IGNORED

Richard O'Donnell

Londoner

Great that we seemingly have a top championship keeper, can't remember the last time we had someone who fills the team and fans with confidence....probably not since basso.

Even the top keepers in this league like Marshall, Kucsazk, Stockdale etc have made howlers this season but it's also good to see him maintaining his quality, or even getting better since signing a permanent deal.

Top man O'Donnell

3 minutes ago, WarksRobin said:

He has been excellent for us and I would include him in the small group of players we must hold on to this summer as we continue to build a squad capable of heading for the play offs.

As you say, top man.

He's signed a permanent deal in February, why would he be off anywhere?

Ye quality keeper seems to have fitted in really well . I was at the game yesterday and with the away end so close to the pitch u could here and see him talking organising and encouraging constantly. Also his celebration at fuhlam was class by itself. My only question is on some of his goal kicks he seems to slice them . Could be meant obviously .

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

After 2/3 dodgy games in last 5/6 it was good to see him play so well yesterday.  Hopefully he can put recent games behind him.

Agree, he's definitely had a couple of suspect games, but I prefer his commitment to going for whatever he decides is his.  Nothing worse than a hesitant goalie (see Mignolet) to cause the jitters.

Overall, though, he has been excellent, and he certainly engages with the fans, which always gives you a bit of leeway if you make a mistake.

Finally, I think it is also important to have a good 2nd choice....they need to push each other on the training ground.  So I really hope we keep FF.  MO'L should go out on loan again next season.

He had a good game yesterday.....not doubt....what makes me nervous at AG is when he lingers dangerously too far from his goal line....agree with you about the confidence thing....I used to close my eyes and wince on a one on one....now I believe we have a chance to come out the other side unscathed 

19 minutes ago, MelksRed said:

He had a good game yesterday.....not doubt....what makes me nervous at AG is when he lingers dangerously too far from his goal line....agree with you about the confidence thing....I used to close my eyes and wince on a one on one....now I believe we have a chance to come out the other side unscathed 

He does like to roam, originally at the expense of my stress levels but his roaming has saved more than its cost so I have got over it.

It's like having an extra defender sometimes.

8 minutes ago, Pezo said:

He does like to roam, originally at the expense of my stress levels but his roaming has saved more than its cost so I have got over it.

It's like having an extra defender sometimes.

It`s inevitable he will get one wrong one day and either miss the ball or take out the attacker and get sent off. I`m happy to risk it though if he carries on commanding his area like he does.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He is decisive, you know 99% that if he says he coming for the ball, he IS coming for the ball.

Nothing against Frankie but it was noticeable in ROD`s first couple of games that he was having to shove the likes of Flinty and Baker out the way to get the ball as they`d obviously got used to having to clear it without the keeper coming.

1 hour ago, MelksRed said:

His command of the box is what sets him and Fielding apart I feel. Both about equal in shot stopping terms but ROD uses his 18 yard box very well and collects crosses too. I like his lingering; very much a sweeper keeper and he's headed clear a few times. I remember v Brum against Clayton Donaldson late in the game too he collected a dangerous ball for which Fielding would have been on the line for and likely forced in to a difficult save. 

In an odd way I think Fielding could learn a lot from O Donnell. If he adopted some of O Donnell's confidence around the box I think it'd be a camel's hair between them. Perhaps the best thing for FF's career now would be to train with O Donnell for the next 12 months. 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

He is decisive, you know 99% that if he says he coming for the ball, he IS coming for the ball.

I've never known a keeper who has headed the ball as much as Ro'D has. A very good keeper, along with Frankie we have (finally) 2 good options. 

35 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

To think we found a quality keeper sat on the bench in league 1...

ZC could be on the bench in League One next year :facepalm::rofl2br:

47 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

To think we found a quality keeper sat on the bench in league 1...

It's a strange position, and can be massively influenced by confidence.

in Wigan's case, ROD has a bad spell and got replaced by Jussi (can't spell his his last name).  I guess they preferred to gave young guy on the bench.  Who knows financially what ROD might get in win bonuses for being part of match day squad?

