IGNORED

Germany arresting critics of Turkey

Fiale

As you may know prosecutors have been authorised by Merkel to look into the case of a poem critical of Turkey's president by Jan Bohmermann. Today another person was arrested for the same thing - it seems Germany is clamping down on people critical of Turkey's president... People think it's because she does not want to offend him and risk the new deal on refugees to collapse. So if people ask about the price of freedom... it's seems it can be bought up pretty cheap.

It's in German law that you cannot "insult" a foreign head of state. Obviously, this has been done many, many times but Erdogan is a touchy bastard and he is the only one to complain. The Kraut fuzz had no option but to act. I expect the "offenders" will get some sort of nominal fine.

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

It's in German law that you cannot "insult" a foreign head of state. Obviously, this has been done many, many times but Erdogan is a touchy bastard and he is the only one to complain. The Kraut fuzz had no option but to act. I expect the "offenders" will get some sort of nominal fine.

So you can't call Putin a "****" in Germany?

:dunno:

Uncle TFR

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Of course she had options Robbo, She could have told him to bugger off and reinstate the free press in his own country. But she can't do that can she because she has got herself into a right pickle cosying up to Turkey as a result of her all welcome migrant/refugee policy. I'm beginning to doubt whether Merkel and Hollande can last much longer such has been the outcry against the clampdown on freedom of expression. From what I can gather the comedian only called him a goat shagger anyway. Similar to how many people poke fun at the those lovely Welsh people across the river.

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

He'd be too macho to complain about it.

Just send a bloke with a radioactive teapot!

Has Germany got weak freedom of speech laws?

I think they should be taken to the European Court of Human Rights.

Lets get it done before June 2016.

Anyone got the freephone number for the ECHR??

Uncle TFR :englandsmile4wf:

1 hour ago, marshy said:

Of course she had options Robbo, She could have told him to bugger off and reinstate the free press in his own country. But she can't do that can she because she has got herself into a right pickle cosying up to Turkey as a result of her all welcome migrant/refugee policy. I'm beginning to doubt whether Merkel and Hollande can last much longer such has been the outcry against the clampdown on freedom of expression. From what I can gather the comedian only called him a goat shagger anyway. Similar to how many people poke fun at the those lovely Welsh people across the river.

I realise Angular Merkel is the great shaitan for some people on this forum - a bit like Bristol Sport is for some characters on the footie side - but she didn't order this comedian's arrest and she cannot arbitrarily nullify laws, it's a democracy not a dictatorship over there these days. Of course the law is ridiculous,  but it pre-dates Frau Merkel and it is not within her remit to take it off the statute book.

7 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I realise Angular Merkel is the great shaitan for some people on this forum - a bit like Bristol Sport is for some characters on the footie side - but she didn't order this comedian's arrest and she cannot arbitrarily nullify laws, it's a democracy not a dictatorship over there these days. Of course the law is ridiculous,  but it pre-dates Frau Merkel and it is not within her remit to take it off the statute book.

Well first of all my understanding is that any prosecution requires the express authorization of the German government. Secondly can we imagine the reaction in Germany and across Europe if the Great Demon Putin had decided to press for a prosecution of this sort? Would Merkel have yielded so readily? 

We are looking here at a centuries old law, rarely if ever used, certainly not in modern times, which has fallen into desuetude. I am sure she would have no problem whatsoever getting all party support in Parliament to nullify it. Instead she chooses to go along with a touchy Turk who has form on issues of this sort because of the corner she has backed herself into. Cosying up to a guy who is clamping down on the free press in his own country and moreover a leader who is opposing the very forces that seem to be having some success against Islamic State in Syria, obliterating Kurdish villages in Syria, attacking Kurdish positions in Iraq, not to mention in his own country Turkey. 

17 minutes ago, marshy said:

Well first of all my understanding is that any prosecution requires the express authorization of the German government. Secondly can we imagine the reaction in Germany and across Europe if the Great Demon Putin had decided to press for a prosecution of this sort? Would Merkel have yielded so readily? 

