IGNORED

Jack Boxley RIP

BS15_RED

A sad day for his family and for all City fans. He had two spells at City with a short stay at Coventry in between the them. A la Louis Carey?

He was a valued member of the 1955 promotion team, never more so than the match in November at home to Watford. Keeper Tony Cook broke his arm very early in the game and veteran right back, Ivor Guy went in goal. For younger members, no subs in those far off days. 

It was a tight game and still at 0-0 with about 5 minutes to go, when Jack thundered one into the net at the Covered End with his famous left peg. His right was just for standing on? A team that was very similar to last season's had hung in there and grabbed a priceless two points.

Later in life, I played skittles a few times against him and always bought him a pint from my Dad who said after the game "If I ever see Jack Boxley in a pub, I'll buy him a pint."

RIP Jack and thanks for the memories.

Sincere condolences to Jack's family and friends. He predated me but he was thought of warmly by those with whom I've spoken that had the pleasure of watching him play. Rest peacefully Jack. CTYD.

From wiki ...

Jack Boxley played locally for Stourbridge F.C.[2] Pat Beasley signed Boxley in October 1950 from Stourbridge Town for Bristol City for £2,000.[2] Jack Boxley made his debut in the Third Division South at outside left for Bristol City in a 2-1 win v Newport County on 14 October 1950.[3] He made 23apps scoring 2gls in his first season 1950-51 with the "Robins".[3] After creating numerous goalscoring opportunities for City forwards John Atyeo and Arnold Rodgers Jack Boxley and Jimmy Rogers left Ashton Gate together to join Coventry City in December 1956. Boxley helped Coventry City gain promotion in season 1958-59 from the newly formed Fourt Division as runners up on goal difference from York City. Boxley returned to Bristol City from Coventry City in August 1960. Boxley had the distinction of scoring Bristol City's first ever goal in the League Cup in October 1960 v Aldershot. Jack Boxley later played Western League football for Chippenham Town and Welton Rovers before playing for his final club Bath City in the Southerrn League.

After retiring from football Jack Boxley remained close to Ashton Gate working as a car salesman at Winterstoke Garage, just around the corner from the ground, for 34 years before retirement in March 1995

This is sad news; Jack was approaching his 85th birthday.  The 1954/55 season has been mentioned - when we won the Division 3(S) league.  We were privileged last season to see our team repeat that achievement - 60 years later.  We know how special last season was so this helps us appreciate the class of '54-55.  Jack missed only three league matches that season, scoring 11 valuable goals - in the number 11 shirt.

Jack was John Atyeo's best man at his wedding and remained a close friend.  His insight into Atyeo's relationship with Bristol City is revealing.  He thought that Atyeo was a true one Club man and would not have been able to settle at another Club.

A statue of Atyeo will grace the entrance to the New Ashton Gate.

Fittingly, in the last 24 hours we have signed off the clay version so that it will now go to the foundry.

It will be good to read more appreciation of Jack from those who saw him play and perhaps outside thee game.

RIP Jack. Incredible that there is only one member of that team left. I guess it shows the importance of regularly inviting ex players back to the Gate on a match day to allow fans to show their appreciation. I always enjoyed the programme features on what are they doing now as well.

Archived