IGNORED

Luke Ayling

Londoner

Not selected yesterday and not on the bench....was he injured? Or is Little Lee starting to flush out those who he feels aren't quite up to this level.

I like Ayling but he also has to the odd mistake in him....from what I've seen of Matthews he seems a step up at RB....and potentially more likely to sign on a permanent than some of the others.

If so, could we be seeing the end of LA? A decent CB and RB, but if we going to push on, will we need better? 

Bill looked well off the pace in the U21 game he played two weeks ago, I assume lack of match fitness is contributing to exclusion in match day squads, as well as Matthews being seemingly a notch up in terms of RB quality. Hope he can force his way back into LJ's plans however as I think it'd be a shame to lose him potentially

The best part of Ayling's game is bringing the ball out of defence. It's also led to him getting tackled and goals being conceded. This was more a case at the beginning of the season. He's what I'd call a cultured defender. Flint's distribution is non-existent in comparison. Too often he just hoofs the ball up field and the opposition win back possession, as happened countless times last night.

19 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Not selected yesterday and not on the bench....was he injured? Or is Little Lee starting to flush out those who he feels aren't quite up to this level.

I seem to get the impression that we hastily get rid of good players while average ones languish around here for years.

Getting rid of Ayling would be a stupid and unforgivable mistake.

I really like Luke Ayling and feel that he has great potential as a defensive midfielder.  Maybe a tad slow to be a top class full back - but is nevertheless a great and versatile footballer.  We should do everything to keep him at the club in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I really like Luke Ayling and feel that he has great potential as a defensive midfielder.  Maybe a tad slow to be a top class full back - but is nevertheless a great and versatile footballer.  We should do everything to keep him at the club in my opinion.

I agree. Not quite right to compare him to the great Bradley Orr, but similar in that he gives his all in every game and genuinely enjoys playing. He might not have the greatest talent but certainly makes up either effort and commitment. And like Bradley I think he might be the sort of player you need in the dressing room.

11 minutes ago, RedM said:

I agree. Not quite right to compare him to the great Bradley Orr, but similar in that he gives his all in every game and genuinely enjoys playing. He might not have the greatest talent but certainly makes up either effort and commitment. And like Bradley I think he might be the sort of player you need in the dressing room.

The great Bradley Orr?  Is this some sort of in-joke?

15 minutes ago, RedM said:

I agree his personality is a good fit (as long as he's happy as a squad player rather than a regular starter) but I can't help thinking that lots of people rate Ayling as a defensive midfielder despite the fact nobody's ever really seen him play there.  Either three successive managers at City, plus two more at Yeovil, have collectively missed a trick or fans are seeing something that may not be there.  I can't help thinking that the fact he's not stepped in whilst Korey was out suggests LJ and JP don't see him as a midfielder either...

8 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I agree his personality is a good fit (as long as he's happy as a squad player rather than a regular starter) but I can't help thinking that lots of people rate Ayling as a defensive midfielder despite the fact nobody's ever really seen him play there.  Either three successive managers at City, plus two more at Yeovil, have collectively missed a trick or fans are seeing something that may not be there.  I can't help thinking that the fact he's not stepped in whilst Korey was out suggests LJ and JP don't see him as a midfielder either...

Weren't Korey and Ayling both out injured at roughly the same time though, harsh to say he hadn't come in to replace him when he's been recovering from a knee op?

As for being a squad player, yes I can see Ayling being next seasons Wagstaff.

14 minutes ago, RedM said:

Weren't Korey and Ayling both out injured at roughly the same time though, harsh to say he hadn't come in to replace him when he's been recovering from a knee op?

As for being a squad player, yes I can see Ayling being next seasons Wagstaff.

Fair point.  To be honest, I completely forgot Ayling originally lost his place through injury. I stand corrected. 

7 minutes ago, Strawberry2157. said:

Take your pick based on the last two performances!!

Mathews ? ain't gonna happen

Flint ?? Not a chance 

Baker ? Can't see that either

Pack, Smith or Bryan again no. 

Can't see anything but an injury forcing him back in at the moment, I'd like to see if he could do a role as DM . When we're safe of course.

1 hour ago, Strawberry2157. said:

I think we're massively missing Aylings distribution. Really can't understand him being left out, I would have had him straight back into the team once he was fit. Johnson Snr didn't fancy him at Yeovil & I'm afraid like father like son...

Johnson senior didnt fancy him ? He was player of the year in Yeovil's championship year, then he left for us which pissed Gary off.

