IGNORED

Luke Freeman

MC RISK77

Sure there will be plenty of threads about various players tonight but thought Luke took his chance well today great assist for Reid and thought he looked tidy through out the game...another very important squad player next season, maybe not a regular starter depending on who we buy but he has the ability to change a game.

it may be blind faith but does anyone think we can kick on next season? Feeling very optimistic

4 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Sure there will be plenty of threads about various players tonight but thought Luke took his chance well today great assist for Reid and thought he looked tidy through out the game...another very important squad player next season, maybe not a regular starter depending on who we buy but he has the ability to change a game.

it may be blind faith but does anyone think we can kick on next season? Feeling very optimistic

I do. A very strong performance, some strong running particularly and he used the ball well. Nearly got a good goal from his weaker foot too.  

One swallow doesn't make a summer, so based on his performance over the season, the answer from me is "no". I haven't a clue what Mark Ashton and Lee Johnson's plans are for next season's signings, but I hope they're not basing their strategy on Freeman being a first team regular. 

Still the lack of confidence is hindering him, I was really hoping he would finish that 1 on 1 chance because I think it's what he really needs. He is hitting the ball like a player who has no real expectation that the ball will go in the net. I honestly think he has the talent, it's just all in the head really.

5 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Someone told him at the end of last season that he needed to bulk up for the championship. Because of that he lost a yard of pace and struggled. Hopefully will get some confidence towards the end of the season and play a big part next season 

Not true - you can't 'bulk up' between May and pre season, it would take a good year to notice any big difference. Considering he's an endurance athlete basically, it makes it even more difficult.

5 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

a year?! No chance. Between May and the start of the season is 3 or 4 months. A professional athlete who can train all day everyday and has personal training plans and nutritionists can basically get to wherever they want in that time. Actors, boxers etc do it all the time

No way. The human body can only do so much. If he was to pack on a great deal of size his eating plans would go out the window. You can't really do anything in a couple of months, especially without any sort of steroid. 

He hasn't had a great season, but those who say "league one is his level" are surely wrong.

He's simply tried too hard to do it all himself and needs coaching to make the right choices. His potential is still there and I'm convinced he'll return as a regular starter and one of our most effective attackers.

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Still the lack of confidence is hindering him, I was really hoping he would finish that 1 on 1 chance because I think it's what he really needs. He is hitting the ball like a player who has no real expectation that the ball will go in the net. I honestly think he has the talent, it's just all in the head really.

A regular goal scorer would have rolled that one in  toward the far post - not tried to blast it in.

6 minutes ago, Leveller said:

He hasn't had a great season, but those who say "league one is his level" are surely wrong.

He's simply tried too hard to do it all himself and needs coaching to make the right choices. His potential is still there and I'm convinced he'll return as a regular starter and one of our most effective attackers.

Coaching to make right choices? Not sure I agree. I think there is more to it than that. I think he could potentially have a part to play next season but I would argue those who say he is league one standard, based on the evidence of this season have a good argument. One thing is for sure, we can't really afford to have such a lack of goals throughout the team next season, especially from our more 'creative' players.

He was ok for me today. I think he can be better and today he wasn't bad. He moved it quicker most of the time and he and Matthews had a good understanding. He can definitely be a player at this level but as some others have said his confidence doesn't seem high especially in the final third. I'm still waiting to see him score and I've seen him play 40+ times now. 

3 hours ago, Leveller said:

I would say exactly this. Unfortunately he is in the class of 'not big enough to make it at this level'. 

He's not strong enough on the ball and where his ball retention was outstanding last year, he seems to have lost that when coming up against better/bigger/stronger players. He may have got a lot of assists last season but most of these were from corners (flint scored 13 goals i believe) so he never really had a good assist record from open play. His final ball/finishing is very poor, and it shows that he hasn't had the same success this season. On the City website it stated that he had yet to score at Ashton Gate, which as an attacking midfielder is not really goo enough in the two years he has been here.

We have looked a lot more effective with him out of the team, today not included as his replacement (Odemwingie) would have still created the chances and probably buried the 1-on-1 that he had.

16 hours ago, adamc6203 said:

I would say exactly this. Unfortunately he is in the class of 'not big enough to make it at this level'. 

He's not strong enough on the ball and where his ball retention was outstanding last year, he seems to have lost that when coming up against better/bigger/stronger players. He may have got a lot of assists last season but most of these were from corners (flint scored 13 goals i believe) so he never really had a good assist record from open play. His final ball/finishing is very poor, and it shows that he hasn't had the same success this season. On the City website it stated that he had yet to score at Ashton Gate, which as an attacking midfielder is not really goo enough in the two years he has been here.

We have looked a lot more effective with him out of the team, today not included as his replacement (Odemwingie) would have still created the chances and probably buried the 1-on-1 that he had.

It will be interesting to see which of us Lee agrees with.

If it's you, Luke will be on his way.

If it's me he will stay.

Not a great comparison, but look at Lamela at Spurs.....taken just over a year to get used to The Prem....give Luke time, he's young.  Maybe he'll work out what is needed over the summer and come back an improved player.

He's not a million miles away, it's a fine line, this pro-game lark.  LJ has already mentioned that little bit of composure needed at the final point.

he's called out how still Odemwingie's head is when he strikes the ball.  Suggest LF works with PO over the coming weeks.

3 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Freeman is a technically gifted footballer who makes bad choices when he has the ball.

From Johnson's point of view, I feel he is worth persevering with; he is now doing less "round in circles" so is clearly being helped to improve. 

He`s definitely been better since he`s been out wide and doesn`t have to be the main creative player in the side.

Archived