IGNORED

Kodjia has to start tomorrow

Londoner

I was reading on Twitter and to some extent on here how we are better suited to have Wilbraham up top with Tomlin, Bryan and Odemwingie around him. However, with Kodjias pace, trickery, skill, power etc I do feel like we are really missing a trick with him left on the bench.

We look at his 15 goals, 6th highest in the league, minus penalties and he is top 4. Also, we resort to long ball with Wilbraham up top and against 2 sometimes 3 centre backs by himself I can't help but feel he is fighting a losing battle.

Even when Kodjia looks quiet he gets chances, granted he doesn't always take them, but he does seem to create more individually than a Wilbraham.

I also feel against Lees and potentially Loovens, they will have a field day against Wilbs, playing into their hands and baring in mind they have had 4 away clean sheets, I think Kodjia could be the ace in the pack that takes them for suprise.

just my thoughts, need our best players on the pitch tomorrow

I thought playing Wilbs against Rotherham was the right move, as it turned out we went route one way too much and the plan never really worked that well. Tomorrow is a different game and I think Kodjia's  movement will be important.

Yep, agree, Kodjia to start for me.  The goal scoring pressure is off of him since Tomlin and now Odemwingie have chipped in.

I think we did play into Rotherham's hand with Wilbs and the long ball, but rather Wilbs getting a bashing from Wood and Bigfoot, than Kodjia.  Tomorrow is more likely Kodjia's type of game.

Think that Smith will be the most important factor tomorrow though.  Will need his snapping around to get the ball back against a decent passing team.

7 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Haven't seen Kodjia have a good game from when starting since we went to one up top. But Wilbraham is probably not up to starting twice in a week.

Not got huge faith in either of them in that system tomorrow, tbh.

Ipswich? {assuming you don't just base a striker's performance on how many goals he gets in a game}

back to my previous post I wonder whether we might need to be a bit more 433 than 4231 tomorrow, slotting in Joe alongside Korey and Marlon, and Tomlin left, Odemwingie Right.  It can be a bit 4141 too.

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I thought playing Wilbs against Rotherham was the right move, as it turned out we went route one way too much and the plan never really worked that well. Tomorrow is a different game and I think Kodjia's  movement will be important.

Picking Wilbraham wasn't the problem - not picking Kodjia was. 

I thought Wilbs played well Tuesday. Nonetheless he saw our 90 mins. For that reason Kodjia must start. We've seen how he is when he's being flogged and I think/hope LJ is too savvy for that. 

10 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Tricky one but I think I agree. Lees and Loovens might be big but they`re not overly dirty so you could be right about JK`s pace working. Add to that, Wilbs did 90 on Tuesday (don`t think he was subbed) against a couple of dirty, fouling lumps so he might need a break anyway.

Yep agree. Wednesday will play football and attack.  We need to hit them quickly on the break.  As well as Kodjia I'd like to see Reid involved too.  Gets the ball forward quickly and links well with Tomlin.  Plus going on the Wednesday ABBA poster, their midfield is small and nimble so I think  Reid would cope.

As others have said, given Wilbs did 90 mins Tues, suspect Kodjia will start.

I just wish Kodjia could play more intelligently in terms of staying onside. Frustrating when given his pace he just needs to stay on the shoulder of the last defender to burst into space, he simply goes too early too often. Under SC the comments were that it was the midfield fault for not releasing the pass soon enough, but you now see him getting offside from quick passes from Tomlin & JB since he has moved central. If Kodjia could sort that aspect of his game out it would make him so much more of a threat than he already is.

Kodjia shouod start every game minus a couple just for rest. He's our most talented forward and he suits the attaching options we now have. Kodjia has lacked service all season and now we have Tomlin & Odemwingie he has been playing less. It's strange. I know he strays offside a bit and isn't the most clinical but he's dangerous and a constant thorn in defender's sides. He needs to play.