2 hours ago, Fat Cigar said:

The best part of Ayling's game is bringing the ball out of defence. It's also led to him getting tackled and goals being conceded. This was more a case at the beginning of the season. He's what I'd call a cultured defender. Flint's distribution is non-existent in comparison. Too often he just hoofs the ball up field and the opposition win back possession, as happened countless times last night.

Flint is a centre back and for a player in that position his distribution is usually reasonable, sometimes very good. He had an off night last night in that respect, certainly, but it was noticeable that the much lauded Baker also played a number of long balls seemingly aimlessly and straight to the opposition.

What puzzled me was why were supposedly more creative players like Smith and Pack continually passing the ball back to them in positions where they had little alternative but to hit it first time, instead of taking responsibility themselves to play more positive balls forward. If you put pressure on your centre backs to clear the ball quickly their only concern as defenders, quite understandably, will be to do just that.

As for Ayling, he's a very solid and versatile player, possibly a master of no particular trade in our current squad, but nevertheless one who will have no difficulty finding another Championship club if LJ for some reason decides he's not in his plans. 

It would be a very bold and contentious decision by LJ to phase him out in order to move him on, and one BCFC would undoubtedly live to regret imo.

1 hour ago, Strawberry2157. said:

I think we're massively missing Aylings distribution. Really can't understand him being left out, I would have had him straight back into the team once he was fit. Johnson Snr didn't fancy him at Yeovil & I'm afraid like father like son...

What are you on about. Johnson Snr made him captain at Yeovil in their promotion season, and championship season. What you said is quite simply wrong. 

33 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Flint is a centre back and for a player in that position his distribution is usually reasonable, sometimes very good. He had an off night last night in that respect, certainly, but it was noticeable that the much lauded Baker also played a number of long balls seemingly aimlessly and straight to the opposition.

What puzzled me was why were supposedly more creative players like Smith and Pack continually passing the ball back to them in positions where they had little alternative but to hit it first time, instead of taking responsibility themselves to play more positive balls forward. If you put pressure on your centre backs to clear the ball quickly their only concern as defenders, quite understandably, will be to do just that.

As for Ayling, he's a very solid and versatile player, possibly a master of no particular trade in our current squad, but nevertheless one who will have no difficulty finding another Championship club if LJ for some reason decides he's not in his plans. 

It would be a very bold and contentious decision by LJ to phase him out in order to move him on, and one BCFC would undoubtedly live to regret imo.

Agree with that. But this has characterised our season. Ball goes forward, out wide, then back again. Players either lacking in confidence to do anything with (e.g. the killer pass) it or simply not good enough. There was a distinct lack of leadership last night. No one drove us on. 

I certainly wouldn't sell Ayling. Not yet, anyway. I'd like to think he's one of those who will learn from this season. I just have no idea where I'd play him at the moment. Is he strong enough for centre-mid? In place of Joe? 

21 hours ago, Fat Cigar said:

Agree with that. But this has characterised our season. Ball goes forward, out wide, then back again. Players either lacking in confidence to do anything with (e.g. the killer pass) it or simply not good enough. There was a distinct lack of leadership last night. No one drove us on. 

I certainly wouldn't sell Ayling. Not yet, anyway. I'd like to think he's one of those who will learn from this season. I just have no idea where I'd play him at the moment. Is he strong enough for centre-mid? In place of Joe? 

Quite agree about lack of killer passes and leadership. Bobby Reid is capable of defence splitting passes but not only are these incredibly few and far between but he drifts in and out of games alarmingly and there are so many ingrained weaknesses in his game for this level that he's more or less unpickable as a regular starter.

Why the likes of Smith and Pack so often fiddle around with a series of ineffective short passes before passing the buck to a defender to make the decisive pass forward is a mystery which would rattle me if I were LJ. The midfielders are picked to take that responsibility, not the central defenders, so don't pass it straight back to them 2 or 3 times when they've just played the ball to you! Derrick Williams was shown up in the same way, with some awful forward hacks before it became apparent his overall struggles were not a temporary malaise and he lost his place.

We still badly lack that creative, battling midfielder in the Wade Elliot mould. Someone of his ilk, with leadership qualities, should be near the very top of LJ/MA's Summer shopping list.

As for Ayling, we have a small squad, very small if most of the loanees decline to stay on, and Ayling is an experienced Championship player who will at the very least be an asset to the squad due to his versatility. LJ might even have a completely different role in mind for him as evidenced by JB's recent surprise move to central midfield. Either way, he's a very good footballer who we should keep.

Archived