IGNORED

Joe Bryan

Lew-T

Bryan could get away with the LWB role, however it appears not as an out and out left back. More then happy to see him back at LW as a 3 behind the striker though. Push Tomlin central and bring Odemwingie back on the right.

Quite a few of our players were terrible tonight and Joe was one of the worst. Been a big learning curve for him and this season will do him good and he will put it down to experience . Sure next year he will be more consistent in his displays . 

Was an absolute shocker. I think even he expected to be subbed. Hopefully an aberration. Much better performances in central midfield when Korey was out. KS was another one who didn't have a great game today either.

As for Joe he is a bright young man & I am sure he will come back better next season.

55 minutes ago, hodge said:

Bryan could get away with the LWB role, however it appears not as an out and out left back. More then happy to see him back at LW as a 3 behind the striker though. Push Tomlin central and bring Odemwingie back on the right.

This. Spot on.

Played out of what I think is his better position.

Love the lad, He will get it right and when he does consistently in this league we will have a player on our hands.

Agree with other posts, had a shocker. Smith dosent look for either and it is the midfield where we lost it tonight. They were stronger in the tackle and won most of the second balls and pressed us all over the pitch.

Poor performance tonight and LJ said if players cannot follow his instructions and meet the expectations of the club to move forward then they won't be around - interesting comment as we approach the end of the season.

13 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

It seemed every time Joe touched the ball it went the wrong way…it skimmed off his boot for a corner, skimmed of his head at some weird angle, nothing seemed to go right. He did seem out of sorts. Just seemed to be having a bad day. He'll be back

He's was ok for the first 30 mins, until they scored. He and Matthews were on instructions to stay central to stop ince and their very useful numbers 2 and 11 from cutting in. matthews as a genuine full back did a pretty good job. Joe found it difficult and this affected his confidence I think. Second half he was poor, but then so were freeman, Tomlin, smith and a couple of others. Only pack,Matthews and maybe kodjia were any good second half, 

He didn't have a good game, but as others have said he was asked to do a job that wasn't his first choice and against  a quality opponent.

Got to say this for him though, he doesn't hide away after the game. Always first to go to the SouthStand and Dolman to clap the fans. (Flint and Pack do this too, no matter what). 

14 minutes ago, RedM said:

He didn't have a good game, but as others have said he was asked to do a job that wasn't his first choice and against  a quality opponent.

Got to say this for him though, he doesn't hide away after the game. Always first to go to the SouthStand and Dolman to clap the fans. (Flint and Pack do this too, no matter what). 

Agree - Reid too when he plays. Good to see Kodjia hand over his match shirt to a kid in the Dolman and stop for some pics with fans down there too.

1 hour ago, redfieldred said:

He's was ok for the first 30 mins, until they scored. He and Matthews were on instructions to stay central to stop ince and their very useful numbers 2 and 11 from cutting in. matthews as a genuine full back did a pretty good job. Joe found it difficult and this affected his confidence I think. Second half he was poor, but then so were freeman, Tomlin, smith and a couple of others. Only pack,Matthews and maybe kodjia were any good second half, 

The back four seemed to shy away from the opposition, especially around/in the box. Baker didn't look as committed as he usually does

16 minutes ago, RedM said:

LJ says LB is his best position, but I prefer him in midfield because he can be error-prone on occasions

6 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

LJ says LB is his best position, but I prefer him in midfield because he can be error-prone on occasions

This happens a lot with our players doesn't it, and with different managers so that's not the common factor. Wasn't it Skuse that was always bring told his best position was as a defender not a midfielder. Several others too who I can't think of now. Orr was a midfielder before he arrived and made a very solid go at dropping into defence.

12 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Agree - Reid too when he plays. Good to see Kodjia hand over his match shirt to a kid in the Dolman and stop for some pics with fans down there too.

Yes, agree about Bobby. It's quite noticeable how many others distance themselves after a defeat, and sometimes a draw, but are there when we win.

As for Kodjia, I didn't see this today but he must be giving Scott Murray a right headache. During the warm up at Brentford he kicked a ball which hit a young fan. He went over and seemed to be saying he would give the fan his shirt after the game. As soon as the final whistle blew I noticed him taking off his shirt and scanning the touch line for the fan, he found him/her and gave away his shirt. Credit to him for that, he does seem a genuinely nice guy.

Agreed he had a bad game last night, but think he's been very decent at LB lately. Solid as a rock vs Sheff Weds - whoever it was he was marking was in his pocket the entire game. So good in the air and very strong considering his size. Worthy contender for Golbourne. 

2 hours ago, INCRED said:

Agree with other posts, had a shocker. Smith dosent look for either and it is the midfield where we lost it tonight. They were stronger in the tackle and won most of the second balls and pressed us all over the pitch.

Poor performance tonight and LJ said if players cannot follow his instructions and meet the expectations of the club to move forward then they won't be around - interesting comment as we approach the end of the season.

Yes, very interesting comment. He also said this club would be moving forward rapidly, which suggested to me there are several signings lined up.

The confidence seemed to drain out on him and he ended up having a real nightmare.

But I back him to return strongly and be a really useful player for us next season. Remember he only played a handful of games at this level before so its his first full season in this league.

Was surprised at the amount of people getting on his back.

Archived