We are looking here at a centuries old law, rarely if ever used, certainly not in modern times, which has fallen into desuetude. I am sure she would have no problem whatsoever getting all party support in Parliament to nullify it. Instead she chooses to go along with a touchy Turk who has form on issues of this sort because of the corner she has backed herself into. Cosying up to a guy who is clamping down on the free press in his own country and moreover a leader who is opposing the very forces that seem to be having some success against Islamic State in Syria, obliterating Kurdish villages in Syria, attacking Kurdish positions in Iraq, not to mention in his own country Turkey. 

It isn't a "centuries old law". There wasn't even a federal republic of Germany centuries ago.

As I understand it, it was introduced decades ago to prevent demonstrations during state visits by foreign heads of state.  As with most German laws, you have to have a complainant and if no one bar Erdogan has been arsed to use this obscure act, that tells you more about him than it does the Germans. 

As nothing has as yet happened to the two German citizens charged with the offence, it may well yet be quashed, the cases rejected for trial or the German equivalent of a caution issued.  In other words, nothing.

I bet you're a big fan of Stan Boardman aren't you, Marshy. ;)

33 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

It isn't a "centuries old law". There wasn't even a federal republic of Germany centuries ago.

As I understand it, it was introduced decades ago to prevent demonstrations during state visits by foreign heads of state.  As with most German laws, you have to have a complainant and if no one bar Erdogan has been arsed to use this obscure act, that tells you more about him than it does the Germans. 

As nothing has as yet happened to the two German citizens charged with the offence, it may well yet be quashed, the cases rejected for trial or the German equivalent of a caution issued.  In other words, nothing.

I bet you're a big fan of Stan Boardman aren't you, Marshy. ;)

1871 I believe Robbo. That's almost centuries, certainly quite a lot of decades. Agree that it says more about Erdogan than anyone else. A slippery customer and one with whom we should not be attempting to do deals, it will not end well. Personally I'm hoping that Putin will not forget his 'consequences' threat for the downing of the Russian plane, maybe a little polonium in Erdogan's direction?

Btw I had to do a search for Stan Boardman, as I don't watch much TV.

Thought I should just add that I have tickets for Henning Wehn at Honiton...just to show my impartiality.

20 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

So you're telling me, all I have to do is take all the celebrities I hate who have a political view of David Cameron to Germany and ask them for their opinions of him & they'll be arrested??? Fantastic.

53 minutes ago, The Batman said:

So you're telling me, all I have to do is take all the celebrities I hate who have a political view of David Cameron to Germany and ask them for their opinions of him & they'll be arrested??? Fantastic.

It would have to be the Queen.  The law applies to heads of state.

57 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

It would have to be the Queen.  The law applies to heads of state.

Course. Forgive me. Still half asleep.

I'll sit on a plane with the corbynator and Gerry Adams as it will be worth it when I ask them outside Berlin airport for their opinion on the monarchy. 

3 minutes ago, The Batman said:

Course. Forgive me. Still half asleep.

I'll sit on a plane with the corbynator and Gerry Adams as it will be worth it when I ask them outside Berlin airport for their opinion on the monarchy. 

I thought old Gerard was a fan these days. Publicly sprained her and shook her hand and all that.

On Saturday, April 23, 2016 at 13:19, Taxi for Rennie said:

Has Germany got weak freedom of speech laws?

I think they should be taken to the European Court of Human Rights.

Lets get it done before June 2016.

Anyone got the freephone number for the ECHR??

Uncle TFR :englandsmile4wf:

Although the ECHR has nothing to do with EU whatever other than both institutions contain the word 'Europe'. (Cue foaming at the mouth).

5 hours ago, Calculus said:

Although the ECHR has nothing to do with EU whatever other than both institutions contain the word 'Europe'. (Cue foaming at the mouth).

Did he say they did? It's actually a valid point, even if it is TFR making it :o

1 minute ago, Aizoon said:

I thought TFR was just showing his usual hot-headed impatience ;) My bad :(

Sorry, I'm very, very old and only really speak English. What on earth does 'my bad' mean?  Genuine question - I see it written regularly and I've never known what it meant.

3 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Sorry, I'm very, very old and only really speak English. What on earth does 'my bad' mean?  Genuine question - I see it written regularly and I've never known what it meant.

How about maxima mea culpa?

Archived