IGNORED

Big Wilbs

BobBobSuperBob

Lots of players receiving plaudits which is justified but I can't believe anyone not mentioned the performance of Aarron Wilbraham

Personally and I'm sure some won't see it - that was one of the best lone centre forward / target man displays I've seen in a fair while

Was watching him closely and he worked his proverbial off getting elbowed and kicked , completely isolated for long periods in the first half with no one within 25 yards as the ball was played up to him for the umpteenth time

Some of his flick headers to teammates when he did have someone close enough were absolute class , one to put Odimwingie in first half and another for Odimwingies goal Spring to mind

His sort of role is unappreciated and missed a lot of the time but I thought he was Magnificent today

36 yrs old and a model pro from all I hear

Well done Big Man - what a wonderful signing he has been for us 

Would have loved him at the Gate in his 'prime'

:clap:

47 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Wilbs has been a top player for us over the last few years, long may it continue!

Always, always puts in a tremendous shift.

In years to come, I will talk with fond memories of his time here, that's for sure.

To be fair, he's only been with us since summer 2014.  Not quite 'the last few years'.  I thought he was tremendous today, but I assume this season will be his last.

He is, and will be, Wilbrahimovic. Play him 180 mins a week and he's crap, play him intermittently and effectively and he's very comfortable at this level at this age. 

As with a number of our players, he's been revitalised in this new system, and by being used realistically (RE not playing two full games a week).

Only caught the second half, and but he was busy, tough and had which ever centre back that deemed to test him in his pocket.

He is certainly an evergreen talent, and I think he may have another year in him, though couldn't tell you if that was with us or elsewhere.  

Am aware his family live in the North West still, and have zero doubts that if does leave he'd find a league one or two club up there who he could do an excellent job for; Fleetwood or similar perhaps.

As with Wade, once his career as a player was done, if he had any aspirations of coaching and displayed talent in that area, I'd hope we'd offer him a chance to develop that aspect of his career here, as his professionalism and drive would be welcome.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Lots of players receiving plaudits which is justified but I can't believe anyone not mentioned the performance of Aarron Wilbraham

Personally and I'm sure some won't see it - that was one of the best lone centre forward / target man displays I've seen in a fair while

Was watching him closely and he worked his proverbial off getting elbowed and kicked , completely isolated for long periods in the first half with no one within 25 yards as the ball was played up to him for the umpteenth time

Some of his flick headers to teammates when he did have someone close enough were absolute class , one to put Odimwingie in first half and another for Odimwingies goal Spring to mind

His sort of role is unappreciated and missed a lot of the time but I thought he was Magnificent today

36 yrs old and a model pro from all I hear

Well done Big Man - what a wonderful signing he has been for us 

Would have loved him at the Gate in his 'prime'

:clap:

The Bolton players loved him, couldn't keep away from him all game. 

2 hours ago, Northern Red said:

He got absolutely nothing from the referee all afternoon either. 

1 hour ago, Taz said:

Great game today and got battered from the beginning. As others have said got nothing from the ref (who got in the way of the ball twice!!!).

The ref was the most lenient I've seen all season.  Did worry the Bolton players were going to do some serious damage with some of their tackles...but in a way it was a bit refreshing.  When Wilbs got hacked down in the first half, I did fear for the culprit!

His performance today was decent.  He benefitted by being able to pull wide onto 'Denis' and then flick to the willing and clever runs of PO.

1. Took his goal well, easy to panic

2. Assist for PO

3. Fouled when about to head home in first half which would've been a red card for Wheater (I think)

7 minutes ago, MRSATAN said:

Nope, clause triggered so he has extended for another year

Is that confirmed? Was thinking earlier actually, so long as he's not flogged to death and played for 90 mins back to back, he can actually still be quite effective. With 4 decent attackers (him JK, LT and PO) we're now in a position where any of those 4 look to be a deadly combination. Also have KA as well....

There were times when Aaron had 2 players on him. Would say Bolton couldn't handle him, but actually on today's showing Bolton can't handle much!!! 

If that is true, could be a very good signing. Did hear PO on radio tonight saying how good he is....

Few of us at Fulham, all thought he was an unsung hero. Same for the time he was on at Charlton. He has an incredible talent for knock ons, holding the ball, flick ons and is a constant threat. His physicality is an amazing addition, gets defences on edge. I'd love to see him extend. He still has so much to offer us, on and off the pitch. I noticed before Fulham he was pretty much 1-2-1 coaching Kodjia on movement and tactics. Will be really good for him

4 minutes ago, mattjtsmith said:

Few of us at Fulham, all thought he was an unsung hero. Same for the time he was on at Charlton. He has an incredible talent for knock ons, holding the ball, flick ons and is a constant threat. His physicality is an amazing addition, gets defences on edge. I'd love to see him extend. He still has so much to offer us, on and off the pitch. I noticed before Fulham he was pretty much 1-2-1 coaching Kodjia on movement and tactics. Will be really good for him

I thought the pen was his only blot. He seemed to understand the game and let bygones be bygones and officiated without fuss. Best ref all season; he even levelled it up in how often he'd block a pass. 

Played the lone striker position well today and worked his socks off

We played some good football and lots of that started from Wilbs laying it off to the likes of Tomlin, Bryan, Odemwingie and Reid  

I would be happy to see Wilbs here for another season but we also need a younger version in our squad.

The fact he's still able to play so well at this level at the age of 36... he deserves all the credit he gets. He's a great team player and when the tactics and players around him are used right, he's a massive asset. Last week he worked tirelessly, and going by reports, it was the same today. I don't recall many fitter 36 year olds than Wilbs - a true professional.

1 hour ago, Super said:

People slated him but Cotts was flogging him playing 3 games in a week. If only he was ten years younger.

TBF quite a few of us realised that it was Cotterill's intransigence that was the problem : Thinking the Championship would be like League One.

Wilbs had a stormer today. No one didn't,  and - yes - we were playing a doomed side, but we played nice football and you can't score 6 unless everyone was firing on all cylinders. 

Was great to go out tonight in the village and get high-fived and bought drinks by non-City fans, impressed by that performance.

8 hours ago, Taz said:

Is that confirmed? Was thinking earlier actually, so long as he's not flogged to death and played for 90 mins back to back, he can actually still be quite effective. With 4 decent attackers (him JK, LT and PO) we're now in a position where any of those 4 look to be a deadly combination. Also have KA as well....

There were times when Aaron had 2 players on him. Would say Bolton couldn't handle him, but actually on today's showing Bolton can't handle much!!! 

If that is true, could be a very good signing. Did hear PO on radio tonight saying how good he is....

And Wes!

6 minutes ago, MRSATAN said:

From the horses mouth mate

had to play 33 times to trigger the 12 month clause,37 appearances so he has triggered it for the extra 12 months

I guess from what you`ve said that he has accepted it too. Any idea if he intends to get more involved in the coaching side next season?

17 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

TBF quite a few of us realised that it was Cotterill's intransigence that was the problem : Thinking the Championship would be like League One.

Wilbs had a stormer today. No one didn't,  and - yes - we were playing a doomed side, but we played nice football and you can't score 6 unless everyone was firing on all cylinders. 

Was great to go out tonight in the village and get high-fived and bought drinks by non-City fans, impressed by that performance.

Where do you live? I'm coming out with you next time we win then!

Archived