson(trying to set the classroom alight), parent assaults, vandalism to our car etc. not once reported to the police as the headteacher didn't want any bad press bought upon the school. So she quit, not our loss but a loss the the students of North Somerset and south Bristol and to the teachers in her subject as she was North Somerset's AST (advance skills teacher) and Leading teacher in her subject.

Oh and please don't come 'they only work 9-3', there's been many a night she's been up past midnight marking GCSE course work and homework and i've done my fair share in marking course work as well.

Back to the OP's post, if you want to take your kids out make sure their attendance is above 92% for the year with the holiday factored in, there is nothing stated in any legislation etc that you can't take your kids on holiday, it's about the average attendance. You will more than likely get fined but you'll have to go to Court and argue your case, or as above phone in sick.

I can completely identify with what you are saying - my wife has been teaching for around 10 years (albeit part time) and is desperate to get out, as are a lot of her colleagues

7 hours ago, northsomersetred said:

Are you saying teachers shouldn't be allowed to strike? They're like any other employee who has the right to withdraw their labour, just because it inconveniences a large amount of people doesn't make it wrong. Yes it is wrong, they are there to provide a service and should provide it

If you know a teacher who's been teaching for 5-10yrs+ go and ask them how they feel about their job now, i'll put serious money that the vast majority will tell you they don't like it. (BTW i'm speaking from experience i'm married to one) And so would thousands of others who are not in Teaching so no different from anyone else

Just from my wife's experience pupil assaults, arson(trying to set the classroom alight), parent assaults, vandalism to our car etc. not once reported to the police as the headteacher didn't want any bad press bought upon the school. So she quit, not our loss but a loss the the students of North Somerset and south Bristol and to the teachers in her subject as she was North Somerset's AST (advance skills teacher) and Leading teacher in her subject. Teachings loss as you say and I agree, no room for violence anywhere in any walk of life

Oh and please don't come 'they only work 9-3', there's been many a night she's been up past midnight marking GCSE course work and homework and i've done my fair share in marking course work as well. Are you qualified to do this? There is no getting away with it that they work short hours and have holidays most of us can only dream of!

Not having a go at you but I do get fed up with the one way traffic from schools to parents, forever preached what we can and cant do while the rules appear more flexible to the teachers

I went to Australia when I was 13 (on my own) to stay with family for 6 months. Ok, I went to school there but the experience certainly did not do me any harm and has made me very independent.  My own kids get a nosebleed going to Clevedon !!

On 3/12/2016 at 15:56, BigTone said:

I went to Australia when I was 13 (on my own) to stay with family for 6 months. Ok, I went to school there but the experience certainly did not do me any harm and has made me very independent.  My own kids get a nosebleed going to Clevedon !!

So just how do you explain some (most?) of your posts on this forum? :whistle:

On 3/10/2016 at 06:11, The Batman said:

As it says on the tin.

Me and the wife will be going on holiday with her family in a few years time. I said we'd have to save up a bit more to accommodate for the summer prices, she said we'll be going end September as it won't be a big deal taking a child out of school. (We have a niece who will be mid primary school age at the time we go)

What do people think of it and is it really a big deal. I remember going on at least 2 holidays during school time and neither did me any harm. That was a long time ago. 

Holiday breaks school pressures and refreshes excitement for it. So, it's a big deal for me. ;)

In Wales official guidelines from WAG is not to prosecute but they are trying to keep it quiet not to sure what the status is in England but i guess it would be the same. Its since that chap took his LEA to court and won his case and they dont want to keep paying court costs when they lose the case.

Archived