IGNORED

Victoria Wood

glynriley

I remember my sister was editor of our school newspaper (a position I'd held six years previously) and she wrote to Victoria Wood asking for any school anecdotes she could include in an anthology of childhood tales.

Lots of celebs replied, but VW was notable for sending a handwritten sevven-page letter packed with funny stories and all written in as down to earth way as possible.  

She was a busy TV star in those days and at the height of her fame, so I think we can conclude as well as being a funny lady she was also a very nice person. RIP 

**** me, someone has got it in for our childhood memories this year

Anyone who can get the line 'beat me on the bottom with a womans weekly' into a song is an absolute genius

Although, when someone text me to say 'Victoria Wood is dead' I had to read it twice, also happens to be my ex wife's name whilst we were married.....

Once again a popular well known celebrity has died tragically too young.

RIP Victoria Wood ... sad for family left behind far too soon.

However I must say I never got the 'comedy genius' tag... she was obviously a very talented lady and extremely highly regarded by peers within the entertainment business, but sorry for me I mostly found much of her work veering towards the cringeworthy... Based on reputation I really tried to enjoy her shows but unfortunately not to my taste...seems I'm in a minority as she was obviously adored by millions .

My respects go to her and her family as a human, I feel sure she was a lovely person, just that work wise I sense she kind of 'got lucky' to have reached such heights.

Comedy wise, performance and writing I personally would have put Caroline Aherne and Catherine Tate sketches, characters and shows head and shoulders above V Woods work.

I know its not the right time and place to voice these views, its just sometimes I can't fathom where the 'genius tags' come from and why some people appear to be showbiz royalty above others who appear to be more talented.. Sorry.

That said Victoria Wood did achieve iconic status during her sadly short lifetime and will be remembered and missed by millions of people around the World...

Victoria Wood R.I.P

1 hour ago, WhistleHappy said:

Once again a popular well known celebrity has died tragically too young.

RIP Victoria Wood ... sad for family left behind far too soon.

However I must say I never got the 'comedy genius' tag... she was obviously a very talented lady and extremely highly regarded by peers within the entertainment business, but sorry for me I mostly found much of her work veering towards the cringeworthy... Based on reputation I really tried to enjoy her shows but unfortunately not to my taste...seems I'm in a minority as she was obviously adored by millions .

My respects go to her and her family as a human, I feel sure she was a lovely person, just that work wise I sense she kind of 'got lucky' to have reached such heights.

Comedy wise, performance and writing I personally would have put Caroline Aherne and Catherine Tate sketches, characters and shows head and shoulders above V Woods work.

I know its not the right time and place to voice these views, its just sometimes I can't fathom where the 'genius tags' come from and why some people appear to be showbiz royalty above others who appear to be more talented.. Sorry.

That said Victoria Wood did achieve iconic status during her sadly short lifetime and will be remembered and missed by millions of people around the World...

Victoria Wood R.I.P

She caricaturised  Northern women in a gentle , loving way , a sort of female Les Dawson .

She was a bit anachronistic in the hard hitting world of alternative comedy of the 80's .

She will be missed and I suspect a bit embarrassed to be referred to as ' à comic genius ' .

RIP

Archived