IGNORED

Your Favourite Owl?

Jack Dawe

30 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

David Hirst.

His son has just signed a professional contract with us. Ridiculous amount of pressure on the lad. 

The first player I always think of with you lot is Nicky Maynard. 

And he ALWAYS scores against us, without fail. 

As a few on hear know from previous posts, my old man worked for Ashton Containers and got moved oop North in 1965 Sadly, nearest club was either Chesterfield or Mansfield and having just been promoted from Div 3 at the gate, we couldnt drop down two divs for our football, so chose Wednesday ( which meant a respray of my rattle and a blue and white scarf ...................I know, you CAN get used to it !!!!!. Went to Wembley for the 1966 final as a 16 year old and had a great day out, sadly being eclipsed by my ( and Cyderedinacan's) gran-dad having a heart attack and passing away that evening. Whenever we play the Owls I hope for a draw normally, but as we need the points, sorry boys at Hillsborough, we would appreciate the 3 and you carry on getting from the others and get back into the top flight. Pictured here is the 1966 Cup Final Team. All good in my book especially the great, late Ron Springett.

wed 1966.jpg

12 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

Please tell me that's a joke or a reality of how bad we have underachieved for so long

Not a joke, sorry if that caused offence.

He was a decent player for you lot wasn't he? I've got a vague memory of him scoring an unbelievable goal that won goal of the season.

4 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

He was a decent player for you lot wasn't he? I've got a vague memory of him scoring an unbelievable goal that won goal of the season.

He was very good for us until he got injured, I don't think he was the same player after that and annoyed quite a few people with some childish comments when he left.

10 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

He was a good player until his knees packed up. The goal is on youtube v qpr. Unbelievable strike.

Anyone remember the Eagle owl that was spotted in Bristol a few years back? Didn't the Post run a story saying he was here to watch Yannick Bolasie?

hqdefault.jpg

Aggressive buggers these, mind...this one, below, was up Gloster....weird cider up there though...

stream_img.jpg

Big buggers, and aggressive. I wouldn't like to see Rotherham's Halford meet one of these in a dark alley without Neil Warnock to keep him safe...

27FB305400000578-0-image-a-34_1429974735262.jpg

Terry Curran, for the older browsers?

curran-terry-8x6138-2430207_478x359.jpg

One of the 70s mavericks that never makes it into Football Maverick books or ITV4 programmes. Great attacking mid in his day though. Played in the late 70s Sheff derbies in Div 3 where the crowd was 42k at Utd and 49k at Weds. In Div 3! Think he scored too.

36 minutes ago, Owl Visiting said:

Nah purely tongue In cheek comment no offense caused just made me realised how average we have been if a pretty average player like Maynard is what we are remembered for. 

7 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Terry Curran, for the older browsers?

curran-terry-8x6138-2430207_478x359.jpg

One of the 70s mavericks that never makes it into Football Maverick books or ITV4 programmes. Great attacking mid in his day though. Played in the late 70s Sheff derbies in Div 3 where the crowd was 42k at Utd and 49k at Weds. In Div 3! Think he scored too.

Calm down , calm down .

Gary Shelton, that's me welling up again

I will never get bored of telling everyone who much I loved that man, was always covered in mud, always look knackered, but he was bloody amazing

If I ever get a dog I'm gonna call him Shelton

Cyclops owl which is very rare in Britain but heard them every night while living in Portugal. It's call is very similar to an electronic bleep and while we never actually saw them in the dark, it was fascinating to listen to a pair calling to each other as they hunted. The bleeps from each one got closer together, the closer they got to their prey.

As for Wednesday, for a short time, I worked with Jack Wilkinson who played for Man City and Wednesday in the 1950's when "Golden Boy" Albert Quixall was a star Owl. He was in their team when City played them and won 3-2 1955-56. Only 32,000 bothered to turn up, the second highest of the season. (Highest was 38,000 against the Unmentionables)

Realism tells me that we will do very well to get a point let alone a goal.  

Archived