IGNORED

Did we really try to sign...

BS4 on Tour...

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

...Harry Kane back in 2013?! I must have missed that....although he wasn't as well known back then.

A Spurs fan retweeted this Sky Bet tweet from 2013 earlier today, he was obviously relieved it never happened!

4347b1818715992e70d6c91c486194d9_normal.Sky Bet Divisions FL (@SkyBetFootball_)
Bristol City looks set to sign Harry Kane from Spurs

Not an official account. One of those fake ones set up by 15 year olds who want attention. 

Yeah it's definitely a fake account so there's a big chance there was nothing in it.

To be fair even if it was true, back then I don't think many City fans would've been that excited by it! Hardly set the world alight at Orient, Millwall, Norwich or Leicester! His rise since then has been pretty incredible.

• True story and I got witnesses before the usual shout down but I remember Scott Davidson telling a group of us in the Williams before a Bristol derby we once tried to sign shearer from Southampton but we wouldn't go upove 200k and they wanted 250k minimum.
  • The reason he was outside chatting to us idiots was because dunford was inside and we were the lesser of 2 evils

3 hours ago, simon uk said:

When he was young, kane went out on loan to quite a few clubs didnt he? We also had rose and caulker, so it wouldnt surprise me. 

It was only 2-3 years ago he was on a season long loan at Leicester and didn't really show that much promise 

5 hours ago, dragonreds said:
  • True story and I got witnesses before the usual shout down but I remember Scott Davidson telling a group of us in the Williams before a Bristol derby we once tried to sign shearer from Southampton but we wouldn't go upove 200k and they wanted 250k minimum.
  • The reason he was outside chatting to us idiots was because dunford was inside and we were the lesser of 2 evils

Fair enough, not gonna shout you down, but Shearer was at Southampton from 1988 to 1992 and Scott wasn't director/chairman of City until 1996 so not sure how he could say we tried to sign Shearer from Saints with all the financial details when Shearer left Southampton four years before his reign?!

16 hours ago, simon uk said:

When he was young, kane went out on loan to quite a few clubs didnt he? We also had rose and caulker, so it wouldnt surprise me. 

Kane went everywhere!!

also believe it's quite widely accepted that if roberto soldado hadn't been so crap Kane would have left spurs

Harder you work, luckier you get 

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fair enough, not gonna shout you down, but Shearer was at Southampton from 1988 to 1992 and Scott wasn't director/chairman of City until 1996 so not sure how he could say we tried to sign Shearer from Saints with all the financial details when Shearer left Southampton four years before his reign?!

Dont know could he have been on the board then. Or just in the know.

Westonred was 1 of the people there

1 minute ago, dragonreds said:

Dont know could he have been on the board then. Or just in the know.

Westonred was 1 of the people there

He doesn't need to have been either, having got onto the Board he would then be told all the old stories over the port and cigars: "Did you know we nearly signed Shearer?".

The only nearly one I remember is Matt Jansen; not quite in the same league as Shearer.

I believe the Shearer story came from Tony Fawthrop. When the Evil post were talking to him in an interview around the time he was given the managers job about 16 years ago, they asked him about any players that nearly signed for the club who went on to do other things. He mentioned the fact that we had tried to sign Shearer from the Saints as a youth player before he went on to score a hatrick in only his second game. Apparently we had agreed terms but then after that Saints put the price of the deal through the roof. Fawthrop also claimed that we were close to signing Les Ferdinand around 1990 so we would have had Shearer and Ferdinand playing up front for us in the early 90's. 

That's the story as I remember it any way. 

A story I heard myself from Scott Davidson was that were offered a German defender for next to nothing, decided against it and he then went on to be sold by whomever he joined for £5million and played a career in the Premier League. For the life of me I can't remember his name now though!

On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 21:54, Portland Bill said:

Kane and Vardy were both unused substitutes for Leicester when they lost in the play off semi v Watford in 2013! 

... and Drinkwater. All three on the bench for both legs. Crazy what's happened in 3 years!

5 hours ago, richwwtk said:

A story I heard myself from Scott Davidson was that were offered a German defender for next to nothing, decided against it and he then went on to be sold by whomever he joined for £5million and played a career in the Premier League. For the life of me I can't remember his name now though!

Marcus Babbel?

I remember we was offered Emerson Thome before he joined Sheffield Wednesday 

23 hours ago, dragonreds said:

Didnt we sign holland and mercer instead

Yes mercer was a shame never really saw him at his best .dyche was never really taken to by the fans .went wrong from the start and just got worse the harder he tried .these were players who were minutes away from a cup final

Archived