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Kodjia shouod start every game minus a couple just for rest. He's our most talented forward and he suits the attaching options we now have. Kodjia has lacked service all season and now we have Tomlin & Odemwingie he has been playing less. It's strange. I know he strays offside a bit and isn't the most clinical but he's dangerous and a constant thorn in defender's sides. He needs to play.

Tomlin and Odemwingie can spot the pass earlier, hopefully meaning Kodjia can time his runs better.

14 hours ago, Londoner said:

I was reading on Twitter and to some extent on here how we are better suited to have Wilbraham up top with Tomlin, Bryan and Odemwingie around him. However, with Kodjias pace, trickery, skill, power etc I do feel like we are really missing a trick with him left on the bench.

We look at his 15 goals, 6th highest in the league, minus penalties and he is top 4. Also, we resort to long ball with Wilbraham up top and against 2 sometimes 3 centre backs by himself I can't help but feel he is fighting a losing battle.

Even when Kodjia looks quiet he gets chances, granted he doesn't always take them, but he does seem to create more individually than a Wilbraham.

I also feel against Lees and potentially Loovens, they will have a field day against Wilbs, playing into their hands and baring in mind they have had 4 away clean sheets, I think Kodjia could be the ace in the pack that takes them for suprise.

just my thoughts, need our best players on the pitch tomorrow

Kodjia can't defend, sounds negative I know but with just baker and flint we don't have much height. Start with wilbs for an hour if you ask me

Best we can hope for today is a draw or nick a win if we can defend well enough.  They are a good team who play excellent football so we need to pack the midfield and hit on the break

.                     O'Donnell

Matthews.    Flint.    Baker.    Golbourne

Pack

Ayling.    Smith.   Bryan

Tomlin

.                  Odemwingie

5 hours ago, old_eastender said:

As others have said, given Wilbs did 90 mins Tues, suspect Kodjia will start.

I just wish Kodjia could play more intelligently in terms of staying onside. Frustrating when given his pace he just needs to stay on the shoulder of the last defender to burst into space, he simply goes too early too often. Under SC the comments were that it was the midfield fault for not releasing the pass soon enough, but you now see him getting offside from quick passes from Tomlin & JB since he has moved central. If Kodjia could sort that aspect of his game out it would make him so much more of a threat than he already is.

He needs a delay spray .

21 hours ago, Robin1988 said:

Haven't seen Kodjia have a good game from when starting since we went to one up top. But Wilbraham is probably not up to starting twice in a week.

Not got huge faith in either of them in that system tomorrow, tbh.

Kodjia waa great today, that turn was class shame he couldn't finish it.

Sheff fans thought he was our best player.

Top signing and he seems to be loving it too.

8 hours ago, RedDave said:

Best we can hope for today is a draw or nick a win if we can defend well enough.  They are a good team who play excellent football so we need to pack the midfield and hit on the break

.                     O'Donnell

Matthews.    Flint.    Baker.    Golbourne

Pack

Ayling.    Smith.   Bryan

Tomlin

.                  Odemwingie

Fortunately you were wide of the mark here but I thought they did show glimpses of the side they obviously can be. Bannan in particular was good, thought he'd slot in well to our side actually, very tidy midfielder. 

12 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Yep, he was. Supported very well by Freeman and Tomlin so looked far less isolated. His decision making is improving a lot too.

10 hours ago, leylandsroad said:

Kodjia can't defend, sounds negative I know but with just baker and flint we don't have much height. Start with wilbs for an hour if you ask me

Won 2 or 3 defensive headers at corners today.....plus he's 6'2".

1 hour ago, Londoner said:

Was absolute class today....can only remember one long drive from Flint today....

[and that was to Tomlin, who took on Palmer, got brought down and then scored the pen. 3-0]

....as his inclusion made us play more on the floor.  His movement today was great, even when he didn't get the ball.  Would've been a great goal, the left foot shot in first half that keeper saved.

Archived