IGNORED

The Official Easter Saturday Matchday thread....

BigTone

8 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Not sure if it has this function though:

slaves were usually purchased and after a variety of rituals were anointed with blue dye and either shot with arrows through the heart or held on an altar while the priest swiftly removed the heart using a ceremonial knife.

The hearts were then dried in the sun and cut into small disc like shapes which young lovers would write romantic notes on and send to each other before consuming this declaration of love for a prosperous future. Hence the creation of Love Hearts (not chocolate but close enough)

11 minutes ago, BigTone said:

The hearts were then dried in the sun and cut into small disc like shapes.

then put between two slices of bread ...and that's how MacDonalds started.

2 hours ago, 22A said:

Too true! The Rugby League has kept with tradition though with all teams playing local derbies this weekend.

Easter fixtures at one stage had teams play each other H & A on consecutive days. One year City lost 4-1 at Plymouth on the Friday, but the next day beat Argyle 4-1 at the Gate.

The Easter 1907 fixtures though robbed City of becoming League Champions. They won at Bolton on Good Friday and then travelled overnight to Newcastle for the Saturday game at Newcastle and the players were too tired to perform. Newcastle won the game and went on to lift the title.

Easter 75 City won at Soton on the Friday but then lost at home to promotion rivals Norwich on the Saturday. Norwich had gone out of the FA Cup early and had played their game scheduled for Good Friday on the date of the FA Cup 4th round, so had a day off whilst City were playing. The following year with City again going for promotion, they went out of the Cup in the 3rd round and brought one of their Easter games forward to the date of the 4th round.

I remembered that, going down the gate after win on the Friday, we were all excited, wasn't it Ted McDougal and Phil Boyer that scored the goals? We had to wait another whole season to get to the promised land :).

4 minutes ago, eardun said:

The Norwich match mentioned above in 1975. I was a kid at the time but I have a recollection of bowyers pork pies/sausages being thrown into the crowd (I think) at at that match (or around that time). Did I dream it?!

Why else would you buy them ?

Is "Easter Saturday" actually an officially recognised description of said date..?

I don't believe that it is. We have Good Friday, Saturday, Easter Sunday and Easter Monday. The Saturday is very much unremarkable in itself. 

Therefore, I find a thread about said Saturday being titled "official" yet describing Saturday as "Easter Saturday" a little bit dubious. 

Yes, I am bored. Not bored enough to watch an international friendly, but bored nonetheless. 

Archived