Our gain.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It's a strange position, and can be massively influenced by confidence.

in Wigan's case, ROD has a bad spell and got replaced by Jussi (can't spell his his last name).  I guess they preferred to gave young guy on the bench.  Who knows financially what ROD might get in win bonuses for being part of match day squad?

Our gain.

Think they were quick to judge him, like many here were (certainly including myself) in respect of Flint; maybe Bobby Reid too is another I shall hold my hands up too. 

Sometimes it takes some time to click, but you shouldn't bin them off if you saw something worth signing. Their loss is certainly our game. 

5 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Think they were quick to judge him, like many here were (certainly including myself) in respect of Flint; maybe Bobby Reid too is another I shall hold my hands up too. 

Sometimes it takes some time to click, but you shouldn't bin them off if you saw something worth signing. Their loss is certainly our game. 

True. I`d add Matt Smith and Adam Matthews to that.

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Agree, he's definitely had a couple of suspect games, but I prefer his commitment to going for whatever he decides is his.  Nothing worse than a hesitant goalie (see Mignolet) to cause the jitters.

Overall, though, he has been excellent, and he certainly engages with the fans, which always gives you a bit of leeway if you make a mistake.

Finally, I think it is also important to have a good 2nd choice....they need to push each other on the training ground.  So I really hope we keep FF.  MO'L should go out on loan again next season.

FF isn't good enough in my opinion, we should let him go and bring in a younger keeper with potential..

2 minutes ago, 'keepuplino' said:

FF isn't good enough in my opinion, we should let him go and bring in a younger keeper with potential..

Have you seen MK Dons' position? Forgot when we had O Leary in the sticks? It'd be a privilege, and our own, to have FF playing understudy. If someone came in with a bid, and he wanted to go I'd agree, but otherwise we should not be touting his name is my opinion. 

16 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Have you seen MK Dons' position? Forgot when we had O Leary in the sticks? It'd be a privilege, and our own, to have FF playing understudy. If someone came in with a bid, and he wanted to go I'd agree, but otherwise we should not be touting his name is my opinion. 

I agree not a bad understudy but shouldn't we be striving for some better competition for O Donnell?

I didn't think O leary disgraced himself by any means, Clearly not the answer though.

26 minutes ago, 'keepuplino' said:

Frankie does not command his box well enough, but he is a fine shop stopper and technically very good with his hands.  His kicking is decent....despite him kicking out of play....trying to hit a pinpoint 60 yard kick to a 2 yard target right on the touch line (Joe Bryan) is not a risk-free policy.  Had he kicked it down the middle all season people would say his kicking is sound.  He is good with it at his feet.

24 minutes ago, 29AR said:

I don't see Frankie as 'understudy', just not first choice.  I don't think LJ would think twice about picking him is ROD was injured or suffers a crises of confidence.  I see him more as 'not being in possession of the green / light grey jersey' at the current time.

I suspect we might see a better Frankie playing behind the current defence rather than the one that got opened up so easily pre-Xmas.

54 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Yep, posters on here are too quick to judge....both + and - views....but most are too quick to say someone ain't good enough.

How many of us are being shipped around a country at a moment's notice, with little say in the matter, and expected to perform.  Not many I suspect.

Take a more extreme example....a young Camerounian, brought to this club for 'a punt', does not speak the language.  I wonder how much the club are doing to help him settle and perform to the best of his ability?  I hope they are doing lots, even for a 20 year old who cost £50k.  I saw him in IKEA last week on his own.  Wanted to go over and have a chat, but would've felt a bit like a stalker!  Nor can I speak French!  I hope fans give him a chance when he does get a chance for us.

I do like those of you who express an opinion and then change it over time.  Of course it's fine to have an opinion after one game, or even from a few highlights on the telly, but form a fuller view after a 6-10 games....or more.  That's what scouts do!

Archived