IGNORED

The Official Brentford v Bristol City Match Day Thread

Good morning one and all. 

Flaking red paint floating into the gardens of terraced housing in Hounslow. A reason for not wishing to live close to a football ground I had not considered before. In 2004 local residents sighed in relief as Qatar Airways signed a deal to sponsor a roof of Griffin Park for the rather tidy sum of £375,000.00 for three years. In short fashion the Braemar Road stand depicting the red and white of computer gaming company Atari was over painted with that of the national airline of the country possibly hosting the 2022 World Cup. I have had the displeasure to have flown with QA; in spite of their generally good name they clearly do not always get it right.

In 1904, around the time Brentford took up residence at Griffin Park, so named for the logo of Fuller, Smith & Turner's Brewery whom owned the orchard on which the ground was 'built' there were no roofs nor even stands but only mud banks covered in ash. I feel sorry for the orchard. And back in those days less concern was paid for the rights of free loaders 'using' privately owned green spaces as gypsy dwellers were forcefully removed before Brentford moved in. The club managed a very respectable 5,500 spectators for their first match at Griffin Park; a draw with Plymouth Argyle in the Western League.

The record league attendance at Griffin Park is, to this day, 38, 000+ against Arsenal back in the Ted Drake days of the 30's. But enough of all that history psychobabble and on to 2016;  Only 12,500 can squeeze in today which is what it always felt like to me in or out of the tightly packed ground, cornered pubs and streets. I understand only three pubs remain when previously, many will recall, there was one on each corner. The names of the original four are The Griffin, The Princess Royal, The New Inn and The Royal Oak. Perhaps a City fan going to todays match can, chest pumped out, confidently stride into each and have a drink in each one and then let us all know which one has now closed; I believe one does welcome away fans but since both teams play in red and white you only need hide your dulcit Brizzle accent. 

City have a negative record against the Bees which surprised me a little. About 31 wins to our 27 give or take a  little bit of memory loss on my part. We also lost rather disappointingly at The Gate back in August and were defeated in the previous two fixtures before that. Shirley says we need to avenge those losses today. I think thats Red Yoshi's alter ego name. 

Both teams are on a bit of form ours a little better although that means a relative diddly squat.

As I sit tapping these words on a packed Philippine Airlines flight mid way between Cebu and Manila I do feel rather optimistic we will prevail today in a fairly entertaining relatively high scoring affair.

Bravo to the brilliant fans we have ,nay the very best fans, making the journey down the numbingly boring M4 to roar us on to a splendid result.

Brentford 2 City 3
Odemwinge, Wilbraham 2 (if he is fit again) if not then Kodjia and Tomlin.
UTC. 
Enjoy the day everyone.
Safety after today? 
  • Like 9
7 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

What is around the corner on the roller coaster? Uphill or downhill?

It's in the Bristol City DNA never to do more than what is absolutley necessary.

What a brilliant time to make this comment in the wake of the Bolton & Sheff Wednesday results. 

• Like 1

Good post, as ever, from Havana but he always seem to be going somewhere on a flight or coming back. Perhaps he should change his name to Thereandbackagaintopia (and share some of his air miles with us)

Edited by pongo88
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

What are the chances of being able to find a stream online? Is it beam backed because it's being broadcast somewhere Or is the beamback just something instigated by city.  

There almost certainly won't be one. It's not being televised anywhere else, just being fed back to Ashton Gate via the Football League's fibre optic network.

2 minutes ago, bobbyhutchscurlymullet said:

Golbourne for Reid I believe. But i agree, a tad odd

Especially with how good he was last week. Bizarre. Saying that freeman must be due a good game.

Edited by Super