IGNORED

Maynard - good enough for league 1??

It's a shame so many people hate on the guy for his personal decisions, I've never seen such potential from a player at the gate, more so arguably than Andy Cole, difference was Maynard got injured and never really came back the same, Cole went on to deliver on his potential. Hate him all you like but the bloke had buckets of potential and more technique than any of our current players do.

18 hours ago, Fiale said:

One obvious thing from this video which is so uncommon in the modern game, he rides so many challenges in pursuit of a goal. I'm not happy about how he left the club, like many others. But he did a real job for us, and made a lot of his 40+ goals himself. A talent that's lost his way to injuries in recent years. Probably more than capable in L1.

He certainly was a good PL player in the making but a combination of injury and attitude meant he didn't achieve his potential, though the source of the injury still seems to be a mystery.

The club was equally at fault for the way it ended though. We should have instantly accepted Leicester's offer whether or not Maynard was prepared to talk to them (and given what Leicester have done since who knows what it might have done for his career if he had not considered them beneath him?) as it may have encouraged other bids. Instead Millen and Sextone kept grovelling to him when it was obvious he would not sign a new contract so we lost out on a potentially considerable sum. I suspect SL has Maynard in mind when he says we must not become too attached to players so lesson learned I hope.

Archived