IGNORED

Goal Keeper

kiwicolin

everybody is talking about strikers and midfield players but what

about goalkeepers?

i am not saying we should get rid of steve phillips (he is a very good

goalkeeper and will get better) but we need a second choice keeper

who will push phillips to the limit.

i know we have mike stowell but he is getting on in age (i should know)

but is he up to it.?

who do you think we could get???? :D

Guest Levster

i fully agree we do need a back-up that can push phillips to the limit.

how about Chris Stringer who was released by sheff wed. he is a godd young keeper that can challenge Phillips.

everybody is talking about strikers and midfield players but what

about goalkeepers?

i am not saying we should get rid of steve phillips (he is a very good

goalkeeper and will get better) but we need a second choice keeper

who will push phillips to the limit.

i know we have mike stowell but he is getting on in age (i should know)

but is he up to it.?

who do you think we could get???? :D

I think probably stowell will play for just one more season before getting a full time coaching job. We'll get a keeper at the end of the season.

i fully agree we do need a back-up that can push phillips to the limit.

how about Chris Stringer who was released by sheff wed. he is a godd young keeper that can challenge Phillips.

Stringer retired through injury.

It was explained at last year's shareholders meeting that Stowell took a pay cut to stay last year and that they also released the goalkeeping coach, Mike Gibson, at the same time, thereby saving money on the wage bill as Stowell has taken this task on.

Stowell's job is to also identify a young replacement who will in time become Steve's understudy, this didn't happen with Scott Brown as the view was he was too short.

No chance of another keeper being signed permanently then, just someone on loan if Steve got hurt or suspended.

Guest XrAnGeX
i fully agree we need a challange for Phillips. Kasper Schmichael of Man City. Good 18 year old keeper :D
Sounds familiar.

Looks familiar.

_39328369_kaspeer300.jpg

Thing is, as we currently have a very good goalkeeper in Phillips, we would basically be recruiting a reserve, but he would have to be very nearly as good as Phillips in order to put any realistic pressure on him.

I don't think we're in the kind of position financially where we can afford to sign good players as reserves. If Stowell can identify a young player who is good enough, then great, otherwise I think there are more important areas to concentrate on.

I would have kept scott brown to be honest , stowell is awfull now he's old and it makes me nervous when he's on the bench let alone the pitch! There a plenty of goalkeepers out there on frees who we could bring in to challenge phillips or as backup , they dont necceserily have to be as good as phillips , just good enough to play if he gets injured.

But how do we go about signing someone like that?

Man U can sign someone like Roy Carroll as backup because they have the kind of status where players will come just to be reserves.

If we are going to sign any players then they really have to be better than what we have.

I'm not saying we don't need another 'keeper, I think we do, and the idea of Phillips getting injured terrifies me. I just think it'd be very difficult to get someone good enough in to just be backup, and that our resources are better used elsewhere.

If something happens to Phillips we can look at loan deals. Until then we just have to hope that his own motivation is enough to keep him playing well. Seemed to work ok last season.

Guest XrAnGeX
but maybe get rid of mike and maybe pressman from wednesday
I'm sure its down to Sheffield Wednesday to get rid of Pressman.... :D

Guest master123

send a scout to goalsfootball in wimbledon to pick up ross ferguson this is a 16 year old who is a fantastic in goal he plays for a poo team called millards the team have conceeded 20 but it should at least 80 he just stops shots the whole match because that team dont defend if he had a good defence in front of him he would never let a goal in. So get a scout down there and check him out u wont be sorry

Archived