IGNORED

Tony Fitzpatrick

sglosbcfc

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/st-mirren

interesting article with ex City midfielder Tony Fitzpatrick recalling Johan Cryuff's last appearance in Scotland. Fitzpatrick was playing for St Mirren v Feyenoord in the UEFA Cup. Fitzpatrick had to compete with a Feyenoord midfield that contained not just 36 year old Cryuff but also a young up and coming player by the name of Ruud Gullit.

6 hours ago, kent red said:

Many years have passed, but if memory serves me right I recall Tony Fitzpatrick chipping the ball over an opposition defence at Ashton Gate, running past them and scoring. Anybody else remember this ?

KR

I'm not old enough to have seen him player but my father said he was a decent player. In the admittedly lower standard of the Scottish league he is seen by St Mirren fans as one of their best ever.

27 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Fitzpatrick was a big , big disappointment for City .

We paid a good fee for him but he did nothing here .

I can't quite agree with you on this. I remember that he was very good at 10 yard sideways or backwards passes. A sort of Scottish Neil Kilkenny 

43 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

A talented midfielder but a lot like a current member of our squad. Guess who?

I nicknamed him the "clockwork mouse" because he went round in circles with the ball rather than pass.

A legend at St Mirren.

Sorry, really can't think who you're talking about from the current squad.

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

I nicknamed him the "clockwork mouse" because he went round in circles with the ball rather than pass.

A legend at St Mirren.

So he was like Luke Freeman then, didn't get the ball away quickly enough. My dad must have been being sarcastic in his assessment of him.

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

A legend at St Mirren.

I remember that he would get the ball either left or right of centre, run with purpose to the other side of the pitch, perform a neat turn and then pass the ball back to someone who was now stood in the space that he previously occupied. When he first arrived he would get a ripple of applause in approval from the City fans, but once he had performed this move several times in first half dozen games people started to realise that he was busy doing nothing. 

Archived